LOST (SEASON TWO SPOILERS)

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

So, Swan Station is Station 3. That indicates there are at least a station 1 and 2. On the island? Or somewhere else? Do they have anything to do with each other? What exactly is the experiment? Who are Adam and Eve (The skeletons in the cave from season 1, that Jack said were about 50-80 years dead?) and what's up with the black and white rocks? What's all this have to do with the semi-aborted plotline about Aaron not being raised by another and the psychic?

Why does Desmond inject 4815162342 Serum into his blood? And when he ran off, why did he only take some of it? Why 540 days and why 108 minutes?
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

i think there are six stations on the island.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Yea, the film said 3 of 6, but, I was unsure if that was stations, or reels of film, possibly both (IE: 1 reel for each station). But there are 6 numbers and 6 fields of study.

Danielle's maps show 3 islands though. So, perhaps one on each of the 3 islands, or 2 on each of the three islands. Definitely seems there should be at 1 more on the island, though, as they did mention "Swan station was put on this part of the island for it's electro magnetic properties" (paraphrased)
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

lurch
The Gap Into Spam

The Surrealism of Lost

Post by lurch »

,,,Straight out..Lost is a Surrealistic expression of the human condition. Its all metaphor. Nothing of it can be taken as real reality. The surrealists claimed , no truth in reality nor any in our interior world,,but interfacing the two gave rise to possible a higher realization, the surreal plane.

..Is this not what Hurley does in Everybody Hates Hurley? He rejects his bad memories , rejects the nasty reality enveloping around him,,and finds a higher reality in solving his " food" problem. He takes the inspired leap of imagination that Locke can't.
...Jin in",,and Found" at the end does the same. He reaches out to Mike instead of striking out. A changed behavior inspired by imagination.
Unfortunately Sun is still stuck on the Object,,she can't get pass her Ring.
..Now Ana, falls prey to her paranoia shrouded imagination and takes out Shannon as a result. The Imagination has been explored in a downward spiral with Shannons dark realization waiting at the end to be "connected " up with Ana's paranoia.
...Connectivety was and is one of the major ideas of Andre Breton, a original surrealist . He put forth the idea that opposites are connected by,,ready for this,",magnetic field lines". The game of backgammon is a visual metaphor for the idea. Also , consider,,no matter where a charcter starts ,,the character is soon on a arc to the opposite. Speakin about connectivety( the belief that all these chracters are some how connected beyond being on the same flite)..consider the confining and then escaping scene of Kate in the Hatch. She finds a tin in the generic food stuffs , filled with the brite and colorful Apollo Bars..Sure, many have gone on about the God Apollo,,,but ...uuumm..I seem to be the only one aware that the French Poet,,Apollianaire, was the first one to think up the word.." Surreal"
After a fine nose flair from our Kate in her partaking of a Apollo Bar,,what does she do?..She Rises Up and escapes her confines...Oh oooH...Achieving the surreal realization acted out rite infront of us. Kate demonstrated Surrealism rite on the screen. Hurley did too,,as did Jin,,and just opposite was demonstrated by Ana. But there is hope in the connectivity and that hopefully will lead us to an answer, just waiting to be discovered.

The visual metaphores in this show are astounding and almost non-stop. The scenery is so wild and strange that its good that they are using it for everything they can get out of it. This show is so good,,it demonstrates what can be done with the medium in such powerful and innovative ways, i remain Lost in it...MEL
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

No Man is an Island

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Went on a Lost torrent rampage over the last couple of weeks, and since I don't want to guess at what people know or don't know...
Spoiler
I'd buy the surrealist/psych ward theory if it wasn't for one thing: there's too much interconnectedness between the characters in their previous lives. Hurley being on the TV in the guy's house that Jin went to, Hurley owning a share of a box company, Sawyer running into Jack's dad in a bar, Desmond and Jack doing the stadium thing... damn, there's at least one more that I can't remember (and for the sake of the argument, we won't count the encounters in the airport).

But yeah, the island is definately a symbol for a mind adrift (water almost always representing the subconscious mind), and seeing how the high tide mark is rising, one slowly losing ground.

The hatch is a Pandora's Box. All the evils of the world will be let out, and at the bottom they'll find hope.

Some points I didn't see raised here... Ethan took Claire back to Rousseau. Those two at least were working together, and since Steadman seems to have a similar m.o. (what's up with Canada?), I'm thinking they're all from Rousseau's ship (how much of that story to believe is beyond me)...

