The Last Man on Earth

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

The Last Man on Earth

Post by SerScot »

Anyone else watching. I'm enjoying it so far. It's post-Apocolyptic comedy and a tad different.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

No. I kind of figured a show with one guy talking to himself would get old fast.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I'm loving it. Will Forte is a freaking genius (yes, I loved MacGruber). The show manages to be insanely funny, yet also explore the darkness of being the last man on earth.

I can't see it lasting more than a season or two, but it's a great ride so far.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

It's hilarious. One of the most unique comedies I've ever seen. I love how it explores the traditional, clichéd roles of marriage.

WF, 'last man' should be read with the same kind of grammatical or semantic skepticism as the prophecy about killing the Witch King of Angmar.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

I need to catch up with this. I enjoy Forte's work.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

Yeah, "Last Man" is to be taken literally :)

I love this show so far. But like others said, I can't see it going very long. What a position to be in... have to repopulate the earth and have January Jones or Kristen Schaal to choose from LOL
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I watched the first episode(s) after seeing this topic. I can't watch this kind of thing, however, without constantly complaining to myself about how "repopulating the earth" with two people wouldn't work.
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Why is Phil such a dofuss? I feel terrible for him but he comes across as such a jerk. His one moment of real vulnerability and honesty doesn't get him what he wants and he's right back to being a goober. Jeez.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I'm usually one to pick things apart, but sometimes I just embrace the dumb. The technical problems with repopulating with two people never even crossed my mind (besides ... well, spoilers). The fact that he's an ass or 'goober' is part of why he's so funny. It's not a romantic comedy. Getting the girl isn't the point (much less very funny). What's hilarious is the twist on the idea of buyer's remorse for marrying the wrong woman, even though she's devoted, loving, etc. It's the Al Bundy conundrum. It's difficult to explore that territory with a guy who's not a goober. Just making him likable is a chore. But if you put enough irritating qualities into the wife--even her syrupy sweet, glitter-decorated devotion to this ass of an husband can get irritating--it becomes something that any guy who's been in a relationship long enough can recognize, even if he feels guilty recognizing it.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

There's some speculation that Todd is not long for this world. He does have only one kidney, after all. If something goes wrong with that... none of the surviors we've see appear to be surgeon quality.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I liked it when it was just Phil. Like the part when he says how ridiculous it is talking to a ball like Wilson, and then...

I'd probably still like it if it weren't for Carol (Kristen Schaal). It's not that she's bad at what she does, just that it's like nails on a chalkboard for me. I've never liked her on The Daily Show, either.

Plus, once other people start getting added to the mix, it becomes an 'awkward' comedy show, like The Office (at least the US version; never seen the other). Just not my thing.

Heh, trying to figure out what I meant by awkard, I see wikipedia calls it "Cringe comedy." Looking at the list of examples, it's pretty spot-on. Except for House and Louie (new season starting, woo hoo!).
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

For a moment at the end of last week's episodes, it looked like he might actually improve. Then this week he went straight back to being a huge douche. I'm not quite checked out yet, but we'll see.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

[Syl] wrote:
Heh, trying to figure out what I meant by awkard, I see wikipedia calls it "Cringe comedy." Looking at the list of examples, it's pretty spot-on. Except for House and Louie (new season starting, woo hoo!).
I absolutely despise that sort of comedy... probably hits to close to home :P
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I think I've got it.

He's not the last man on earth... yet.

Return to “TV Shows”