The Mordant's Need Trivia Game (Spoilers!!!)

"Reflect" on Stephen Donaldson's other epic fantasy

Moderator: Cord Hurn

samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

IrrationalSanity wrote:
IrrationalSanity wrote:
IrrationalSanity wrote:
Sticking to the subject of Vagel...

What did Vagel say that Eremis' "real power" is, that makes him willing to play second fiddle?
The answer to this one is so short, it doesn't lend itself well to clues. I just hope someone eventually takes this question and makes it their own...
Not even a nibble? I felt sure someone would have their way with this question by now...
Hmmm I seem to be remembering something to the effect of that Eremis knew how to strategize and coordinate events with people. Vagel was more interested in just using his Imagery talent then trying to work with people to get to some desired end. Vagel felt Eremis knew how to take images and events and "manipulate" << although that may be the correct term to some desired end.
Not every person is going to understand you and that's okay. They have a right to their opinion and you have every right to ignore it.
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

samrw3 wrote:
IrrationalSanity wrote:
IrrationalSanity wrote:
The answer to this one is so short, it doesn't lend itself well to clues. I just hope someone eventually takes this question and makes it their own...
Not even a nibble? I felt sure someone would have their way with this question by now...
Hmmm I seem to be remembering something to the effect of that Eremis knew how to strategize and coordinate events with people. Vagel was more interested in just using his Imagery talent then trying to work with people to get to some desired end. Vagel felt Eremis knew how to take images and events and "manipulate" << although that may be the correct term to some desired end.
There was a big monologue by Vagel that talks about the relative advantages of the various team members, including lots of stuff about Eremis (some of which you covered). However, at the end he boils it down to a single statement: "his real power is that he can * * * * *"
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

"have his way with anyone"
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Cord Hurn wrote:"have his way with anyone"
Correct!
:goodnevil: :rockband:

As I said, it didn't lend itself to the kind of subtle hints I like to provide, so when I did drop one, it was almost verbatim the answer.

In any case, once he made that proclamation, he went on to detail just how Eremis did and would have his way with pretty much every player.

Your question!
- Woody -
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Thank you, Sanity!

My question: when Terisa is led to her rooms by Artagel after an encounter in the lower levels with Gart, which followed the meeting of the Lords, Terisa tells Artagel he should leave her and let her return to her rooms without him.

What reason does Terisa give for wanting Artagel to part from her?
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Cord Hurn wrote:Thank you, Sanity!

My question: when Terisa is led to her rooms by Artagel after an encounter in the lower levels with Gart, which followed the meeting of the Lords, Terisa tells Artagel he should leave her and let her return to her rooms without him.

i don't remember all the details but it was something to the effect of too many questions being asked. Something about too much blood? Aack its on the tip of my brain...but mahybe that is close enough?
Not every person is going to understand you and that's okay. They have a right to their opinion and you have every right to ignore it.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

samrw3 wrote:

i don't remember all the details but it was something to the effect of too many questions being asked. Something about too much blood? Aack its on the tip of my brain...but mahybe that is close enough?
Ah, but too many questions being asked of Artagel by whom?
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Cord Hurn wrote:
samrw3 wrote:

Ah, but too many questions being asked of Artagel by whom?
The guards Ribuld and Angus and then - probably more of threat eventually Castellan Lebbick. Lebbick was already suspicious of Terisa. They did not want to handle questions about Gart and a translation in the castle AND Prince Kragen's involvement.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Yes, Terisa wanted to protect Artagel from too many questions being asked of him by Castellan Lebbick. Good job, Sam: it's your question!
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Not sure how easy this question is - but to keep the game moving along.

What did Geraden say to Master Barsonage when offered a chasuble? {Don't worry I do not expect a word by word exact quote]

Bonus points - what was Geraden's two physical reactions to be offered the chasuble?
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Well, he probably fell over and felt sick. :D Did he ask "Why NOW?" :D

--A
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Sorry good tries :)

Why now - certainly is close to the emotional sentiment he was feeling.