The Others in the forest seem quite different from Steadman et al who again seem different from the guys on the boat. I'm thinking they perhaps represent different phases of the process. What process, I have no clue.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Spoiler
We don't know that Rousseau and Ethan were working together. Personally, I believe Rousseau rescued Claire from Ethan. Afterall, if Rousseau and Ethan were a team, how could a 9 month pregnant girl, with amnesia, get away from two such proficient hunters/trackers, and make her way back to camp"

Steadman? Who's that? You mean Oprah's man? Or did you mean Goodwin?
[/spoiler]
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Spoiler
I see your point about Nathan. And yeah, meant Goodwin. First time they said his name, that's what I thought I heard, and it's one of those things that want to stick in my memory. heh
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

-George Steiner
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

Lost just finished over here in Britain. I can't wait for the next series, left it on a good cliff hanger.
DEATH IS A PREFERABLE ALTERNATIVE TO COMMUNISM!
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I was going to watch Lost, because so many people were talking about it... But I decided against watching it, because by the time I wanted to, it was 7 or 8 episodes in... and I would have missed loads out...

But I went round a friends the other day and watched all of the first 12 episodes on dvd; and they simply put: ruled. I loved the twists... the characters backgrounds, the Island is creepy and amazing...

It's one of my favourite programs now, and I've just today brought the first twelve eps... and plan to buy the next set when they come out.

I love the character Lock, weird guy, felt sorry for him when he thought he was a cripple again... and Kate is beautiful. :D And the Asian guy (I forget the name) is also one of my favourite characters, can't wait to see where he goes...

And Sawyer (Sp?) amazing character, hard for some people to like (*rolls eyes* not for women though) but I think he adds alot to the series.

Overall, an amazing series; great characters, and an even better set... the Island is amazing, like a character within itself. So creepy... so inventive and original... you've gotta love it... And the plot, combined with the characters and scenery, make for one of the most amazing shows I've ever watched. I thoroughly look forward to the next episodes! :D
Elfgirl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Elfgirl »

Revan wrote:And Sawyer (Sp?) amazing character, hard for some people to like (*rolls eyes* not for women though)...
oh yeahhhhhh....he sure does it for me!!ImageImageImage

Josh Holloway's "Sawyer" character is a twin of SRD's Nick Succorso (and Josh should SOOOO play him if they ever decide to film the "Gap" series!)

We're getting series 2 of "Lost" in Oz in February...can't wait.
ImageImageImage
"Right away would be good. Right now would be better"
-- Nick Succorso

OK, so what's the speed of dark?- Larry the Cable Guy
taraswizard
<i>Haruchai</i>

Lost fans sue

Post by taraswizard »

According to some E-mails I've received in the last few days, some Lost fans are suing the courts in Hawaii, since Michelle Rodriguez (Analucia the former LAPD officer) has been arrested on DUI charges and this arrest might jeopardize her probation status in California on a previous DUI offence. This all puts into question her continued ability to be part of the cast.
Allan Rosewarne
taraswizard Essence of Amber
Buffy fans Chicago
W/T they are forever
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

:x :x :x Kill the courts! :x :x :x

Seriously though, I've only read the scripts and watched the trailers, and taking her out the show would be a shame.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

then she should not drink and drive.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Elfgirl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Elfgirl »

sgtnull wrote:then she should not drink and drive.
Then the cops should go out there and catch REAL criminals instead of dumping on small-potato stuff like bit over the limit in both speed and alcohol consumption.
ImageImageImage
-- Nick Succorso

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

>sigh< my nephew lost his legs to a drunk driver. and another nephew lost his life to someone going a bit over the speed limit. so i have no sympathy for Ms.Rodriguez or any other star.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Elfgirl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Elfgirl »

Sympathies to you, sgtnull. I can see why you hate DUI convictions.

And I quite agree with the drunk driving thing. But they also target people who only had ONE glass of wine/beer or happen to be 5km over the speed limit. That's just blatant revenue raising, especially here in West Oz where they rely on speed cameras. HIDING them, to boot!

The cops' agenda is soooo limited to petty things cos they're EASY - what about catching drug dealers? Murderers? Rapists? Child molesters? Wife beaters? Come on. Too hard? Too many kickbacks? Jeebuzz - priorities, guys!

sorry bout the rant, but I'm basing it on the blockheaded WA Police system. We have a serial killer, unsolved for nearly 20 years. Call that good police work, cos I don't.
ImageImageImage
-- Nick Succorso

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

sorry, i was unkind. i just don't understand why the show doesn't hire drivers. something like six/seven cast members hit for tickets. sorry to take out frustration with my life on this board.
and btw: i hate the courts for letting the pervs out. i work at a prison and see the revolving door all the time.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Elfgirl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Elfgirl »

No need for apologies Sarge - my apologies back then for bringing up something very sensitive and personal to you!

I'm an advocate for 'punishment fitting the crime' - bring back the good ol' failproof Roman law of 'eye for an eye' - let's see the perves breaking their backs doing hard labor, eating moldy bread and stale water, chained and whipped and treated like the filth they are.

If nothing else, it will provide a dang good deterrent to OTHER would-be perves. :twisted:
ImageImageImage
-- Nick Succorso

Return to “TV Shows”