Do JK Rowling Haters Have A Point?

And the Harry Potter series.

Moderator: Menolly

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

The same class of idiots have burned Beatles and Elvis CDs in the past...Rock n Roll is aslo the work of the devil, don't cha kno...(that so much media attn. is give 2 those w/such narrow minds is beyond me. ho hum...) I love that quote Dromond! 8O **does Protestant impersonation**
fall far and well Pilots!
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

I have zero tolerance for "book burners". The same group of people burning Harry Potter are also burning The Diary of Anne Frank. I just don't get it...I really don't... :?
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I also have little to no tolerance for book burners/music destroyers. If you don't like it then don't read it or listen to it. :roll: :roll:

I have noticed, though, that the people who are burning Harry Potter (with a theme of good standing up to evil) and Anne Frank (with a theme of staying good and finding hope in the face of monstrous evil) usually are not burning books like Mein Kampf (filled with hate and inciting people to commit/be evil). I've always found that to be interesting. :wink:
Love as thou wilt.

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

mmm .. interesting point duchess!!

very true!!

I have never understood the extreme fundamentalist allegedly 'christian' opposition to JKRowling and her creation.

some people are just too small minded to understand .. and do these same violently opposed to HP .. also oppose Tolkien's LotR's?? is it fantasy in general??

unbelievable!! total idiocy!!
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Where do the people that burn these evil satanic childrens storybooks come from. I've only seen (typical of me saying it) a very small group of Americans and Canadain's do so.
Ylva Kresh
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Ylva Kresh »

Hoom - thinking - Hoom. I think one of the few people who might have some right to dislike Rowling is Diane Wynne-Jones...

People who burn books must be insane. I think all books have the right to exist (with the possible exception of my 4th grade math-book :wink: ), they are a piece of someones mind. It is up to the reader to judge whether it is a good book or not. By burning books you have pre-judged the intelligence of all people who might have read it. I like to make my decisions myself.

Hoom-hoom. Perhaps book-burning is a sign that a book is really worth reading.
SLATFATF...

Post by Guest »

er......yeah..... what he said
Theo
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Theo »

Furls Fire wrote:Rowling is Christain, she has stated it in several interviews.
Really? I wouldn't have guessed. The books themselves show absolutely no sign of being informed by any religious beliefs - in fact neither Christianity nor other religions seem to exist at all in the alternate Britain the books take place in.

You wouldn't happen to have a link to any of these interviews? (Not that I'm doubting your word, I'm genuinely curious.)

Furls Fire wrote:Besides, just because you aren't "christain" doesn't mean you are a satanist. The fact is, her books are NOT satanic. And the people burning them are narrow minded and ignorant.
Well, yeah. Obviously. :)

Theo
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

There was a big Harry Potter book burning at a local church a couple of years ago. 8O I was flabbergasted! I didn't know people still actually burned books, any more than they actually burn witches! :cry:

Burning books is skin-crawlingly hideous. :evil:
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Theo, she doesn't put it in the books per se. But she is appalled that people are calling her a satanist just because her books are about witchcraft. And it's obviously people who haven't read the books at all.

The interviews I was referring too are ones I saw televised. The latest was on either Dateline or 20/20, I can't remember which, right after OotP came out. Not sure if they are on the net anywhere. In them, she repeatedly said she is a christian.

I think she also mentioned it on her MSN webcast.
And I believe in you
I will remember you

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Theo
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Theo »

Well, there you go. You learn something new every day. :) Thanks for the heads-up.

Maybe it's not surprising, really. Both Ozzy Osbourne and Alice Cooper are Christians, too, and they've faced this Satanic crap for decades. :P
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

Look at it this way... the morons who burn books because they percieve something evil are indeed idiots without question. But if they're buying the books and paying the cover prices and thus making the author(s) money and burning their own money then it's their loss.
Likewise their loss when they close their minds to something new. They're probably just jealous because they didn't think of the Harry Potter series first and a single mother on welfare did and is now richer than the queen.
Fundamentalist and extremist will always be around and we can only suffer their existence and ignore them.
Frank Zappa said the mind is like a parachute...it works best when it's open. Following that logic, seems to me that these folks are gonna go SPLAT sooner or later.
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Well said!! :)
And I believe in you
I will remember you

Image Image
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Seafoam Understone wrote:Look at it this way... the morons who burn books because they percieve something evil are indeed idiots without question. But if they're buying the books and paying the cover prices and thus making the author(s) money and burning their own money then it's their loss.
Likewise their loss when they close their minds to something new. They're probably just jealous because they didn't think of the Harry Potter series first and a single mother on welfare did and is now richer than the queen.
Fundamentalist and extremist will always be around and we can only suffer their existence and ignore them.
Frank Zappa said the mind is like a parachute...it works best when it's open. Following that logic, seems to me that these folks are gonna go SPLAT sooner or later.
Hail Seafoam! How right you are! People who burn books are just stupid.
Last edited by Revan on Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Yep, burning those crannies is pretty damn foolish too :P
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

Hee hee!! :mrgreen: :haha:
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

But what freaks would burn books anyways. I mean why? There's no real reason for it. I mean these people must have no lives...
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

eh? What was that? :bounce03: :) ;)
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

LOL! Sorry. It said "Cannot post a message so soon after you posted another message" Or some crap like that. So I kept going back and was trying to get it through, without realising I posted the same crappy message 4 times. heh
Blue_Spawn
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Blue_Spawn »

You guys, don't you know that Witchcraft is about Satain worship and demon summoning? Gawd, even I know that :roll:

Return to “J.K. Rowling Forum”