The First Staff of Law

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Spoiler
Theomachy is actually a word in the dictionary. You may want to look it up. And then talk about it in the Fatal Revenant forum. Hint. Hint.
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

Spoiler
Look what happens to a spoiler when you use Emoticons in it. :twisted: Are your guys Spoilers really spoilers? 8) I want to read them but I dont want to know more about FR before i Read it.. I already found out about some less than happy Giant. :D
:twisted:
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Blackhawk, yes, they are spoilers for the most part. Until you choose to read FR, shun them!
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

This is not a spoiler:
Spoiler
TC's a leper. Don't touch him. HELLFIRE.
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Agreed with SG and Vader's comments.
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

SGuilfoyle1966
Giantfriend

Post by SGuilfoyle1966 »

What was the question again?
Do, or do not. There is no try.
I think you like me because I'm a scoundrel.
Irishman and Gamecock fan
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

SGuilfoyle1966 wrote:What was the question again?
Something about how was the first Staff of Law cut from the One Tree when Covenant had such a job trying to secure the second.
Your politicians screwed you over and you are suprised by this?

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

The following applies only to those who don't use real trees.

How To Make A Staff Of Law
(and commit the Ritual of Desecration at the same time)

On the twelfth day of Christmas when it's time to put away the tree for another year, don't just stop when you've removed all the tinsle and the fairy lights. Remove all the wiry branches too. Then strip away the staples and bits of sellotape and foil to reveal...yes folks! The Staff of Law - and also, the desecrated remains of your ex-Christmas Tree.

This do-it-yourself handy tip was brought to you by VAIN & LAZY SHORTCUTS LTD.

:wink: MERRY CHRISTMAS
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

LOL. that sounds much better than dragging the thing down to the creek behind the house.

BTW, nice avatar! :)

soft one
Ramen

Post by soft one »

Look... here's how he got it.

Christmas was over, and Berek was sitting with his parents looking at all the stuff he had received. His brother was asleep on the floor. The Old Man asked him if he got everything he wanted for Christmas. Berek shrugged his shoulders and said, "I guess."

The Old Man suddenly looked up and said, "What's that?" Berek asked, "Where?" "Right there, in the corner... it looks like the Creator put another present there.

Berek got up and slowly pulled an oddly shaped present from behind the desk. He gingerly opened it... it was what he always wanted! A branch from the One Tree!

The Old Man looked at Berek's mom and said, "I had one when I was 8 years old." Berek turned and asked his mom, "Can I make a Staff of Law from it?" Mom said, "Oh, alright. Just use it outside and DON'T SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT!"
Covenant turned in time to see a short figure detach itself from the burning mud, step queasily onto the hard ground.

The figure was scarcely taller than the skest, and shaped like them, a misborn child without eyes or any other features. But it was made of mud. Flames flickered over it as it climbed from the fire, then died away, leaving a dull brown creature like a sculpture poorly wrought in clay. Reddish pockets embedded in its form glowed dully.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

:D

Wasn't that right after Berek had to wear the cute wanyhim pajamas, the ones with the gaping nostrils on the feet?
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

Relayer wrote:BTW, nice avatar! :)
I like the Olias of Sunhillow emblem but I'm not to keen on it as an avatar.
So it's back to the previous one for the time being!

BTW, maybe the post I did should have made in a lomillialor thread...ah, what the hey!
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Yea, it's a great symbol. Of course, being Relayer I'm somewhat biased ;-)

Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

soft one wrote:Look... here's how he got it.

Christmas was over, and Berek was sitting with his parents looking at all the stuff he had received. His brother was asleep on the floor. The Old Man asked him if he got everything he wanted for Christmas. Berek shrugged his shoulders and said, "I guess."

The Old Man suddenly looked up and said, "What's that?" Berek asked, "Where?" "Right there, in the corner... it looks like the Creator put another present there.

Berek got up and slowly pulled an oddly shaped present from behind the desk. He gingerly opened it... it was what he always wanted! A branch from the One Tree!

The Old Man looked at Berek's mom and said, "I had one when I was 8 years old." Berek turned and asked his mom, "Can I make a Staff of Law from it?" Mom said, "Oh, alright. Just use it outside and DON'T SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT!"

Very nice... LOL!!!! :LOLS:
wayfriend wrote::D

Wasn't that right after Berek had to wear the cute wanyhim pajamas, the ones with the gaping nostrils on the feet?

OK... now my side is hurting... :LOLS:
jackgiantkiller
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by jackgiantkiller »

Spoiler
[spoilerThere was a guardian to the one tree when Berek approched it! Im sure the insequent who accompnies berek is stated as defeating a Elhomin who guarded the tree, or have I got that mixed up with somthing I made up in my own headspoiler]
Thorhammerhand
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Thorhammerhand »

Spoiler
Yes, there was a guardian. No, you did not make it up. Yes, SRD acknowledged that he made a mistake in his writing (Gradual Interview Feb 2008)
If we all follow Berek's code of warriors then the world would be full of the worst warriors imaginable.
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Was there a guardian posted?
I feel like the first thread I started here was on this exact subject...

And how the hell did Berek manage to get to the Isle in the first place, when Damelon was the first Lord to meet the Giants? (and they were lost anyway)
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

balon! wrote:
And how the hell did Berek manage to get to the Isle in the first place, when Damelon was the first Lord to meet the Giants? (and they were lost anyway)
Other races built boats besides Giants.

But it was hinted by Findail (I think) that the One Tree is not always in the same place.
At the Time of Berek it might have been Land-bound, perhaps in the Northern or Southern Climbs?
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:Other races built boats besides Giants.

But it was hinted by Findail (I think) that the One Tree is not always in the same place.
At the Time of Berek it might have been Land-bound, perhaps in the Northern or Southern Climbs?
Interesting idea...
Being in the Land would explain the lack of Giantish aid.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

It's possible this information about Berek's quest is in there somewhere, rooted in paradox and symbolism, but I like to think it's always been kept out of the Chronicles deliberately and that one day Stephen Donaldson might publish this as a standalone book - The Legend of Berek Halfhand.

And maybe even as part of another tril with the Bagoon and Thelma story.

Isn't it great when you first seen a brand new SRD book in the bookshop

And of course, Linden Avery would have to play a part - :roll: - (i've been feeling a bit THOOLAHy this week)

EDIT: I was thinking about how Berek's story is similair to Troy's. Both were chased near to death. Wildwood could play a part in both tales.

Pity the tapestry in the Tower didn't reveal more info.

Covenant was forced to summon the Fire Lions as Berek had.
If the Fire Lions responded only to the Staff of Law, did Berek have it when he tapped into the Earthpower?

Which would lead back to Wildwood and the One Tree.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”