Gates of Fire

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

The Leper Fairy
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Leper Fairy »

Fist and Faith wrote:Those who haven't read it shouldn't be "tsk"ing anybody, young lady!!!
What?! I've read it! I'm tsking you for not recruiting more people :|

Pie and Cake
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

This also sounds very good,
a qoute which might be in it i believe is the one which goes roughly like this :
Greek : The Persians have so many archers they will turn the sky black with arrows.
Spartan: Then we will fight in the Dark!
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Brinn wrote:LOL!!! Keep up the good work Fist. I will no be happy until every man women and child on this board has read this masterpiece!
I'm still in hiding.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

:LOLS: I put you on my list of those who have read it, then complained that you hadn't! Ah, Claire, if we were near each other, I'd give you a big stick to give me some well-deserved whacks!!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

dmm,jmttbttt
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Here's an interview with Pressfield talking about Gates. It took place just before Bagger Vance was released in theaters.
www.historicalnovelsociety.org/solander ... erview.htm
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

bumpity-bump
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

Guess what i bought? :P

I'll start it tongiht.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

BE PREPARED!!!!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Just a little bump. In case, you know, anybody just happened to be looking for this thread.

(Didn't Malik also start a thread for this book? I can't find it.)
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

Is this book at all similar to the movie 300?
"Persevera, per severa, per se vera." Persist through difficulties, even though it is hard.
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
Buy my best friend's fantastic fantasy book! Pulse is also available here.
Stutty
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Stutty »

Haven't seen the 300, and actually refuse to, because of this book. The 300 could only taint my vision of this story.

The 300 images I've seen look a cartoonish. This book is the in your face harshness/humaness of war. As F&F has said, it is truly is one of the greatest books I've ever read.

stutt
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1001001 = ASC(73) = "I"
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

:LOLS:

300 was rubbish compared to the book. Luckily, I'd already seen it before I read the book, but if the order had been reversed, I'd have never watched the whole movie.

What an awesome book. It took me about a hundred pages to get into it, more my own fault than the book's, but when I did it was almost impossible to put it down until I'd finished.

Of course, I already had a little history on Thermopylae, (enough that I complained frequently when watching the movie anyway), so it was a pleasure to see the most enduring myths, (like the fact that there were only 300 of them) given no credence.

I was also amused at the "democracy" the battle defended, the strictly rigid and hierarchial class structure with no equality. Quite different from what we mean when we say democracy today.

Superbly written battles that captured awesomely the personal horror of that type of combat. I'll be reading it again soon, that's for sure.

--A
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Auleliel wrote:Is this book at all similar to the movie 300?
Yes. They are both about the battle of Thermopylae. But that movie is based on a comic book of the same name. Great comic book, and a very fun movie. There have been other movies about the battle, and probably many many books. But Gates of Fire is phenomenal!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
AjK
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Standing in the dark. Watching you glow. Lifting a receiver ...

Post by AjK »

Fist and Faith wrote:
Yes. They are both about the battle of Thermopylae. But that movie is based on a comic book of the same name. Great comic book, and a very fun movie. There have been other movies about the battle, and probably many many books. But Gates of Fire is phenomenal!
Fist & Faith, thanks for the bump on this book since I am a big fan of this historical story. While I did enjoy the movie 300 despite inaccuracies/embellishments I usually prefer the book. I will definitely check this one out.

On a related note, for those interested in the warrior aspect of various world cultures (past & present) I found "The Code of the Warrior: Exploring Warrior Values Past and Present" by Shannon French to be an interesting book. It is more educational than inspiring but I liked it. (www.amazon.com/Code-Warrior-Exploring-V ... 104&sr=1-2)
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Cool! Enjoy! :D
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

Andy Kalish wrote:
Fist and Faith wrote:
Fist & Faith, thanks for the bump on this book since I am a big fan of this historical story. While I did enjoy the movie 300 despite inaccuracies/embellishments I usually prefer the book. I will definitely check this one out.

On a related note, for those interested in the warrior aspect of various world cultures (past & present) I found "The Code of the Warrior: Exploring Warrior Values Past and Present" by Shannon French to be an interesting book. It is more educational than inspiring but I liked it. (www.amazon.com/Code-Warrior-Exploring-V ... 104&sr=1-2)
Okay, I'm convinced. I shall look into getting both books. Btw, if Gates of Fire had been very similar to 300, I would not even consider trying to read it. To me, the movie was merely okay.
"Persevera, per severa, per se vera." Persist through difficulties, even though it is hard.
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Auleliel, do you read many comic books? 300 is not a typical representation of the genre, although many of us love it. :D But it was written by Frank Miller, the guy who wrote the Sin City comic books. And that was a great movie! :mrgreen:

In any event, Gates of Fire is a fantastic novel!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Yeah.
Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

Fist and Faith wrote:Auleliel, do you read many comic books? 300 is not a typical representation of the genre, although many of us love it. :D But it was written by Frank Miller, the guy who wrote the Sin City comic books. And that was a great movie! :mrgreen:

In any event, Gates of Fire is a fantastic novel!
I have never read a comic book, and would not know where to find one if I decided I wanted to read one. I believe you about Gates of Fire. I will attempt to find it and read it. I promise.
Proud Member of THOOOTP.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”