prone to being Hooked
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Aisha
Stonedownor

Post by Aisha »

So there's a space reserved for origin stories. You want them emailed, and you'll post them there when you approve them?

Also, you still want "Acropolis" in the subject each turn? Not "The People"?
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Eh, I'll probably just erase that post or use it for something else. Go ahead and put it in Origination stories. If you're unsure beforehand, PM me, and I'll tell you if anything won't work.

And yeah, probably easier to stick with 'Acropolis' so I don't have to change my filters.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Aisha
Stonedownor

Post by Aisha »

Is a turn equal to a season?
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Nah, I'm still going with 1:1. I think it helps keep the kind of immediacy I'm looking for in this game.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

There's a city in Wisconsin called Nakoma. There was a comic book called The Badger (which was really great fun), and the title of one issue was In a Coma in Nakoma. Heh
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

"Fusang" sounds an awful lot like "Wu-Tang."
-George Steiner
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I asked Eddie, my stepson, about the map. He's really good with art. He's drawn a couple maps for balon in the past. So about five minutes later, he says, "How's this so far?"

:LOLS: Cracks me up. Freehand, in five minutes, in pen! I told him to let me scan this before he went on. I wish I could draw! I don't think the problem is that I can't get what's in my head down on paper. I think the problem is that I can't get anything clear in my head. Eddie gets it clear, and gets it on paper. Amazes me!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Fist and Faith wrote:I think the problem is that I can't get anything clear in my head. Eddie gets it clear, and gets it on paper. Amazes me!
Fascinating.

Whereas I read the description of the World and the Tree, and the Tree is more metaphysical to me. I don't picture a huge tree rising up like the mountain in L-rd Valentine's Castle. But I do see the heavens, the firmament, and dark recesses defined by the three planes of the bough, the trunk, and the roots.

So, I guess I best ask for clarity. Is there a huge tree as part of the map, Autarch?
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Yep. Right in the middle. An actual, ginormous tree. If I was drawing a rough sketch of it, a bird's-eye view would look like a smallish nipple in the middle of a large, round boob (with the corner bitten out of it where the sea replaces the mountains)... with the mountainous roots leading up to it like the areola.

Not a bad sketch. I like the clouds. But I'm thinking more elm and less broccoli. Relatively slender compared to the roots and the canopy (which extend just about as far). No branches below the cloud line.
-George Steiner
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Wicked. That kids got skillz. :D
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

balon! wrote:Wicked. That kids got skillz. :D
Yup! I wasn't thinking it was going to be what we're looking for. And this isn't the finished product, either. I just wanted to scan this before he continued because I think it's gorgeous.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Fist and Faith wrote:There's a city in Wisconsin called Nakoma. There was a comic book called The Badger (which was really great fun), and the title of one issue was In a Coma in Nakoma. Heh
In a strange sort of synchronicity, I stole the name of my tribe from Feist, it's the Hawk clan of the Moredhel, and there is also a Badger clan.

--A
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

How did this turn into Aesir?
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Well...
I think Velt may be influencing things.
...a little, perhaps. ;)
Dread Poet Jethro
My quill pen is mightier Than the sword you drop

Post by Dread Poet Jethro »

Is that "Thought" or "Velt"?
Do you see they differ, or
Shall I take my Leaf?
Yes, I am an alt
Whose? An open secret to
Attentive Watchers
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

DPJ needs to sign up, this time. Be Coyote the trickster god, or something equally as likely to just lob pot-shots in verse.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Menolly wrote:Well...
I think Velt may be influencing things.
...a little, perhaps. ;)
You know where the name Syl comes from, right? ;)
-George Steiner
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Ah, I long for the Caer Sylvanus days. Heh
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “Acropolis”