Atheism

Archive From The 'Tank
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:I think the person who wrote the article Ananda cited went out of their way to find one or two people who had personal anecdotes of situations which are outside the norm. That doesn't constitute a general trend, though.
Hashi,

The article was quoting people who are making a tv program and speaking at an atheist gathering thing, I think. The reporter did not seem to have to go out of his or her way since talking about their experiences was the point of the show/gathering.

You guys keep saying things about standing on a street corner wearing a sign, but the main concern, I think, was family reactions.

How would religious people here feel if their children or spouse said they were atheist (or some other religion) one day?

How about atheist and agnostic people? What would they think if their kid or spouse came home one day and said they converted to some religion?
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Ananda wrote:Hashi,

The article was quoting people who are making a tv program and speaking at an atheist gathering thing, I think. The reporter did not seem to have to go out of his or her way since talking about their experiences was the point of the show/gathering.

You guys keep saying things about standing on a street corner wearing a sign, but the main concern, I think, was family reactions.

How would religious people here feel if their children or spouse said they were atheist (or some other religion) one day?

How about atheist and agnostic people? What would they think if their kid or spouse came home one day and said they converted to some religion?
Why would atheists need to come together and share their experiences? Maybe I am being a little too cynical here but that seems like an awfully touchy-feely things to have to do. I think part of my inability to comprehend their need to congregate (yes, I chose that word on purpose) is because I don't give a rat's arse what my family thinks. If they don't like my decisions then they don't have to like them; I haven't had to seek familial approval for how I live my life since I went to college.

If one of our kids comes to us later in life and says "I am an atheist" I am going to look at them and reply "so?".

Far too many people care what others think, even when those others are family members.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:Why would atheists need to come together and share their experiences? Maybe I am being a little too cynical here but that seems like an awfully touchy-feely things to have to do.
Apparently some humanists and freethinkers do feel the need to congregate. www.ethicalsociety.org/

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Ananda,
Ananda wrote:
Hashi Lebwohl wrote:I think the person who wrote the article Ananda cited went out of their way to find one or two people who had personal anecdotes of situations which are outside the norm. That doesn't constitute a general trend, though.
Hashi,

I'd say it was their call. I believe religious faith is a very personal thing. It cannot and must not be coerced from people. As such if someone chooses not to believe in God I may disagree with their assesment but I cannot try to strongarm them into a different belief. They'll come to it on their own or they will not. It's up to them and to God.

At least that's my take.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

My son came to me one day (about age 14 and said. I'm an atheist....

We talked about theology and science and his reasons for a few hours here and there over the next year or so. Just honest debate... I didnt have all the answers he was looking for, but I gave him what I knew and what I believe. I openly listened to his opinions on the subject. He was still required to get up on Sunday and go to Church with us, since he is a minor living in my household. However no undo pressure was put on him to recant. We didn't circle the Church up around him and have an exorcism. We didn't even tell the Church. He eventually started going to a different Church than my wife and I, that had a youth group that he felt comfortable with and found his way back to God on his own. By his 18th birthday he was baptized.

As SS said, it cannot be coerced. Its a personal decision.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:Why would atheists need to come together and share their experiences? Maybe I am being a little too cynical here but that seems like an awfully touchy-feely things to have to do.
I have no idea! I am not part of their group. :P I thought the whole 'coming out' thing was absurd.

On the other hand, people like to be part of a group. They like to be around people who share a certain mindset with them. I guess it extends to that, too. At least for some. In any large category of people, there are those who want that reinforcement from the 'group' and then there are those who don't. I suppose these people are the ones who need that for whatever reason.

I used to go to a temple a lot in my 30s. Was a hindu thing. I loved the singing and dancing and the vegetarian dinner was always great. I didn't join them as a true member, though. I just enjoyed the atmosphere and the talks they had sometimes were quite nice. They would get some really interesting guest speakers sometimes, too.
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And as fast as they can
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I'd be horribly disappointed if any child of mine became religious. ;) Luckily I don't have any.

