Whatcha been playing lately?

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I'm installing it right now. Longest part of the install process (not the download)? "Installing Microsoft DirectX". You know, the same thing every game I've ever bought has already installed. :evil:

Edit: Why do I have to log in to this single-player game?
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Rigel wrote:Seriously, Steam is giving you grief? It's the f***ing enlightenment as far as DRM goes... Have you EVER played a game from Ubisoft or EA and dealt with the sh** they force on you?

Sucks about downloading the updates before you could play, but that's not Steam's fault, that's the studio that put it out (2k games? I don't remember).
SEGA these days.

Bought discs...inserted discs...couldn't install Steam from discs, error message about some .dll. Searched internet...found workaround...installed Steam...Steam won't connect via a network...unplug and move computer so I can plug it straight into my modem...Steam starts...can't install the game from the brand new discs that I paid for...error...couldn't run install script...searched internet...found workaround...Steam tries to download 20GB game instead of installing from disc...search internet...found workaround...finally get it to install from disc...Steam downloads over a gig of update without asking...7.5 hours from first inserting the disc before I can actually start the game.

This shit is a huge pain, even leaving aside the fact that it's a big "up yours" to people without reliable, cheap and fast broadband.
Murrin wrote:Edit: Why do I have to log in to this single-player game?
You only have to go online once, to activate and update it. After that, go into Steam, select "offline mode" and exit. Restart in offline mode and you won't need to go online to play.

--A
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I was referring to From Dust, not Steam, which I know I'm always online in. Ubisoft require you to log into an account with them to launch the game.

Post by Avatar »

Ah, I'll be skipping that then. :lol:

--A
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

balon! wrote:Just started Final Fantasy Tactics...I never thought any FF would replace VIII as my favorite...my brain is a little confused.
Are we talking about the original that originally was on PS1? If so, yeah, it is a wonderful game as far as gameplay goes. I'll be damned if I can follow the plot of thing though.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Avatar wrote: Bought discs...inserted discs...couldn't install Steam from discs, error message about some .dll. Searched internet...found workaround...installed Steam...Steam won't connect via a network...unplug and move computer so I can plug it straight into my modem...Steam starts...can't install the game from the brand new discs that I paid for...error...couldn't run install script...searched internet...found workaround...Steam tries to download 20GB game instead of installing from disc...search internet...found workaround...finally get it to install from disc...Steam downloads over a gig of update without asking...7.5 hours from first inserting the disc before I can actually start the game.
This is one of the reasons game consoles sell so much better than gaming PCs.

(The other reason is that gaming in your living room is FUN ;) )
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

On the other hand, most people will have bought it directly through Steam, and downloaded the current version in an hour or two. I know it's no consolation, but Av's situation of buying the game discs is probably the minority these days, so they'll not be as concerned about fixing it.

God I hate console ports, though. They totally messed up the controls because they had the design constraint of working with a thumb stick instead of a mouse. Yes, From Dust developers, we all know controlling a cursor with a thumb stick is goddamn awful, and you did right to try and make it less so. But you really should've put it back to normal when you ported to PC.

Post by Avatar »

Murrin wrote:On the other hand, most people will have bought it directly through Steam, and downloaded the current version in an hour or two. I know it's no consolation, but Av's situation of buying the game discs is probably the minority these days, so they'll not be as concerned about fixing it.
Sadly true. :lol: Although I did see some people who'd had to download it multiple times who weren't too happy. :lol:

Yeah...I try to keep my bandwidth usage at or below 5GB a month. And even that's not cheap. And on a good day, I might get 150kbp/s. It'd take me days to download 20Gb. Not to mention the cost.

Bastards. :lol:

--A
JazFusion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JazFusion »

Day of Sex: Human Revolution
"Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt." - Kurt Vonnegut
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

JazFusion wrote:Day of Sex: Human Revolution
:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm glad I'm not the only one who hears this when I say that title.

How is it? Should I get excited?
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

It's a good game. I'm playing it at the moment too. <Insert same complaint everyone makes about how it encourages stealth everywhere then locks you in a room with a boss.>
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Murrin wrote:It's a good game. I'm playing it at the moment too. <Insert same complaint everyone makes about how it encourages stealth everywhere then locks you in a room with a boss.>
That's one of my favorite things about the first game... I stealthed past half the "bosses," and the other half got a rocket to the face the moment they stepped into view. I don't care who you are in that game, eating a rocket HURTS.
JazFusion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JazFusion »

Murrin wrote:It's a good game. I'm playing it at the moment too. <Insert same complaint everyone makes about how it encourages stealth everywhere then locks you in a room with a boss.>
Yes.

BUT, you should get excited because it's a WHOLE DAY OF SEX!

No, really. It's a good game. I like it.
JazFusion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JazFusion »

I mean, I could sit here and pontificate at you the reasons why I like DXHR, but....ADD.
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

I picked up the 2 pack of Ico and Shadows of the Colossus for the PS3, while trading in the PS2 originals. I hadn't played them in years, and wanted the new shiny package of both. I played through both over the two weeks off from work during those times when the kids were asleep instead of nabbing some sleep myself. I see again why they are two of my favorite games.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Assassin's Creed II. Freaking sweet. 8)
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I started a "Quick" game of Civ 5 this morning. Next thing I knew it wasn't morning any more.
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

It's been quite a while since I've gamed on my PC. Lately most of my gaming has been on my phone.

Angry birds, scrabble, and a few Tower Defense games that I've been enjoying (in particular, Sentinel 3).

However, I don't think this will replace PC or console gaming... It's just another addition to the mix. The control scheme it's very poorly suited to certain types of games.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

ps3 = madden

julie bought the system and game for me last week. and the big screen tv. :)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
JazFusion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JazFusion »

Cambo wrote:Assassin's Creed II. Freaking sweet. 8)
That is probably my most favorite game ever. I always recommend it!

I've been playing Doom 2 on XBL. There's a new expansion called "No Rest For The Living" and it is insane. I'm playing it on a bit of the Ultra-Violence, little brother, so it's intense. I haven't thrown a controller at the screen yet, but I've been sorely tempted to on many occasions.

Return to “PC & Console Games”