The Augur's Gambit / The King's Justice

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

wayfriend

The Augur's Gambit / The King's Justice

Post by wayfriend »

In StephenRDonaldson.com News was wrote:Some readers may wonder what I've been doing since I finished "The Last Chronicles." The answer, of course, is: many things. But along the way I've written two substantial novellas, "The Augur's Gambit" and "The King's Justice." And both have just been picked up by Putnams, to be published together in hardcover and paperback. I don't yet know the title Putnams will use. As for when the book will be published: rumor has it that the pub date will be in October 2015. But at this point that is *only* a rumor, not an announced fact.

Do I need to add that these two stories are entirely unlike each other? After all, I wrote them. But they are both fantasy.

1/7/15
So, yes, there are indeed TWO new novellas on the way, which explains why we have been hearing snitches of two different titles.

It's interesting that they will be published as one book - making it something in a murky region between a novel and a collection of short stories, I guess. But I suppose it make sense that a novella would not be published individually.

Discuss.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Uuuuuu exciting! :banana:

Does the rumor whisper anything about hawt Giants featured in either piece of prose? ;)
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Pretty sure there weren't any hawt Giants in the part we heard at WFC. There were some funny bits, though. :)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

"Funny bits" eh? Interesting!

Well, I now have a mission: read the Last Dark before these books are published :D
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Didn't SRD call one of them a novelette? Still two of those (at under 20,000 words each) wouldn't make up a book. I'm happy to see two novellas rather than a book of short stories as I am more likely to reread them. I almost never go back over the short stories.

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Cool. Crepuscular news.

-jay
Roger
Servant of the Land

Post by Roger »

The King's Justice is already available for pre-order from Amazon.com. It shows a publication date of October 13, 2015. No picture yet.

I wonder if there is any advantage to the author if you pre-order a title.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Other than getting an sense of how many need to be printed, I don't know.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I seem to recall SRD saying something about pre-orders helping rankings on best seller lists the first week of release?
SkurjMaster
<i>Elohim</i>

content

Post by SkurjMaster »

No hints as to the content of either or the new novellas?
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Apparently, aliantha heard SRD read a portion at WFC last fall. Maybe she can share what she recalls...other than there was humor and no hawt Giants.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Romeo was there, too.... ;)

From what I recall, the main character was a woman who had (I think -- it's been some months...) inherited her father's kingdom, and was now proposing marriage to the leaders of neighboring kingdoms in turn. I can't recall now whether her strategy was meant to stir up trouble or suss out who would support her against which other kingdom. Maybe both. But it was an entertaining scene. :D

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

aliantha wrote:I can't recall now whether her strategy was meant to stir up trouble or suss out who would support her against which other kingdom. Maybe both.
Sounds a bit like Joyse.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

wayfriend wrote:
aliantha wrote:I can't recall now whether her strategy was meant to stir up trouble or suss out who would support her against which other kingdom. Maybe both.
Sounds a bit like Joyse.
This guy wasn't necessarily crazy. Or hooked on playing checkers, either. ;) But now that you mention it, I see the similarity. :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Interesting. My first thought in terms of similarity was Daughter or Regals.
aliantha wrote:Romeo was there, too.... ;)
Aye, but he is far less dependably here than you are!
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

aliantha wrote:Romeo was there, too.... ;)

From what I recall, the main character was a woman who had (I think -- it's been some months...) inherited her father's kingdom, and was now proposing marriage to the leaders of neighboring kingdoms in turn. I can't recall now whether her strategy was meant to stir up trouble or suss out who would support her against which other kingdom. Maybe both. But it was an entertaining scene. :D
Alright!!! :biggrin:
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

An update was posted on the official site:
StephenRDonaldson.com wrote:a new book forthcoming -- 2

Putnams has announced October 13, 2015 as the publication date for a book they refer to as THE KING'S JUSTICE. I don't yet know what the official title will be. At one point, I had reason to think the book would be called "THE KING'S JUSTICE and THE AUGUR'S GAMBIT: Two Novellas." Now I'm not sure. But I'll post more reliable information when I get it.

2/12/15
So the good news is we have a release date.

The bad news is that the publisher's may not let Donaldson have a title that reflects there being two novellas in one book.

"The King's Justice and Other Story" ?

I suppose we should be happy if we don't get a tête-bêche!

Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

wayfriend wrote:An update was posted on the official site:
StephenRDonaldson.com wrote:a new book forthcoming -- 2

Putnams has announced October 13, 2015 as the publication date for a book they refer to as THE KING'S JUSTICE. I don't yet know what the official title will be. At one point, I had reason to think the book would be called "THE KING'S JUSTICE and THE AUGUR'S GAMBIT: Two Novellas." Now I'm not sure. But I'll post more reliable information when I get it.

2/12/15
So the good news is we have a release date.

The bad news is that the publisher's may not let Donaldson have a title that reflects there being two novellas in one book.

"The King's Justice and Other Story" ?

I suppose we should be happy if we don't get a tête-bêche!

All right! Better pre-order it so the local bookstore can mess it up! :-x
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Jussi
Stonedownor

Post by Jussi »

Here is the blurb for The King's Justice:

edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/ProductDetailPage.aspx?sku=0399176977
This beautiful book is made up of two new, original novellas, never before published a sure cause for celebration among his fans. It is Donaldson’s first publication since finishing the Thomas Covenant series, and takes him in unexpected directions.

In The King’s Justice, a stranger dressed in black arrives in the village of Settle’s Crossways, following the scent of a terrible crime. He even calls himself “Black,” though almost certainly that is not his name. The people of the village discover that they have a surprising urge to cooperate with this stranger, though the desire of inhabitants of quiet villages to cooperate with strangers is not common in their land, or most lands. But this gift will not save him as he discovers the nature of the evil concealed in Settle’s Crossways.

The “Augur’s Gambit” is a daring plan created by Mayhew Gordian, Hieronomer to the Queen of Indemnie, a plan to save his Queen and his country. Gordian is a reader of entrails. In the bodies of chickens, lambs, piglets, and one stillborn infant he sees the same message: the island nation of Indemnie is doomed. But even in the face of certain destruction a man may fight, and the Hieronomer is utterly loyal to his beautiful Queen—and to her only daughter. The “Augur’s Gambit” is his mad attempt to save a kingdom.
You are the white gold.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Awesome, thanks!

I may have a new favorite Augur. It's been Patera Silk since The Book of the Long Sun.

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”