The Man Who Killed His Brother Ch 10

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

W.B.
<i>Elohim</i>

The Man Who Killed His Brother Ch 10

Post by W.B. »

It's in the evening when Brew returns to his apartment and leaves a message for Ginny, telling her what he's found out at the Lutts'. He then indulges in his neat-nick streak and cleans his apartment and his .45; it's "something I do whenever I'm feeling particularly grimy inside--and trying not to think about it." Brew is also killing time until it's late enough to visit Manolo. As he says,
I'd spent the whole day doing what Ginny wanted me to do. Now I wanted to check out an idea of my own. Manolo was the man who could help me.
Throughout the book, Brew's obedience, almost subservience, to Ginny is emphasized. I kind of see it as a mark of his lack of self-esteem that he's often willing to defer to her, as a way of avoiding responsibility by letting her take charge. But he can be independent, especially when it's night, and he wants to deal with the Hispanic side of the city. Intuition, night, and subcultures are his realm.

Anyway, he finds Manolo by stopping a kid running errands for a numbers racket, and after (in a funny scene) doling out some kind of corny advice
("A man does not run to do the bidding of those who are themselves not men enough to do their own running." Stern Uncle Axbrewder. If Ginny heard me, she would've had real trouble keeping a straight face.)
he gets the boy, Pablo to tell him where Manolo is. This exchange with Pablo gets us back in the semi-heroic mode of speech Donaldson uses for his Hispanic characters...for whom honor is not an abstract principle. I think some of the odd syntax ("But a clever boy like Pablo has surely taken some thought on the matter") is a function of illustrating that Brew is not a fluent speaker, but it's not done in such a way to just sound like broken Spanish, and the native-speaking characters have the same patterns of speech.

Brew finds Manolo, and there's some nice imagery. His moustache is like a walrus', and
Old Manolo is like an oracle--there are ceremonies you have to perform if you want answers from him.... Speaking Spanish with him was part of the ritual, like knowing his proper name.

Brew has to be careful not to offend, but he also has to decline to drink with Manolo, which is somewhat humiliating because he has to admit a weakness, but Manolo agrees to speak. Brew tells the story of the disappeared girls, and in return, Manolo tells Brew that the girl, Teresa, he saved from the would-be rapist was Manolo's son's wife's father's sister's daughter (follow all that?). Anyway, the upshot is Manolo owes him (again, the Hispanic concept of honor and debt), but he cannot help Brew; he doesn't know about the missing girls or about the heroin. All he can say is
There are many drugs, and much passing among hands. But in the matter of heroin, all passing begins and ends in the hands of el Senor. That is his pride, and the source of his great wealth. I do not speak to mislead you. El Senor is a man of honor, placing great value upon his family and his children, and the purity of his daughters. Such corrupting of young girls is a terrible evil, and he would in no way permit it.
Even Anglo girls, Manolo insists, would not be "corrupted" by el Senor. Manolo suggests Brew speak with el Senor, and gives Brew the "passowrd," el Senor's full name, but Brew feels this is a dead-end ("that sounded like a polite way of telling me to go to hell"). So, feeling rotten, Brew heads home.
Now the only things left was to be Ginny's errand boy while she tried to crack this case her own way.... The whole comunity seemed to know that I hadn't been able to get what I needed out of Manolo. When you're in that kind of mood, it's hard to stay away from the stuff. Alcohol is the only magic in the world.
He makes it to his apartment's parking lot sober, though, for Alathea's sake, but is met by Acton and some plainclothes cops who rough him up and force him to hand over the girls' letters, which he had still been carrying around. Acton gets in some insults, calls him "Mick" several times (he was friends with Rick, he says), and warns Brew to stay off his case. Despondent, Brew calls Ginny, and she explains Acton learned Brew had the notes in the first place from Stretto. The news doesn't faze Ginny, as she has finished checking with the schools, and found that every girl disappeared at a time when she was scheduled to be alone, and she is now convinced that it was kidnapping, and that the information needed to carry out the abductions had to have come from the school board's files.

At last kidnapping is thoroughly accepted (it took from Tuesday night to Thursday night, which actually isn't very long, but it felt like forever :) ), and there is a new avenue of investigation, the school board.
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

There's something very different about this chapter opening. This time there isn't the slightest doubt, when Brew goes out to the night: he is not going out for a drink. This time SRD makes that plain to us. He also gives Brew a very deliberate rhythm on the opening page. The man has definite plans, not to be stopped.

