The First Staff of Law

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Spirit of the Knight
Servant of the Land

The First Staff of Law

Post by Spirit of the Knight »

Hi all. Back after a week or do moving house.

I am currently re-reading The One Tree. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how Berek was able to secure a branch off The One Tree when TC could not. When TC asked Findail about it, he replied that it was 'not won by combat', nor was there a guardian at the time. I don't want to say too much for the people who have not read FR yet but the question still remains.

Cheers
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

TC couldn't because White Gold would have woken up the WoTWE. Berek didn't have white gold and there was no guardian. So for him it was find that tree, get there, cut off a branch and
Bob's your uncle ... he had the SoL.
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Vader wrote:TC couldn't because White Gold would have woken up the WoTWE. Berek didn't have white gold and there was no guardian. So for him it was find that tree, get there, cut off a branch and
Bob's your uncle ... he had the SoL.
I'm thinking this about sums it up :lol:
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

And then there is Findail's answer, when this very question was asked of him.
In [u]White Gold Weilder[/u] was wrote:[Covenant asks] "We couldn't get a branch of the One Tree. There was no way. But it's been done before. How did Berek do it?"

Findail paused at the wall, answered over his shoulder. "The Worm was not made restive by his approach, for he did not win his way with combat.
SGuilfoyle1966
Giantfriend

Re: The First Staff of Law

Post by SGuilfoyle1966 »

Spirit of the Knight wrote:Hi all. Back after a week or do moving house.

I am currently re-reading The One Tree. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how Berek was able to secure a branch off The One Tree when TC could not. When TC asked Findail about it, he replied that it was 'not won by combat', nor was there a guardian at the time. I don't want to say too much for the people who have not read FR yet but the question still remains.

Cheers

UPS delivers EVERYWHERE.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
I think you like me because I'm a scoundrel.
Irishman and Gamecock fan
SGuilfoyle1966
Giantfriend

Post by SGuilfoyle1966 »

Seriously, Berek got the WOOD, but he didn't get the STAFF.
Had to have made the staff.
Also, he certainly cut the staff off, because Covenant observes a long shaft that look as if it had been cut once before, does he not?

I am amazed, by the way, for you people who can C&P passages so easily.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

SGuilfoyle1966 wrote:I am amazed, by the way, for you people who can C&P passages so easily.
Some of us do not have e-versions of the Chrons and have to rekey any passages we quote.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Does anyone find it interesting that someone who must've had a very strong healthsense would actually *cut* a branch off the Tree? (To anyone living in the time of the First Chrons, that would have been the same as cutting someone's arm off.)

What power could he have used that would not have violated the Tree?
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

SGuilfoyle1966 wrote:Seriously, Berek got the WOOD, but he didn't get the STAFF.
Had to have made the staff.
Also, he certainly cut the staff off, because Covenant observes a long shaft that look as if it had been cut once before, does he not?
I always thought that the Lomilliar (sp?) rods or pieces of High Wood were in fact the branches that were cut from the bough Berek cut from the One Tree.
But because they lacked the size and runes of the Staff they lacked the Staff's potential or power.

SGuilfoyle1966 wrote:I am amazed, by the way, for you people who can C&P passages so easily.
We are thieves actually.
We rationalize or forgive our theft by claiming that we have the actual physical copies of the books and only illegally acquired the online text versions for the ease of passage searching and copying and pasting on forums like this.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:We are thieves actually.
Well, maybe you are.

I memorized the entire series. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.
Relayer wrote:Does anyone find it interesting that someone who must've had a very strong healthsense would actually *cut* a branch off the Tree? (To anyone living in the time of the First Chrons, that would have been the same as cutting someone's arm off.)

I think *only* a person with health-sense could have done it. They would be able to see exactly where and how the task needed to be done. (As health-sense helped Linden see exactly how to reset broken bones, where to put pressure to stop internal bleeding, etc.)

And is it actually harming a Tree to take one branch? Some trees are healthier if they are kept pruned. If you think of it more as "harvesting" rather than "maiming", I think it's not out of line with the spirit of the old Lords.

Besides, the Creator "guided" Berek in the creation of the Staff. Whatever that means, it certainly means the effort has the Creator's support.
Loresraat
Stonedownor

Post by Loresraat »

And is it actually harming a Tree to take one branch? Some trees are healthier if they are kept pruned. If you think of it more as "harvesting" rather than "maiming", I think it's not out of line with the spirit of the old Lords.
A good point. Plus, if it's the One Tree, could it not be vaguely sentient? Maybe Berek simply asked it for a branch. That would add some meaning to his taking the wood "without conflict".
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

Berek could have plied it with liquor and promises of cuddling afterwards.
:roll:
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

DukkhaWaynhim wrote:Berek could have plied it with liquor and promises of cuddling afterwards.
:roll:
Always worked on me.
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

DukkhaWaynhim wrote:Berek could have plied it with liquor and promises of cuddling afterwards.
... and jokes about Berek's high wood ensued...
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

wayfriend wrote:I memorized the entire series. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.
AND the Gradual Interview! ;-)
wayfriend wrote:
Relayer wrote:Does anyone find it interesting that someone who must've had a very strong healthsense would actually *cut* a branch off the Tree? (To anyone living in the time of the First Chrons, that would have been the same as cutting someone's arm off.)

I think *only* a person with health-sense could have done it. They would be able to see exactly where and how the task needed to be done. (As health-sense helped Linden see exactly how to reset broken bones, where to put pressure to stop internal bleeding, etc.)

Besides, the Creator "guided" Berek in the creation of the Staff. Whatever that means, it certainly means the effort has the Creator's support.
Good points about pruning. Except that, 6000 years later, the Tree apparently looks exactly the same in that spot where the branch was removed. (I'm not a gardener and have no idea what it should look like).

As to the Creator's guidance,
Spoiler
should we assume that the Creator also guided the Theomach? (or that the Creator IS the Theomach? ;-) )

Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:We are thieves actually.
wayfriend wrote:Well, maybe you are. I memorized the entire series. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

I have two complete sets of TC books..the sweet covers and the newer Fabio Foamfollower versions. I have an eidetic memory so I just pull it from the junk-bins of my mind Labled TCTC do not delete...

I wondered that also... the earth power must have coaxed the tree into dropping a branch for Berek as part of their arrangement, then gave Berek the sacred words of earthpower, alakazam alakazaw, turn this wood into a staff of law. :ct07:
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

I believe you've discovered the Eighth Word! :)

SGuilfoyle1966
Giantfriend

Post by SGuilfoyle1966 »

Relayer wrote:As to the Creator's guidance,
Spoiler
should we assume that the Creator also guided the Theomach? (or that the Creator IS the Theomach? ;-) )
As to the
Spoiler
Theomach
and the Creator, a Creator is
Spoiler
God
and
Spoiler
Theo
is the Greek root for
Spoiler
God
SGuilfoyle1966
Giantfriend

Post by SGuilfoyle1966 »

Never used the spoiler tags ever before. Ever.
Fun.
I could get to liking that.
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

SGuilfoyle1966 wrote:
Relayer wrote:As to the Creator's guidance,
Spoiler
As to the
Spoiler
Theomach
and the Creator, a Creator is
Spoiler
God
and
Spoiler
Theo
is the Greek root for
Spoiler
God
And more:
Spoiler
"mach" is similar to German "machen" (to make). Theomach could be "the making God" = CREATOR.
But still:
Spoiler
I don't really believe the Theomach is the Creator.
But yes:
Spoiler
Spoiler tags are fun.
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”