THE MAN WHO KILLED HIS BROTHER, CH 8

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

kastenessen
Giantfriend

THE MAN WHO KILLED HIS BROTHER, CH 8

Post by kastenessen »

Chapter 8

The chapter starts out pretty good:
I still needed a drink. Sometimes beeing sober is like drowning; after a certain point, you know you're going to breathe, no matter what. But you don't - not until you pass out. I didn't go to a bar; I went to meet Ginny.
It's such...raw and sparse prose... and Brew's body and soul is still crawing for that amber-coulored liquid. He is really having an ordeal with this, all the time...anyway...

Brew leaves the Larsen's to meet Ginny at the School board. They arrive almost simultaneously.
I was glad to see her. The sun on all those parked cars gave the day a glare of futility - everybody in the whole city could go crazy, rape eachother and drop dead, and it would't make one damn bit difference to the sun. Ginny was a good antidote for that kind of thinking.
Something's going on within Brew that Ginny is responsible of...I can feel that Brew's secretly in love with her...:) He always feel good around her...

They discuss what they have come up with...and Ginny tells of another unworthy parent, Mrs Swift, who seemed to be glad to be rid of of her daughter - "ungrateful chippy, running off and leaving her poor mother all alone like that", she tore the note with the letter when she recieved it...and then the Hannibals, who were more ordinary and cared for their daughter, they reported her missing but didn't do "more" about it. They had the letter and the note...yep, same watermark...and all the girls were alone when they disappeared...

And now they enter the building of the school board and in the middle of an office landscape we are introduced to:
...a man came out of an office at the back of the room. He had light blonde hair, sleepy eyes, and a mouth so sharp and strong it looked like he ate steel for breakfast every morning. He wasn't in a hurry, but somehow he gave the impression he was pouncing.
He said, "Sondra." His voice wasn't loud, but it cut through all the work in the room, and a woman two desks away from him flinched. She was young and pretty. After I noticed that, I saw that all the secretaries who looked particularly miserablewere young and pretty. He went over and held a sheet of paper in front of her. He handled the paper gently enough, but in some strange way the movement made it look an act of violence. "Type it again," he said. "This time get it right." His tone was sarcastic enough to draw blood.
This is the first look at Julian Z Kirke,secretary...what an introduction! Another of SRD's ugly characters, already looking like a suspect...he brings them to his boss, Chairman Paul Stretto where Ginny lays it all out for him about the two missing girls. She wants to see files of the girls.. to look for clues. Stretto plays the question over to Kirke who is unvilling at first to give anything away on behalf of confidentiality. Ginny brings it up that there are seven dead girls as well. This stirs Stretto up, and he offers them help, but still needs permissions from the parents, in writing. Ginny tells them that the seven girls have been murdered. She shows them the notes and explains the connection.
The next minute, I was surprised to see a change come over Mr Paul M Stretto, Chairman of the Board of Education. All of a sudden, he didn't look like a man who just happen to have a lucky face any more. He looked like he had a right to that face.
Vintage SRD!:) Love this stuff!

After reading the notes Stretto calls for Astin Greenling and Martha Scurvey. They are to witness that he believes what Ginny has told him and that Ginny and Brew are to be given any help they want, that is to see the files. They are dismissed, picks up the notes and leaves his ofice. Kirke is back shortly with the files, but does not leave them alone when Brew and Ginny read them through. They didn't find anything in them, just took some notes. On their way out Brew is confronted by Kirke where he says:
"You're wasting your time. By the time they reach junior high, all the girls in town are nothing but little whores. There's nothing special about the ones that run away. Did you know that we're practically having an epidemic of V.D. among the junior-high boys?"
I wrapped my arm around his upper arm and dug in my fingers until his face turned white. Then I whispered back at him, "Watch your mouth. You're talking about my niece."
I gave his arm an extra squeeze to remember me by then I went to catch up with Ginny. I was grinning, but I wasn't amused.
Yes!:) Give him what he deserves...but the feeling at the end of the chapter was that it was all for nothing. They didn't get anywhere...

