THE MAN WHO KILLED HIS BROTHER, Ch 9

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

Dragonlily
Lord

THE MAN WHO KILLED HIS BROTHER, Ch 9

Post by Dragonlily »

THE MAN WHO KILLED HIS BROTHER, Chapter 9

Brew and Ginny are making no visible progress, and depressed about it. In need of something to do, they take a look at the route Alathea was following when she disappeared. They see that it is isolated and out of sight, a perfect place to get snatched from. It is also a perfect place to run away from, though, so they aren’t going to prove anything by it.

They find Ted back at Ginny’s office. Another great description of Ted – SRD really had a lot to work with, with this character.
Ted ... looked like he’d spent the day in a dryer at the laundromat – hot, thirsty, and about two sizes smaller. But his eyes weren’t bulging the way they did last night. They were sunken and sizzling, as if they were being cooked from inside by whatever he was thinking.
... He looked like the losing end of a cockfight, plucked half to death and still ready to peck anything in sight.
:Hail:

Ted got the notes from two more sets of parents, but he isn’t satisfied. He wants to find Mittie now. In the meantime, they have Detective Acton’s trail again. He bullied the parents of May-Belle Podhorentz so badly they still haven’t recovered. Ted got their note from May-Belle, but he says, “Next time, just ask me to rape the rest of their kids. It’ll be easier.”

Rape again. Defeat again.

Brew finally pries out of Ted some of what he is thinking about all this, and it isn’t reassuring. Ted especially can’t bear the probability that his little girl is earning drug money by prostitution. We know he is going to go off like a bomb sometime in the near future.

But Ginny got something valuable out of the conversation with Ted. Each of the kidnapped girls was alone, was scheduled to be alone, at the time she disappeared. Ginny is still mulling this over, but they move on to their next tasks. Brew’s is to see the parents of Marisa Lutt.
The Lutts lived in one of those newish suburbs where all the houses look nice even though they’re crammed together on lots you can hardly lie down crosswise on...
The family inside is no kind of match for their nice house.
[Carson Lutt] looked me up and down blearily, as if I were some kind of obnoxious consequence of his drinking...
So now Brew has to conduct an interview with hostile parents in a room reeking with all the booze they are drinking. Also they want him to drink with them. It shoots Brew’s tact all to hell (to use his style of speech). Carson responds by demanding that he leave and he does, but out on the porch Brew has to sit down and decide whether to go back in and take that drink, or go back in and beat up on the dad.

Fortunately he is joined by Marisa’s sister. This is a very interesting and heartwarming conversation, I think. The sister, Denise, doesn’t just get the now-familiar note for Brew. She knows all about Marisa’s disappearance, and their parents’ distorted reaction to it. She is obviously the only sane member of the family left, and very likable, too. She would get into serious trouble – more serious than usual – if her parents knew she had been telling family secrets to a P.I., but it’s probably the best thing that has happened to her in a long time. Brew isn’t the only one who needs to feel he can make a contribution.

Brew handled this conversation so well I was proud of him, especially the last part. Even if he did console himself, afterwards, that if he failed he could always go back to drinking.
Last edited by Dragonlily on Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
kastenessen
Giantfriend

Re: THE MAN WHO KILLED HIS BROTHER, Ch 9

Post by kastenessen »

A very fine lead-in Joy! Your post had been here all alone a couple of days... couldn't stand it anymore!
Joy wrote: Another great description of Ted – SRD really had a lot to work with, with this character.
Ted ... looked like he’d spent the day in a dryer at the laundromat – hot, thirsty, and about two sizes smaller. But his eyes weren’t bulging the way they did last night. They were sunken and sizzling, as if they were being cooked from inside by whatever he was thinking.
... He looked like the losing end of a cockfight, plucked half to death and still ready to peck anything in sight.
:Hail:
I Totally agree with you!

