A Game of Thrones

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Some deviations from the books showing already.
Spoiler
It looks like Mance Rayder is actually dead. Not the slightest suggestion of the bait-and-switch used in the book.

Sansa and Littlefinger's storyline seems to be entirely original. Robin fostering, them travelling far away... not a clue where that's going.
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

dlbpharmd wrote:GOT is back!

I enjoyed the season premier. Anytime Varys gets screentime, it's a good thing.
Agreed. My two favorite characters together. It will be interesting to see how that storyline plays out in the series. Its been so long since I read the books that I had forgotton that Varys accompanied Tyrion. I hope they keep those two together for a while. It might give us a chance to see more of Varys' other talents as illustrated in the books.

Murrin, I'm also interested to see what happens in the second line of your spoiler.

Frankly, I'm a little surprised more people aren't discussing GOT here.
The King has one more move.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I've forgotten how far Varys goes in the books. Not all the way, but does he return immediately after Pentos? Another of the deviations from the books I noticed was that they seem to know Varys helped Tyrion, and Cersei knows Jaime did.
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Murrin:
Spoiler
Mance Rayder is the red haired bearded guy. There was a ton of implication in the long looks in the premiere. The guy they burned was rattleshirt.
I am freaking thrilled that they are focusing on Arya's journey. Damn it's awesome!
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

I was thinking the same thing, Jen!!! But John Snow would know the real one, if the show followed the books.

Murrin, I also don't recall Varys travelling with Tyrion at all from the books but here is an article that discusses what changed from the book in last night's episode:

www.vox.com/2015/4/19/8445365/game-of-t ... -episode-2
The King has one more move.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Another good episode.
Spoiler
I shed no tears for Janos. He's had this coming ever since he betrayed Eddard. But, I predict there will be consequences for the new lord commander.
I almost, almost, felt a little touch of sympathy for Cersei. But then I remember what a bitch she is, and I know that there's no way that Margery can ever truly get the upper hand. I thought Cersei handled the High Sparrow deftly though.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Spoiler
I don't understand the need to kill off Ser Barristan.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Last night we saw GOT's darkest moment and then the most uplifting moment yet. Sad that the season is almost over!
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Am I the only one still watching this show?
Spoiler
Rapid fire episode last night, felt too rushed.

Why the ambiguous death scene for Stannis?

I'm going with the assumption that Jon Snow is really dead, unless next season the Red Priestess decides to revive him.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I'm not sure I like finding out things from the show about what'll happen in the books. I know they've changed stuff, but it gives you a very good idea on some storylines. I'm kind of in the fence about this going forward...
Spoiler
I think what bothered me most about this episode is that they moved very fast on things like Sansa and Stannis, only so they could spend waaaay too much time lingering on Cersei's walk of shame.
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

I haven't ever watched the show, but sounds like the show plot is getting ahead of the books.

About time he finished the next book. ;)
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

A couple of storylines are a bit ahead of the books (Stannis, Tyrion, and bits of Arya's), most of them though are either at or just slightly behind the end of A Dance with Dragons (Cersei is at the end of AFFC, but there's not much of her in ADWD anyway).

Meanwhile, Brienne and Jaime have completely invented storylines unconnected to the books, and Sansa is living a different character's life.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

At least Daenerys didn't disappear halfway through the season only to show back up, wander around for a couple of scenes, and get diarrhea. Thankfully a lot less whining about love and no whining about ships. I also like the new Daario, both in terms of the recast between seasons (Huisman was great as Sonny in Treme) and apparently not selling out.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

I'm Murrin wrote:A couple of storylines are a bit ahead of the books (Stannis, Tyrion, and bits of Arya's), most of them though are either at or just slightly behind the end of A Dance with Dragons (Cersei is at the end of AFFC, but there's not much of her in ADWD anyway).

Meanwhile, Brienne and Jaime have completely invented storylines unconnected to the books, and Sansa is living a different character's life.
Weird.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Finally caught up.
Spoiler
Now I'm depressed. You no next season, John Snow.
Actually, the [separate] Samwell and Arya story-lines seem to be moving back in the direction of the book again. (But I've only read 4 of 5.) So what veers off can veer back. I guess that means don't make assumptions.
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

I don't know if GRRM necessarily intends for the books to continue on the same path as the TV show.
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

After a 3-week marathon, I've watched the entire series. I've not read the books (and may not), but I've found the show to be fantastic. The brutality and the sex don't bother me a bit, and I love the fact that no character is sacred. The acting is superb, it's beautifully shot, and the story is compelling.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

MsMary wrote:I don't know if GRRM necessarily intends for the books to continue on the same path as the TV show.
It wouldn't shock me if he stopped writing the books and told all his fans just to watch the show.
Roach trotted over to sniff at the gleaming phlegm, then licked it up.

The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Ok, now I'm caught up. I find it amazing the casting they have done - from the two Harry Potter alum, to Hamlet from the Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead Movie, to Little John from Robin of Sherwood show, to Ferb from Phineas and Ferb, to the girl in Whale Rider, to Diana Rigg and Jonathan Pryce. I'm just curious what British actor I recognize next.
Spoiler
C'mon Jon Snow - don't continue to be dead. And don't go all undead.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Cagliostro wrote:from the two Harry Potter alum
I didn't see the Abelforth connection until I saw Deathly Hallows -after- seeing GoT. Walter Frey was easier. But there's seven more ...
I'm just curious what British actor I recognize next.

Hint: "One does not simply walk into Mordor ..." :)
Last edited by wayfriend on Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “TV Shows”