Do JK Rowling Haters Have A Point?

Post by The Leper Fairy »

No, no they don't.

Pie and Cake
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

lol

I've been told, "Hey, you have a point. But if you let your hair grow nobody will notice it."
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

No, they don't.
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Do I have to have a point? Heh, just kidding. I think Potter's a good thing, since it's getting kids off the idiot box and on the, um, book . . . box . . .

Uh, yeah . . .

I just think most kids that revile the thing simply can’t relate to it. I like dark books--full of stuff that doesn't hold back and doesn't let the reader off easy. Potter's not my forte. Plus, by default, the most popular thing is going to be hated simply because it is the most popular thing.

I guess I'm just a dreamer who'd rather see the whole world wrapping their heads around Covenant instead . . . Fact is, many heads can't wrap . . .
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

To my mind, the redeeming feature of the Harry Potter series as a whole is the endings. The endings tend to be quite dark; they make up for the silly frothiness of the rest of the books :P
The Leper Fairy
The Gap Into Spam

True ture...

By JK Rowling haters I meant people who believe that she worships satan and she's trying to convert your lovely little children into mindless minions to do her bidding.... or somthing close to that.

Pie and Cake
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Which is utterly ridiculous...

The people saying that have not read the books and have certainly not listened to her interviews...
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

..... And utterly stupid too. Though, some people have become quite obsessed with Remus Lupin. (I being one of them.) 8) (Really, I've started writing fanfic again...)
The Leper Fairy
The Gap Into Spam

They don't read the books or the interviews because they don't want to be proven wrong. They just enjoy hating something

Pie and Cake
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Oh, those people. No, they're utterly insane and looking for something, anything, to inject some substance into their shallow and dreary lives. Not that it bothers me, of course :P
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

Although I do not subscribe to the belief I do understand the logic in the fact that if you believe that something is evil you should really work against it with all your resources.

What I fail to understand is how you really can see Harry Potter as a threat to peoples souls or whatever. (IMO the greatest threat to human happiness currently are network news broadcasts.)
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
Worm of Despite
Lord

Ryzel wrote:Although I do not subscribe to the belief I do understand the logic in the fact that if you believe that something is evil you should really work against it with all your resources.

What I fail to understand is how you really can see Harry Potter as a threat to peoples souls or whatever. (IMO the greatest threat to human happiness currently are network news broadcasts.)
Yep! Fox News, those bastards!
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

The problem is...that the people calling it "evil" have not READ it. They hear the words "witchcraft" and "wizardry" and "magic" and automatically invision pentagrams and satanism. There are no pentagrams in Harry Potter. Yes, there are some dark themes...but it's a classic story of good vs evil. Sauron is far worse then Voldemort. I don't see them burning LOTR. If these idiots would stop burning the books and read them, they will find out that it's actually a story of love and hope, and teaches kids the value of friendship and loyalty.
And I believe in you
I will remember you

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

The Christian church has tried to create a monopoly on mysticism in the western world since the dark ages.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
Worm of Despite
Lord

Furls Fire wrote:The problem is...that the people calling it "evil" have not READ it. They hear the words "witchcraft" and "wizardry" and "magic" and automatically invision pentagrams and satanism. There are no pentagrams in Harry Potter. Yes, there are some dark themes...but it's a classic story of good vs evil. Sauron is far worse then Voldemort. I don't see them burning LOTR. If these idiots would stop burning the books and read them, they will find out that it's actually a story of love and hope, and teaches kids the value of friendship and loyalty.
True, but Tolkien was a devout Roman Catholic, whereas I'm not sure where Rowling stands. What matters most is that others do not know, either. I think she's also a Christian, but one can never be too sure.
Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

Lord Foul wrote:
Furls Fire wrote:The problem is...that the people calling it "evil" have not READ it. They hear the words "witchcraft" and "wizardry" and "magic" and automatically invision pentagrams and satanism. There are no pentagrams in Harry Potter. Yes, there are some dark themes...but it's a classic story of good vs evil. Sauron is far worse then Voldemort. I don't see them burning LOTR. If these idiots would stop burning the books and read them, they will find out that it's actually a story of love and hope, and teaches kids the value of friendship and loyalty.
True, but Tolkien was a devout Roman Catholic, whereas I'm not sure where Rowling stands. What matters most is that others do not know, either. I think she's also a Christian, but one can never be too sure.
Well, Foul; a lot of people think JRR was of the Devil BECAUSE he was Roman Catholic! It never ends!

I love the quote of Mark Twain where he says: "If Hell exists, it must be full of surprised Presbyterians."
I'm not trying to dump on anyone in particular; just everybody!
Worm of Despite
Lord

Anyone who thinks anyone is of the devil is of the devil. Great, I'm calling people who think anyone is of the devil of the devil. Then I am of the devil, logically. Logic, I hate you.
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

Lord Foul, did you have coffee today? :) And have you been injected with Stitchigenetic DNA?
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Rowling is Christain, she has stated it in several interviews. Besides, just because you aren't "christain" doesn't mean you are a satanist. The fact is, her books are NOT satanic. And the people burning them are narrow minded and ignorant.
And I believe in you
I will remember you

Image Image
Worm of Despite
Lord

I dunno, the Beatles were agnostic, and their music is pretty Satanic . . .

Return to “J.K. Rowling Forum”