Good description of Brew's interaction with the Latino community, W.B. Very formal interaction, lots of emphasis on respect, good manners, and repaying debts. I take it that Brew is adopting the formal speech of the community, when dealing with his night time contacts.
W.B. wrote:(he was friends with Rick, he says)
So here's a question. How did a good guy like Rick have so many bad-guy friends? That doesn't make sense to me. Brew's instincts would not have let him be close with a bad-guy brother. Yet now Rick's "friends" are -- Det-Lt Acton?! No way!

These friends of Rick's have already refused to find Rick's missing daughter, to the point of making it unsafe for a police office to help with the search. They have been rousting Brew for years in spite of his self-punishing remorse. Now "friend" Acton comes after Brew and beats him up, backed up by a goon squad with guns, because Acton is embarrassed for mishandling a case.

This has to be a rare hole in SRD's psychology. These couldn't be friends of Rick.

Yes, Ginny has finally decided to focus on the School Board. I'm not seeing what I thought I remembered about those files, either. The next two chapters will focus on a lot smaller group of suspects.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
W.B.
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by W.B. »

These friends of Rick's have already refused to find Rick's missing daughter, to the point of making it unsafe for a police office to help with the search.
Yeah, I had twinges about that also. Weird way to get back at Brew. I also read ahead since I'll have to return the book to the library in a couple weeks, and
Spoiler
considering Acton becomes helpful and sympathetic to the case towards the end of the book, his motivation here is weird. Acton says something about the police were lying low to try to get the kidnappers to make a mistake or flush them out, but still....
I think with the focus on it really being kidnapping is just supposed to have come from the circumstances of their disappearance and the fact that the same person/organizaion was dictating the notes--why would girls from different schools and neighborhoods write such similar notes? Ginny goes over that with Brew in their conversation at the end of the chapter. And that's the point where they really focus on the kidnapping angle and looking for who would have been in a position to nab the girls.[/spoiler]
kastenessen
Giantfriend

Post by kastenessen »

I find the meeting with Manolo one of the finest moments in the book. The very formal, and carefully and respectfully chosen words that goes with the exchange of thoughts is typical SRD(well, in a way). Thoughts are expressed with respect and care, this is what I mean...
(Manolo)"Hola, Senor Axbrewder. Have you come to sit with an old man and tell him interesting tales? That would be very welcome."
His English was distinct. But I answered in Spanish. "Hola, Manuel Sevilla y Acclara de los Maestos." Speaking Spanish with him was one of the ceremonies-like knowing his proper name(or part of it anyway). "Alas, all my tales are poor things in comparison to your own legendary knowledge." I was trying to figure out how he'd known who I was without opening his eyes. "Yet I would sit with you, and share speech, if I am not an intrusion."
Don't we hear echoes of Giants here?:), and I agree with you W.B.
W.B. wrote:
Intuition, night and subcultures are his realm.
Suddenly Brew "calms down", he is somewhat at ease with the moral of the latinos(some of them), doesn't seem to be threatened and hunted by anyone(almost everyone he meets is hostile against him, even Ginny is pretty rough) and anything(the city, sometimes it feels like he doesn't belong there, like he's beeing cast out or something)...It's night and he is among friends...:)

Another quote:
"It is said of you, Senor Axbrewder, that you suffer an infirmity of the heart, arising from the greatly-to-be-regretted death of your brother. Such things must be understood and accepted."
Love this...so much compassion in these words...(and again, these words could have been spoken by a Giant or a Lord or anyone in the Land:)...)

W.B. wrote:
(it took from tuesday night to thursday night, which actually isn't very long, but it felt like forever:)...)
I too, had some thoughts about this before. SRD plays tricks with your mind again. There is something with the timeflow that is unusual with this book...

Joy wrote:
...Yet now Rick's "friends" are -- Det-Lt Acton?! No way!
Couldn't agree with you more, seems very strange...

kasten
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

kastenessen wrote:Another quote:
Quote:
"It is said of you, Senor Axbrewder, that you suffer an infirmity of the heart, arising from the greatly-to-be-regretted death of your brother. Such things must be understood and accepted."
Love this...so much compassion in these words...(and again, these words could have been spoken by a Giant or a Lord or anyone in the Land:)...)
Yes, I felt very fond of Manolo when he said that. The two became gentlemen when they spoke together, with such respect for each other.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I like Acton... I thought he was a bit of a meanie at first... but then he became more of a good guy at the end. :)
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Well, if he can redeem himself for gratuitously beating up Brew when he came for the letters, I'll be impressed. I don't remember him reversing himself, but it has been more than a year since I read it.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

First wild guess:
Spoiler
It's Julian Kirke (who's last name sounds like my hometown :P )

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”