Whatcha been playing lately?

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

An interesting game I played recently: Gone Home, which has no combat, no real puzzles, just one person alone in an empty house one night in 1995.

It's an exploration game, and an interactive story: You are Katie Greenfield, and you've just come home from a long holiday in Europe. Your family moved home while you were away, and you arrive to find the new house empty. You then go through the house examining all the various objects, and reading letters. As you go you hear diary entries of your sister, Sam, telling her story. Other items in the house fill in more details that explain what's happened.

It's a short and simple game, but a good one.
Rau Le Creuset
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Rau Le Creuset »

@ Avatar

I'm not sure what AoE or RTS stand for sorry. can you explain?

and yeah you do die a lot in dark souls but that's not a bad thing.. your supposed to die.. they kinda make death give you lessons in that game. it's got a fairly steep learning curve but it's worth it to play and finish
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Real Time Strategy and Age of Empires. :lol:

Not to worry, I managed to motivate myself to do a search earlier, and it is.

In other words, you build bases on the map, adding buildings that produce specific units and you control each unit as though it was an individual soldier/whatever.

I usually would have said C&C (Command & Conquer) but I thought that might be too old to be recognisable now. I guess AoE is too. ;)

--A
Rau Le Creuset
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Rau Le Creuset »

I think I might actually have age of empires somewhere in my house... it's kinda ringing a few bells. If it's as good as battle for middle earth id probably go and find it ;D.

It's to bad they shut down the online component for battle for middle earth. it had a lot of people playing and it was way funner than playing against the computers xD
"I am He, that arrogant fool who thought he could thwart death itself with his money."

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, I'm afraid that the Total War games have spoilt RTS for me...I just don't like that AoE style of gameplay anymore.

:D

--A
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

The last Total War I played was Medieval 2, so I guess if Rome II isn't at its best yet I could always look at Empire or Shogun 2. How are those installments, better/worse than Rome 1 or Medieval 2?

Edit: I gave in and bought Rome 2. I just couldn't find the enthusiasm for Empire or Shogun 2.

Edit2: So far I've lost the Prologue campaign twice because the enemy assassinated the main character between turns.

Post by Avatar »

Shogun 2 was awesome...a return to the old TW. Empire is notoriously broken. I really enjoyed Napoleon though, especially the Peninsular Campaign add-on.

Will follow your thread with interest while I wait for all the patches to come out before buying it myself. ;)

--A
Theo Mach II
Ramen

Post by Theo Mach II »

thoughts have no lips
but they speak
they make no sounds
but we listen

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, I've checked that out, but I have the wrong version of Arma or something and can't run it.

--A

Post by Avatar »

Well, picked up a cheap copy of Just Cause 2 to keep me amused while I wait for Rome II.

Quite fun actually.

--A

Post by Avatar »

Fallout 3 GOTY edition. Picked it upon a Steam sale...pretty much identical to FONV so I'm enjoying it a lot.

--A
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Well, there are enough differences to easily tell them apart but the base of the engine and game mechanics are the same, yes. I prefer New Vegas over 3, myself, because I like the look and feel of the game better--Honest Hearts in Zion Canyon is beautiful, Big Mountain is funny, and the Sierra Madre is simply a fascinating/compelling story. The Divide...ugh--what a chore. Still...I have gotten back to 3 lately, as well.

Slowly--very slowly--I have been trying to help with the beta for Wasteland 2 but the computer at the house keeps crashing when I go to transition to the worldmap. I need to double-check the configuration and I may have to reinstall the game. We'll see how it goes.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.

Post by Avatar »

Oh, I agree that FONV is better, but the difference is by no means jarring, which is always a risk when playing backwards, even by a single iteration.

(I found the same with Skyrim/Oblivion to my delight, although the difference there is considerably more marked.)

Now lets hope the next FO uses Skyrim's leveling system.

--A
JazFusion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JazFusion »

Bought my son a WiiU for Xmas, so naturally I got Assassin's Creed 4. ;)

It's...ehh. I love being a pirate, and the amount of research into the history of the time period is impressive, but the story is pretty much crap. I'm having fun with it, though.
"Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt." - Kurt Vonnegut
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

I got hooked on Lord of the Rings Online. MMORPG, and free to play. Though I'd imagine for higher levels (mid 30s), you prob gotta pay for expansion, but I believe the expansion covers your account. And since there are 4 races and 7 or 8 classes, there are a lot of options to create characters. The fellowshipping is really addictive, yet plenty to do solo as well. I may be biased b/c I love LOTR more than TC, but it's been a great game so far. If anyone plays, let me know.
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?

Post by Avatar »

Replaying FONV, this time with all the DLC.

--A
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I'm replaying Half-Life 2. This remains simply the best first person shooter I've ever played. I wonder if it will ever be beaten at that.

Post by Avatar »

Playing the Caesar In Gaul expansion for RTWII.

Fun, as I'm reading Iggulden's Rome books, and the GF is readin Druids by Morgan Llewellyn. :D

I'm playing as Vercingetorix. :D

--A
JazFusion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JazFusion »

Played and finished The Banner Saga a while ago. It was short, but beautiful and sad. Highly recommend it.
"Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt." - Kurt Vonnegut
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Still playing Half-Life 2 (up to Anti-Citizen One). Also still playing far too much Hearthstone.

Return to “PC & Console Games”