The Walking Dead TV series on AMC

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Zarathustra wrote:Since they're all infected already, why does a bite turn one into a zombie? You have an infection. It is triggered when you die (as if that makes sense). It's also triggered by bites ... but not any bite, rather a bite from a zombie. But how is a zombie's bite any different from a normal bite, if everyone carries the "disease"? Is it like ebola, where you can only get sick from someone who already shows symptoms?
I'm guessing it's like a 2-part epoxy.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

Zarathustra wrote:Is it something like you can't catch "the zombies" on a bus, but you can transmit "the zombies" on a bus? :lol: OMG, half the group just left on a bus!! 8O :biggrin:
Everyone knows you can't catch The Zombies on a bus... it is just like ebola. Didn't TheFallen just win a nobel prize for this?
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

I think it's two separate things. The Zombie bite, by itself, doesn't turn you, it merely kills you. Then, once you're dead, the infection everyone carries causes you to reanimate. If it was the Zombie bite that turned you, then people who die of other causes wouldn't be reanimating.
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Yes, I think so. Zombie bites seem to have some sort of fatal poison, which is separate from the brain re-animation effect that we saw at the Atlanta CDC.

Still, we'll probably never know if Bob was tainted meat. Because there won't be any more cannibalism on this show. Nope. No more. Thank you.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Zombie bites must be komodo dragon bites.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

It's all magic anyway, but if I was going to propose a (pseudo-)scientific explanation I would say:

A government agency or government-funded terrorist organization released a retrovirus (maybe something based off a common virus like HPV, allowing a large number of people to become carriers without being detected). This retrovirus recodes human DNA to include an inactive genotype. The genotype is activated by either the presence of the zombie toxin (which unlike the retrovirus, is only transmitted via direct contact between the producing mucosal membranes and blood, being 100% virulent and 100% unstable outside of a living host) or the complete shutdown of the nervous system. Once activated, the genes begin producing the zombie toxin, let's say by hijacking cytotoxic t-cells much the way AIDS hijacks helper t-cells. The toxin in turn starts shutting down and then taking over the nervous system.

Basically, it's kind of the opposite of a cryptococcus infection in someone with AIDS. The cryptococcus fungus is everwhere, but it can only take over when the immune system is weakened. And a fungus would tie in with that zombie ant fungus. It would be pretty easy to detect a fungal infection before everyone in the world got it, though, so it'd have to be the toxin.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I believe the show, and the comic, indicated it was indeed a virus (not a fungus).

I did find this:
  • "The rule is WHATEVER it is that causes the zombies, is something everyone already has. If you stub your toe, get an infection and die, you turn into a zombie, UNLESS your brain is damaged. If someone shoots you in the head and you die, you're dead. A zombie bite kills you because of infection, or blood loss, not because of the zombie 'virus.'"
    —Robert Kirkman
... which doesn't explain what the 'infection' actually is. But infections are bacterial or viral.

Is it sufficient to just say that an animated corpse, which has been decomposing to some degree for days or weeks or months, probably has enough toxic but totally ordinary disease in it that it would kill you if it got into your blood?
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

A zombie bite kills you because of infection, or blood loss, not because of the zombie 'virus.'"
—Robert Kirkman
Wait a minute, so everyone who got a zombie bite would have lived if they'd just got some Neosporin and a bandage?? Why they hell didn't anyone think of trying that???

If that's true, then the black guy certainly wasn't "tainted meat." He should have tried some first aid, rather than giving up. Why did everyone just watch him die, instead of cleaning the freakin' wound??? They didn't even try!

We did see Herschel get his foot chopped off (or was it a hand?), so they know you can treat zombie bites somewhat. In all this time, why haven't they combined the knowledge that they already carry the infection with how Herschel was saved, and come to the conclusion that they should ALWAYS try first aid, you know, first? Jesus, that's a lot of unnecessary zombies.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Zarathustra wrote:
A zombie bite kills you because of infection, or blood loss, not because of the zombie 'virus.'"
—Robert Kirkman
Wait a minute, so everyone who got a zombie bite would have lived if they'd just got some Neosporin and a bandage?? Why they hell didn't anyone think of trying that???

If that's true, then the black guy certainly wasn't "tainted meat." He should have tried some first aid, rather than giving up. Why did everyone just watch him die, instead of cleaning the freakin' wound??? They didn't even try!

We did see Herschel get his foot chopped off (or was it a hand?), so they know you can treat zombie bites somewhat. In all this time, why haven't they combined the knowledge that they already carry the infection with how Herschel was saved, and come to the conclusion that they should ALWAYS try first aid, you know, first? Jesus, that's a lot of unnecessary zombies.
A Zombie Mouth is a cesspool of filth and disease, you get that stuff in your bloodstream, and you're toast.

As you noted, if you got bit on an extremity, such as Herschel's lower leg, you can cut off the extremity, before the filth has the opportunity to flow through the blood vessels/veins, past the severing point. A bite on the torso, would be a lot tougher to cut out while staying in front of the blood flow, you can't really cut off the shoulder or your ribs like you can a leg, finger, hand, arm... (Especially since Bob didn't even mention it, until hours after being bit)

I do wonder about a transfusion, with "Clean Blood"( old stored blood that is not infected with the reanimation virus), if that might eventually be a useful weapon against the epidemic? I've not seen anything that I can remember which eliminates the possibility
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

in 28 Days Later don't they give the main character a blood transfusion to cure him?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

There's nothing inside a corpse's mouth that isn't inside a living person's mouth. Even at a much higher concentration, there's no way a bite would have a 100% mortality rate.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I agree, Syl. At the very least, it doesn't explain not trying. They have antibiotics.

Oh well, it's fiction. It just seems purposely misleading fiction.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

Yeah, I love zombie films and so, but it requires suspension of disbelief to say the least. Beside, everyone knows it was radiation from a space probe returning from venus that exploded in the earths atmosphere that caused the zombie revolution. :)
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And as fast as they can
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

If a retrovirus can animate dead tissue, and give it a tropism for noise and flesh, it can certainly scare up some poison in the saliva -- that's probably the least unbelievable thing about it, no? Kirkman's the author, so if he says it's infection, then it's infection. But he hasn't exactly ruled out infection due to something that zombie metabolism might produce.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

The walkers have the bacteria, or whatever, that kills. It also reanimates. It takes a lot for it to do either. The amount from a bite is enough.

The bacteria is also spreading. Walkers touch people, they touch things that people then touch, they deteriorate, etc. Eventually, the concentration builds in people to the point that they reanimate.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Ananda wrote:Yeah, I love zombie films and so, but it requires suspension of disbelief to say the least. Beside, everyone knows it was radiation from a space probe returning from venus that exploded in the earths atmosphere that caused the zombie revolution. :)
actually...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWGtZ9Oqcwc

language alert...
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Morning
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Morning »

[Syl] wrote:There's nothing inside a corpse's mouth that isn't inside a living person's mouth.
Of course there is. I don't allow worms in my mouth.
Ardet nec Consumitur.
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

why the hell did they split up again?
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
Morning
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Morning »

How is Eugene so well nourished, that's what I wonder about...
Ardet nec Consumitur.
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

sgt.null wrote:
Ananda wrote:Yeah, I love zombie films and so, but it requires suspension of disbelief to say the least. Beside, everyone knows it was radiation from a space probe returning from venus that exploded in the earths atmosphere that caused the zombie revolution. :)
actually...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWGtZ9Oqcwc

language alert...
video link not available in my country. But, my explanation is from Night of the living dead and is just tongue in cheek.
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And as fast as they can

Return to “TV Shows”