Pet Peeves

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

peter wrote:..... and they're starting to omit the 'skip ad' option more and more frequently!
Are they? Are you using any browser extensions/plugins?

--A
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I'm still finding that most ads can be skipped, though I don't spend a lot of time on YouTube.

Firefox with no addons.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Post by Avatar »

No add-ons? How do you live? :D

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

peter wrote:..... and they're starting to omit the 'skip ad' option more and more frequently!
Are they? Are you using any browser extensions/plugins?

--A
:lol: Not that I'm aware Av. In fact my browser is so outdated that virtually every site I usetells me it is no longer supported. YouTube actually displays big sad face emoticon, but then lets me use it anyway!

(Quick peeve: people who take an age to choose a bottle of wine, and then select a bottle of total crap anyway (actually not a peeve because I appreciate their custom - more an amused observation).)
Your politicians screwed you over and you are suprised by this?

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Avatar wrote:No add-ons? How do you live? :D

--A
In a cave. (Well, not yet. It's in the works.)

peter wrote: (Quick peeve: people who take an age to choose a bottle of wine, and then select a bottle of total crap anyway (actually not a peeve because I appreciate their custom - more an amused observation).)
That would be me. My wine-buying knowledge would fit in a thimble with room to spare. Therefore, I go by label and price. The last bottle I purchased featured a rather nice picture of a griffin, and cost $7. It was highly disappointing.

ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Sorus wrote:
peter wrote: (Quick peeve: people who take an age to choose a bottle of wine, and then select a bottle of total crap anyway (actually not a peeve because I appreciate their custom - more an amused observation).)
That would be me. My wine-buying knowledge would fit in a thimble with room to spare. Therefore, I go by label and price. The last bottle I purchased featured a rather nice picture of a griffin, and cost $7. It was highly disappointing.
I've just bumped the wine thread for you, Sorus. I know it's middle-class and bourgeois etc. etc. etc., but if you're going to drink wine at all it's worth knowing just the tiniest bit about it.

1st rule of thumb: don't bother buying cheap wine! (price generally indicates quality. Buy good beer and good spirits instead and save up to splash out on good wine).

2nd rule of thumb: experiment a little bit. (Don't just find a wine you like and then drink it forevermore. Most of the fun with wines is trying something new.)

3rd rule of thumb: don't just buy single variety wines e.g. Pinot Noir, Merlot etc.. (Some of the nicest wines are blended.)

Tips: If you like rich reds try: Cotes du Rhone, Chateauneuf du Pape, Rioja, Chianti.

If you like light fruity whites try: Pino Grigio, Reisling

That's probably the complete extent of my wine knowledge, but it's taken me twenty years of drinking wine to learn it! :biggrin:

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I drink almost exclusively Pinot Grigio, because I am older and I know what I like, and I like cool, crisp and dry, and I occasionally venture into Pinot Noir. But I can certainly tell you that I enjoy many of the inexpensive (but not cheap) bottles, and there's a considerable variety there to venture around in. I don't disagree that generally the more expensive the better, and I live by that rule when I require champagne for an occasion, however for me the cost/benefit ratio doesn't work out - a $20 bottle of PG isn't worth twice as much [to me] as a $10 one. But two $10 ones are. Anyway, now I know about 15 labels that I like and that keeps me happy -and- varied.

Uncorking the occasional clunker is part of the fun. Besides, wine is like sex. (When it's good, etc etc.)
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

ussusimiel wrote:That's probably the complete extent of my wine knowledge, but it's taken me twenty years of drinking wine to learn it!
I only buy wine once in a blue moon, but it would be nice to expand my knowledge beyond 'a bird or a tree on the label is probably good, but griffins are mediocre at best'.

(I have probably horrified Peter. Sorry, Peter.)

Post by Avatar »

:LOLS:

--A
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

wine starts tasting good after the 2nd bottle. is that a problem?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

(That's odd. I posted a reply here yesterday, saw it in the thread and today it's gone. How bizarre. :? )

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

peter wrote:(That's odd. I posted a reply here yesterday, saw it in the thread and today it's gone. How bizarre. :? )
mayhaps it was that thrid bottle of wine?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Post by Avatar »

peter wrote: :lol: Not that I'm aware Av. In fact my browser is so outdated that virtually every site I usetells me it is no longer supported. YouTube actually displays big sad face emoticon, but then lets me use it anyway!
Update your browser man. :D

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

peter wrote: :lol: Not that I'm aware Av. In fact my browser is so outdated that virtually every site I usetells me it is no longer supported. YouTube actually displays big sad face emoticon, but then lets me use it anyway!
Update your browser man. :D

--A

Tried Av - screwed up my computer. It's never been the same since, even though I removed the update. I need a new machine is what I need. :lol:

I can manage about two bottles plus a glug or two from a third Sarge.........but the price is heavy ;) .

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

peter wrote: Tried Av - screwed up my computer. It's never been the same since, even though I removed the update. I need a new machine is what I need. :lol:
Install a different (modern) browser rather than update the old one? Anyway, new one is in the works, then you can play Empire. :D

--A
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

ussusimiel wrote:
Tips: If you like rich reds try: Cotes du Rhone, Chateauneuf du Pape, Rioja, Chianti.

If you like light fruity whites try: Pino Grigio, Reisling
I think my main problem when it comes to wine buying is that while I have had wine that was exceptionally good, my wine-related vocabulary is insufficient to articulate what I liked about that particular bottle.

I like a dry, griffin-free red, but there's more to it than that. Rich? I have no idea.

I like knowing the proper terminology for things. I'm sure it's much more reliable than pictograms.

Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Apparently the hippo upstairs is not a hippo after all, but actually 4 human children, who are mercifully just visiting. I could not think of a tactful way to ask how long the visit will last.

Post by Avatar »

At least there is a light at the end of the tunnel. ;)

Wine "vocab" is usually related to tastes which the taste evokes, the texture and the body.

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

In the UK reds are graded A to E, with A being the lightest and E the richest (ie most full bodied). D grade wines of the Cabernet sauvignon variety will be fullish bodied - or try a Ravenswood Zinfandel: that should hit the spot!

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Came into work to find my workspace covered in broken glass. All I could get from my boss was 'they broke it on Saturday'. Who broke what? It's safety glass - the sort that breaks into neat little squares, so it's not like someone just dropped a bottle or something.

I didn't ask why no one cleaned it up, because I am learning to not ask stupid questions.

peter wrote:In the UK reds are graded A to E, with A being the lightest and E the richest (ie most full bodied). D grade wines of the Cabernet sauvignon variety will be fullish bodied - or try a Ravenswood Zinfandel: that should hit the spot!
See, bird and tree. I tell you, I'm onto something here.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”