Gates of Fire

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

The Leper Fairy
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Leper Fairy »

dlbpharmd wrote:Ok, you guys have convinced me. I ordered Gates from amazon.com last night.
Yay! Let us know how you like it :D

Pie and Cake
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Strap yourself in Dlb! Your in for quite a ride! Let us know what you think.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Fist and Faith wrote:...But what's up in SA? Edge didn't seem too confident that he'd ever get Runes...
Been informed by local branch of large chain that Runes should be available here in December. Can't wait! :)

--A
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

OK I need to get some updates....

dlb, Dragonlily, what did you think???

Av, have you found this book yet?
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Encryptic
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Encryptic »

I read it a few months ago after seeing a mention of it on the back cover of "The Ten Thousand".

Definitely one of the most powerful stories I've ever read. If they do ever make a movie out of this, I hope they can do the book justice...

On a related note, I also checked out Tides of War after I read Gates of Fire but I just couldn't get into it at all (though I'm open to trying it again). Is his "Amazon" (can't recall the title) book worth reading?
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

"Last of the Amazons" is a decent read. I'd put it on par w/ "The Ten Thousand". It's better than "Tides of War" which I had a hard time getting into as well, and not as good as his newest "The Virtues of War".

None of them approach "Gates" although "Virtues" is a very good read about Alexander the Great. If you are going to read another Pressfield novel, "Virtues" is the one.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Brinn wrote:OK I need to get some updates....

dlb, Dragonlily, what did you think???

Av, have you found this book yet?
Ok, I've been avoiding this thread - I have to admit, and I'm ashamed to say, that for me Gates is a difficult read. I will persist, Brinn, if you say I should - after I finish Brunson's book on poker, that is. ;)
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

OMG!!! I'm ashamed to say I know you!!! ;)

How far did you get? And did you start Super / System yet?
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Brinn wrote:OMG!!! I'm ashamed to say I know you!!! ;)

How far did you get? And did you start Super / System yet?
<cowers under desk from the withering force of Brinn's scorn>

I've only read the first 30 pages or so of Gates. I know, stick with it. And yes, I'm reading Super System now too, and also The Real Story (also not a very good read, IMO.)
The Leper Fairy
The Gap Into Spam

Brinn wrote:"Last of the Amazons" is a decent read. I'd put it on par w/ "The Ten Thousand". It's better than "Tides of War" which I had a hard time getting into as well, and not as good as his newest "The Virtues of War".

None of them approach "Gates" although "Virtues" is a very good read about Alexander the Great. If you are going to read another Pressfield novel, "Virtues" is the one.
Ah, thanks for that. I've been wondering which of his books to read... I've heard bad reviews about all the others but I think I might give Virtues a go.

Pie and Cake
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Alrighty, then, let's take another look!! :D

Brinn
Byrn
dAN
duchess
Encryptic
Fist
Foul
snake
TLF

Nine and (hopefully) counting! Yee Haa!!! Minus multiple profiles, that leaves close to 1370 to go! :mrgreen:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Go dlb. Keep your independence. :wink:

Once I've read THE TEN THOUSAND, it will be a natural segue to read GATES OF FIRE. I might be delayed by GODS AND LEGIONS, which is about Emperor Julian, one of my favorite historical mavericks.

;)
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Encryptic
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Encryptic »

Brinn wrote:"Last of the Amazons" is a decent read. I'd put it on par w/ "The Ten Thousand". It's better than "Tides of War" which I had a hard time getting into as well, and not as good as his newest "The Virtues of War".

<---adding Virtues to the ever-expanding list of books to check out
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Fist and Faith wrote:Alrighty, then, let's take another look!! :D

Brinn
Byrn
dAN
duchess
Encryptic
Fist
Foul
snake
TLF

Nine and (hopefully) counting! Yee Haa!!! Minus multiple profiles, that leaves close to 1370 to go! :mrgreen:
Actually, with dAN, you automatically get:

Mr Fixit
NOWgirl
Agent Smith

for a whopping total of 12, unless I forgot one or 2 of my personalities, which would raise the total.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

dlb,

Keep reading man!!!! Even if you absolutely hate it do it is a favor to me. If after you've read it you still think it was a bad book I'll be absolutely astounded.

If I had that attitude I would have never read the rest of the chronicles as I <heaven forbid> thought that Lord Foul's Bane was a bit slow.

KEEP GOING!!!!!!
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Bumped for Skeletal Grace.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I haven't pushed this book in quite a while. I must be slipping! 8O
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

LOL!!! Keep up the good work Fist. I will no be happy until every man women and child on this board has read this masterpiece!
The Leper Fairy
The Gap Into Spam

Fist and Faith wrote:I haven't pushed this book in quite a while. I must be slipping! 8O
Tsk, Fisty! :-x

:P

Pie and Cake
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Those who haven't read it shouldn't be "tsk"ing anybody, young lady!!!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “General Discussion Forum”