However it is the opposite (<<<big hint here) of what he said.

I also prefer the answer to include what he Geraden wanted to do instead "All I want right now is to ...." <<hope to complete that quote.

You were not close on his physical reactions. I just hope your face does not show it <<<big hint here as well :)

Post by Avatar »

Hmmmm....

--A
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

samrw3 wrote:Sorry good tries :)

I also prefer the answer to include what he Geraden wanted to do instead "All I want right now is to ...." <<hope to complete that quote.

You were not close on his physical reactions. I just hope your face does not show it <<<big hint here as well :)
I cannot think of better clue then saying opposite of Why now.

You also do not have to answer this quote - jut prefer it to be answered - but not required:

On bonus questions think of emotions that can be displayed on the face and think of Geraden and you will probably get answers correct.
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

samrw3 wrote:
samrw3 wrote:Sorry good tries :)

I cannot think of better clue then saying opposite of Why now.

You also do not have to answer this quote - jut prefer it to be answered - but not required:

On bonus questions think of emotions that can be displayed on the face and think of Geraden and you will probably get answers correct.
Any more guesses out there? I cannot think of better clues :(

I guess if there is no other guesses by mid next week I will ask another question :D
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

His response was, essentially "NOT now" (as opposed to "WHY now". His primary concern was saving Nyle, and secondarily stopping Eremis. Sorry, I don't have the exact quote you're looking for.
- Woody -
But I love my wife more!

samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

IrrationalSanity wrote:His response was, essentially "NOT now" (as opposed to "WHY now". His primary concern was saving Nyle, and secondarily stopping Eremis. Sorry, I don't have the exact quote you're looking for.

I will give it to you. His actually response was "Later" and quote from book:

"Later-" he murmured. "Maybe later"

I should have made it clearer I was not expecting an exact quote - but it does not matter because you captured part of the quote that mattered.

"All I want right now is to stop Eremis" and you had Eremis in your answer so great job!

The bonus questions were blushing and tears in eyes as emotions Geraden showed.

"...his face turned as crimson" and "The fact that he had tears in his eyes embarrassed him acutely"

Your question!
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

samrw3 wrote:
IrrationalSanity wrote:His response was, essentially "NOT now" (as opposed to "WHY now". His primary concern was saving Nyle, and secondarily stopping Eremis. Sorry, I don't have the exact quote you're looking for.

I will give it to you. His actually response was "Later" and quote from book:

"Later-" he murmured. "Maybe later"

I should have made it clearer I was not expecting an exact quote - but it does not matter because you captured part of the quote that mattered.

"All I want right now is to stop Eremis" and you had Eremis in your answer so great job!

The bonus questions were blushing and tears in eyes as emotions Geraden showed.

"...his face turned as crimson" and "The fact that he had tears in his eyes embarrassed him acutely"

Your question!
I was pretty sure both Eremis and Nyle were on his mind, but not which had the top slot at the moment.

In any case, a somewhat obscure question. Simple answer, but you may have missed it.

When did Terisa surmise why Eremis had used the Slug mirror in his efforts to rescue Terisa and Gereden following the castle roof collapse, and what triggered the realization? Bonus points for the other ramification(s) his choice of that mirror ultimately revealed - and should have much sooner, had folks been paying attention at the time.
- Woody -
But I love my wife more!

Post by Avatar »

To piss off the slug for the final battle? (And she realised during the battle when he translated it against the champion?)

--A
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Avatar wrote:To piss off the slug for the final battle? (And she realised during the battle when he translated it against the champion?)

--A
I'll accept that.

There was a specific term I was looking for on the reason (not simply making it angry, but teaching it to "hate stone"), but that's close enough, as the answer to the first/core part of the question was absolutely correct (during the final battle). I'd feel better if you got the answer to the bonus question to go along with it, but you're free to ask a question at this point.

Unless, of course, you just want to use the bonus itself as your question... ;)
- Woody -
But I love my wife more!

Return to “Mordant's Need”