Joy wrote:
Ted especially can't bear the probability that his little girl is earning drug money by prostitution. We know he is going to go off like a bomb in the near future.
A slight problem I have with this matter in the story is that they never discuss the dissapearances from another point of view than runaway-prostitution-money to drugs-angle, and never with Tred. Ginny and Brew are groping, searching for answers of course, and though they might be on to something they never speak of it aloud. I'm talking about this specific angle, not that a crime has beeing commited...Nothing about kidnapping, forcing the girls to do this and that, and so on...anyway, always a purpose with SRD's writing. As an answer to my "prayers" Brew spills it at the end of the chapter...
(Brew)"Now, listen. When your parents are sober, I want you to tell them about me. Tell them Marisa didn't run away. She was kidnapped. I don't know how or why - But I'm going to find out. I'm going to nail whoever did it. Your parents don't have any reason to hate themselves. And they don't have any reason to be worried about you.
A small but glorious moment...the story has emotionally been building towards this point. But here Brew finally says: "She was kidnapped." Until this moment the story has been kind of emotionally dark, but here it opens up. Brew finds an emotional purpose(towards us readers) to solve these horrible atrocities...and you're so right Joy, it was such a heartwarming piece of dialogue...

kasten
W.B.
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by W.B. »

A slight problem I have with this matter in the story is that they never discuss the dissapearances from another point of view than runaway-prostitution-money to drugs-angle, and never with Tred.
Couldn't agree more with this point, kastenessen. As I've been reading, I've been wondering why the first instinct of Brew and Ginny would be to think middle schoolers would turn to prostitution. I'd think kidnap. Some plot-oriented parts of the book have their holes. :)

This will be my critique: the conversation between Ginny and Brew after they meet up with Ted. Ginny is saying all the kids ran away during school,
"And every one of them was alone on a regular basis at some point in the school day. Being alone didn't happen by accident on a particular day."
Well, as a reader, this should point to planned kidnapping...but Brew is thinking
"She was on the edge of something. I could feel it. But I didn't have the faintest notion what it was."
So this seems kind of forced to me in order to keep Ginny and Brew from looking at the kidnapping angle. Then again, as was said above, Brew does come out with the kidnapping theory at the Lutts' house. So there's some see-sawing of theories and ideas.

And I'd just like to say, I heartily agree, the ending of the chapter is a little patch of light. Any time Brew reacts with compassion it brightens things up, even if he follows his promise with the thought that
If it turned out that I couldn't keep my promises, I could always go back to drinking. One shame more or less wouldn't make any difference. Alcohol doesn't care about details like that.
"I drink because I care." :) Seriously, it's a good observation on a motivation for drinking/addictions.
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

kastenessen wrote:A slight problem I have with this matter in the story is that they never discuss the dissapearances from another point of view than runaway-prostitution-money to drugs-angle, and never with Tred. Ginny and Brew are groping, searching for answers of course, and though they might be on to something they never speak of it aloud.
I never had a problem with that, because it was so obvious that's what they were thinking, even though they were careful not to commit themselves -- until Brew blurted it out, by inspired impulse, to the little sister.

I meant to mention this later, when the book states it directly. IIRC, the reason they didn't draw the conclusion of kidnapping directly from the girls' planned solitude, was that the girls were from different schools; and the files were not centralized, they were in each girl's separate school. So there was supposedly no one person who could have known about all of them.

There may be a flaw in my reasoning there; I haven't reread that part yet. But either it was logically handled, or I was under SRD's spell and didn't notice. :)
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
W.B.
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by W.B. »

IIRC, the reason they didn't draw the conclusion of kidnapping directly from the girls' planned solitude, was that the girls were from different schools; and the files were not centralized, they were in each girl's separate school. So there was supposedly no one person who could have known about all of them.
This is true. They're just very reluctant to draw any conclusions at all, while it's human nature to jump to conclusions but perhaps not so good in the detecting business. I haven't gotten to further discussion of the files yet either, so I'll keep a look out. :)
Spoiler
There's probably something, since it is such a central point.

Post by Guest »

Well they discussed it with some, with the police, with the parents, with Tred, but what I really meant was that they never had another theory, never spoke of what could have happened, like: They were kidnapped(ok that goes without saying I think), but then, they were held someplace and raped and then killed with an overdose of Heroin, or let loose on the street with an overdose in the body. It seems a bit far-fetched for a thirteen year-old to walk the street to earn money for heroin. I don't say it can't happen, it's just unlikely...A pimp can hold them and sell them... It could have happened any number of ways...was just that, I wasn't clear enough...:)

kasten
kastenessen
Giantfriend

Post by kastenessen »

Blimey! That was me above...

kasten

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”