A lot of people were introduced in this chapter, a lot of good and interesting characters; Stretto, Kirke, Sondra, Astin, Martha, are some involved i all this? I end with a quote on Stretto...
He looked like the kind of man the republicans wish they could run for president. Strong lines in his face, a mane of silver hair, resonant baritone voice, just a hint of well-earned fat on his tall frame. He was siting at the head of the table as if he had been born there. For a second, I couldn't figure out what he was doing in a lowly job like the Board of Education chairman, when he could have been elected mayor tomorrow - with a little help from TV. But as we shook hands I got a closer look at him. He was younger than he seemed and if my eyes wern't tricking me, the fine silver of his hair came out of a jar. Probably he was saving mayor for later. After which he'd take a crack at governor.
This chapter was full of these kind of observations...
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Kasten, I’m glad you did this chapter. For me it is poisoned by Julian Kirke, but you did a good job bringing to center the other characters, especially SRD’s x-ray portrait of Paul Stretto.
Kasten wrote:Vintage SRD! :) Love this stuff!
Exactly! :D
Paul Stretto wrote:“Things always run better around here ... when Julian knows what’s going on.”
We see that Julian is the one who runs things. Not exactly promising for Brew and Ginny, since the word “help” is not in Julian’s vocabulary.

W.B., where are you? We need you to talk about the high school.
Brew wrote:You could hide a football field in there and never find it again because the school was built in huge square sections that interlock and form a maze.
Kids must have a special radar. I can’t remember ever feeling as confused at school as Brew does. :)

In the school office:
women in various stages of energy or desperation hacked away at typewriters.
Remind me never to work for Central High! Since there must be a lot of them named that, I’ll avoid them all for safety’s sake. :P Though I might be safe after all:
Brew wrote:I realized that all the secretaries who looked particularly miserable were young and pretty.
Julian also tries to cut Brew down:
“Do you always tag along behind her like this?”
Fortunately, one of the things Brew is not ashamed of is following Ginny. He gives himself and us the satisfaction of muscling Julian a little in return.

I like that “Z” for Julian’s middle initial. Sawteeth. :evil:
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
kastenessen
Giantfriend

Post by kastenessen »

Joy wrote:
Brew wrote:You could hide a football field in there and never find it again because the school was built in huge square sections that interlock and form a maze.
Didn't spot this one...great quote!:)

Joy wrote:
Fortunately, one of the things Brew is not ashamed of is following Ginny. He gives himself and us the satisfaction of muscling Julian a little in return.
Yes, Brew has the heart in the right place and doesn't bend...ever...quite the emancipated guy:)...he trusts people with their hearts in the right place...

Soon halfway into the book, and only two days has passed in it. Sometimes I forget...It feels like the story unfolds in exactly the same pace as time runs...with this I mean that an hour is an hour and most of the book is given in "realtime"... time-shortenings are rare but of course there are, of course...but the feeling persists...a lot of things, small things and important things, happens and it takes only these pages to describe them, time runs and the things that are happening during that time...think on this; James Joyce and his famous Ulysses, (no I haven't read it, only excerpts) uses the idea of the stream of conciousness, he meticoulously describes what goes on inside the main characters head, but it takes a longer time to read it than it does in "real" life to expereience it. Not so in ...KILLED. I think this was my point...but I'm not sure I know what I'm talking about...:)

kasten
Dragonlily
Lord

Joyce Digression

Post by Dragonlily »

kastenessen wrote:James Joyce and his famous Ulysses, (no I haven't read it, only excerpts) uses the idea of the stream of conciousness, he meticoulously describes what goes on inside the main characters head, but it takes a longer time to read it than it does in "real" life to expereience it.
I haven't read it either. I've always thought Joyce must be missing a whole heck of a lot that goes on in there. Real thoughts are far too dense and layered. You people who read the classics, what do you think?
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
W.B.
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by W.B. »

You could hide a football field in there and never find it again because the school was built in huge square sections that interlock and form a maze.
Oo, yes, more dehumanizing, alienating architecture. I think in comparison to the often bleak nature of the city (probably usually the result of the contrasts between rich/poor, Anglo/Latino, decay/a concealing coat of paint), Brew's compassion is a welcome breath of fresh air. I can't think of another mystery/crime novel I've seen where there's quite so much moral commentary on the nature a city. It's the "mean streets" to the nth degree.

Speaking of Joyce...I haven't read Ulysses, but I have read Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, and that's not really the kind of literature I prefer, but it is quite an experience. Sometimes, it would seem very authentic, others it was about all you can do to keep attention focused and follow the events/thoughts. Reading it, I tried to think about how I would write down my minute-to-minute thoughts, and I decided it takes a lot of effort. It's one of those books I'd suggest reading an introduction or analysis of first, kind of as a way into it, since it's difficult enough as it is (or that's how I read it, with an intro, and I think it was a big help).
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

Stephen R. Donaldson Ate My Dictionary
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

How do people really find their way around everywhere? Usually by habit and memory I think.

All schools are confusing, because they are superficially similar and the first times you are there miss all the little clues that help you separate the different places in the schools that look exactly the same from each other.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”