Acropolis Discussion

Moderator: [Syl]

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Yeah, makes sense. I just thought we were starting from scratch. As we've done in all the Pantheon and Aesir games. That was my origin for. Or, rather, my return. The implied was, "I use my DSP to draw on a cave wall, make these animals do this, give Col endurance." But if we're established, then even the first turn will be different. I guess I've got the Forkrul Assail god on my mind, and it got me thinking on that tangent.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Yeah, but look what happened to him.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Alas...
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Any clue what these alternate realms are?

I was thinking along the lines of "The Lands of Man", "The Lands of the Dead", "The Upper Sky", "The Lower Sky", maybe "The paths between". But if we (eventually) have the option of different forms depending on which realm we're in... it'd be nice to know what the realms are.

I'm having flashes of the Egyptian underworld, the Nile connecting this world to that, Tir-na-nog, with Raven and Orca flying or swimming between those worlds.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I won't rule additional realms out, but for right now, let's only assume three realms - lower (cthonic), middle (ordinary), and upper (Olympian).
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

<-- needs to get a definition of "cthonic."
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

chthonic: the underworld.

I'm going to guess that the specifics of these three worlds, who lives up vs. down, all that jazz... it'll be up to us to determine that collectively during the world-building phase.

[Does anybody remember the comments I made about how I really love the whole pre-game world-building process? I almost wish we could just do this part for months and months, and invent content.]
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I move into my new place on the 17th. Everything should be settled down enough for a Jan. 1 start.
-George Steiner
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Can't wait!!!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

w00ty-w00t-w00t!

Though, I'm expecting to be hung over on Jan 1st, and travelling (perhaps still hung over) on Jan 2nd. But I'll get plugged into all this pretty soon after.
Ristra
Servant of the Land

Post by Ristra »

[Syl] wrote:I move into my new place on the 17th. Everything should be settled down enough for a Jan. 1 start.
How about opening up a forum for some tall tales before then?
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Excellent.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Not trying to pressure you. But you know how I get about these games. Heh. So any eta yet?
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Don't listen to him. He killed Vanir. Delay until March, sometime.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Et tu, Gote?
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Don't worry, it's been on my mind. I'm shooting for this weekend, with all registrations and first turn submission in by the 31st. Hell, I'd be ready if I had found any inspiration for the necessary central creation myth.
-George Steiner
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

No rush. :D

--A
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

So the creation myth specifically says that the gods are not evil?
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

That's a good question.

They're the opposite of evil, but does that mean they're good? I don't think so. At least, they're only good according to their specific nature. The God of Hawks might be an evil sonnovabitch to the God of Mice. *shrug*

Or what of the Lord of the Flies? If all creatures have gods, and some creatures were infected by evil... It's not like the Autarch didn't make some mistakes.
-George Steiner
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Bangarang!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “Acropolis”