Another newbie to the site

Hey Newbies, over here first ;) Come on in and tell us more about yourself. IMPORTANT: For new members, please read "New Members Only" BEFORE registering.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Menolly

scarymonster
Servant of the Land

Another newbie to the site

Post by scarymonster »

Hi all, 3rd attempt at the books but going down the audiobook route this time. First read the 1st and 2nd Chronicles many years ago, perhaps mid 1980's then maybe ten years later read the 1st again meaning to carry on through but never happnened. Been listening to LFB in the car and really enjoyed it (Scott Brick).

Been slightly distracted by The Gap Cycle now, and on book 2 of them (also via Scott Brick) and I'm well and truely hooked there.

I'll have to pull myself away after book two and move onto the 2nd book of the first Chronicles and spread the GAP out a bit.

I've never tried audiobooks before but via my ipad it is a great way to get on with stuff around the house while listening or in the car on long jouneys. No time to read books but now I don't care about that, I'll just listen instead. :lol:
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Hello scarymonster :wave: Hopefully 3rd time lucky?
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Welcome!

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Welcome to the Watch, SM!
Are you the "under the bed" or "in the wardrobe" sort of scarymonster?

For what it's worth, I would not suspend your reading/listening at the end of the second book of Gap (Forbidden Knowledge). Without offering spoilers, the end of book two is essentially the tipping point where the roller-coaster really gathers momentum. Finish the Gap (arguably SRD's best series), then return to his other works.

Either way you proceed, may you thrive here...and contribute.
Last edited by Savor Dam on Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
scarymonster
Servant of the Land

Post by scarymonster »

Savor Dam wrote:For what it's worth, I would not suspend your reading/listening at the end of the second book of Gap (Forbidden Knowledge). Without offering spoilers, the end of book two is essentially the tipping point where the roller-coaster really gathers momentum. Finish the Gap (arguably SRD's best series), then return to his other works.

Thanks for the welcome all.

Savor Dam, even as I was typing that I was thinking how hard it is going to be to walk away from the GAP cycle albeit just for a while. It's more a fear of it all being over so soon and a wish to prolong the experience. :biggrin:
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Fair enough. When those books were coming out, we certainly had long breaks waiting for the next volume. Didn't hurt the story any...but SRD is a master of mid-series book endings that leave you panting for what happens next.

It's one thing to have to wait for the subsequent book to be written; quite another to have the next installment available and to be able to resist it.

Wait if you choose to...but the Watch is always ready for more Gap discussion.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Welcome aboard SM. :D I have to second SD's recommendation...don't wait. (If you even can. :D ) Finish the Gap first...it really is brilliant. The Chrons have waited for you...they will wait longer.

--A
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Welcome to the Watch, scarymonster. Can supercreep be far behind? :)

There are lots of audiobibliophiles here on the Watch. The word is, the Second Chronicles are a bit of a snag in this department. But there are plenty of folks here to share the joys with, and the pains. We shall get you through!
Wildling
Giantfriend

Post by Wildling »

wayfriend wrote:Welcome to the Watch, scarymonster. Can supercreep be far behind? :)

There are lots of audiobibliophiles here on the Watch. The word is, the Second Chronicles are a bit of a snag in this department. But there are plenty of folks here to share the joys with, and the pains. We shall get you through!
Really? I'd never noticed any particular problem with the Second Chrons on audio. Other than they aren't on Audible ...

Oh, and HI NEW GUY!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Link: Audiobook for The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant?

I don't do audio myself. So if I'm wrong, let us all know. But I thought that the general consensus was that the Second Chrons are hard to come by, or non-existant, in audio form.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Be Welcome to the Watch, scarymonster.
Be Well Come and True.
Wildling
Giantfriend

Post by Wildling »

wayfriend wrote:Link: Audiobook for The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant?

I don't do audio myself. So if I'm wrong, let us all know. But I thought that the general consensus was that the Second Chrons are hard to come by, or non-existant, in audio form.
They do exist, since I have them and have listened to them. But I know they aren't easy to find. I wish I could remember where I found them ....

I think it was www.audiobookbay.to . The legalities of this may be questionable, but when all else fails ....

The version I have is the Brick version.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Welcome, scarymonster! Hope you enjoy yourself here, and feel the urge to visit often!
scarymonster
Servant of the Land

Post by scarymonster »

Wildling wrote:
wayfriend wrote:Link: Audiobook for The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant?
The version I have is the Brick version.
I was under the impression Brick has not done the 2nd Chronicles yet.
scarymonster
Servant of the Land

Post by scarymonster »

Hi again all and thank you for being so welcoming.

I've just started the Scott Brick audio version of the 4th GAP book. I must admit the 2nd flew by, the 3rd was a little more challenging but that may also have been me... over all though I'm totally in there!

Post by Avatar »

Haha, I must say, I can't imagine doing the Gap as audio...but then, I can't do any book as audio, so I may be biased. :D Glad you're enjoying them...how I envy that first experience. :D

Oh, and we have a Gap forum for anything you want to talk about.

(Bump any old topics you want, but be careful of spoilers until you're done.)

--A
scarymonster
Servant of the Land

Post by scarymonster »

Avatar wrote:Haha, I must say, I can't imagine doing the Gap as audio...but then, I can't do any book as audio, so I may be biased. :D Glad you're enjoying them...how I envy that first experience. :D
I know what you mean but once your into the book it really is as gripping as reading it. I just don't have time to read, I'm either working 12 hour shifts or traveling home 200 miles when off shift to be with family. I can listen on the way to work, on my break, on my way home, while doing chores around the house, before I sleep, and on the 4 hour drives and back for my next group of shifts. I'm on my 5th book in as many weeks. :)

I'm quite new to having an iPad and now I have discovered this use for it via an audio book player there is no stopping me. :P

Post by Avatar »

I can see its advantages, but for me it's too slow. :) I can read a book in 1/4 of the time it would take to have it read to me. (Of course, I don't have long commutes or otherwise uninterrupted periods where I can't actually read either.)

--A
michaelm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by michaelm »

Avatar wrote:I can see its advantages, but for me it's too slow. :) I can read a book in 1/4 of the time it would take to have it read to me.
That's one of my issues with it, but I think the one occasion when I did try, it was really hard to keep focus on someone else setting the pace of reading and I would realize I had missed pieces that I had to go over again.

Having said that though, it works for a lot of people, so I'm not going to knock it.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Hmm. One hastens to ask: How scary a monster would you deem yourself? E'en a score of rabid Cavewights riding Sandgorgons with laser beams shooting from their gill-holes feels positively cuddly after all these travails and ordeals in the Land...

Acquaint yourself with Der Ring des Nibelungen afore either audio. It will broaden horizons, or alternatively widen Gaps.

Return to “The Summonsing”