Good response SB, except for forcing him to carry on going to church. :D

Raised a Catholic, I was nearly 16 when I realised I was an atheist. Haven't set foot inside a church except for weddings and funerals ever since.

It didn't cause me any family problems. :D My mother took it pretty philosophically, and none of the remaining family cared. Half of them were probably atheists anyway.

--A
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I've never had any problem from anyone about my atheism. I've had a couple people who pray for me. Very nice people who meant it in the best possible way.

Also, I never had an ounce of peer pressure to do anything I didn't want to do. Walking with friends with a joint, they'd say, "Want some?" "No thanks." "Ok."

I just happen to live in a good area, I guess.

I posted somewhere here a year or two ago about my, then, 9-ish year old daughter wanting to go to church. She never really explained why she wanted to. Maybe she couldn't put her feelings into words at that point. She was friends with a boy in her class, whose sister was friends with my other daughter, and she was going to go with their family. She got all dressed up pretty. My mother asked me to get her a cross necklace. I was extremely proud of her, for having come to this decision on her own, and for having been matter-of-fact about telling us she wanted to do it. (My ex/her mother's religious beliefs seem to be centered on Sylvia Brown. Lots of her books in the house.) She only went a couple times. She said she didn't want to go anymore, because she wanted to go with her family. I told her I would be glad to take her if she wanted to (The things we do for our kids!!!), or she could go with my brother's family (He was an ordained pastor, and they're all very religious.). But maybe she was too bored the couple times she went with her friend, and declined.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Ananda

I saw this gentlemen, Seth Andrews speak a few years ago. He is a former Christian broadcaster that left the faith. His podcasts are very good. His book isn't bad but you can really feel his anger during the second half. He speaks fairly well about the difficulties of becoming an atheist in the south.

www.amazon.com/Deconverted-A-Journey-Re ... roduct_top

Post by Avatar »

Anger is often a big thing with atheists. :D In the end they get over it usually, or they turn into Dawkins. :D Never really seen the point.

In my youth I was a passionate debater on the subject, but eventually I realised it was a waste of time and that people should be free to believe what they want if it helps them in some way.

So I gave it up. :D

--A
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

Avatar wrote:Anger is often a big thing with atheists. :D In the end they get over it usually, or they turn into Dawkins. :D Never really seen the point.
Yeah, why the anger? I wonder what motivates it?
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And as fast as they can
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Angry atheists are just as evangelical as the fundie Christians and Muslims. It's so cute that they get angrier when you point that out.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Cail,

Most atheists aren't that angry or evangelical. Most simply don't believe in God or gods. More power to them.

The one's who frustrate me are the ones who accuse parents of child abuse for taking their children to church with them. For example:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-231281 ... essor.html

Now to be fair he claims that taking your child to church and not teaching the child to question is abuse but still he is claiming he knows how parents should raise their children.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Angry atheists amuse me. On one hand they will be very clear that to believe in God is to believe in flying Unicorns. Same thing. But they spend alot of time stressing over my belief in a diety while at the same time ignoring people believing Santa Claus, the tooth fairy or the Easter Bunny. Is there some reason they feel like the HAVE to prove 'believers' wrong?
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

Yes, it helps them in their belief.
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Avatar wrote: So I gave it up. :D

--A
I think you meant to say "I attained a modicum of wisdom".

It has always been a source of amusement to me that the atheists who like to challenge believers any chance they get or who go to great lengths to *prove* that God doesn't exist spend an awful lot of time thinking about God. If He doesn't exist to you then why think about Him at all?
The Tank is gone and now so am I.

Post by Avatar »

Exactly. :D
SerScot wrote:Most atheists aren't that angry or evangelical. Most simply don't believe in God or gods. More power to them.
As with religionists, it's the vocal minority that gets the press.
SoulBiter wrote:...But they spend alot of time stressing over my belief in a diety...is there some reason they feel like the HAVE to prove 'believers' wrong?
Same reason some people of faith feel the need to try and convert people, or talk about their faith all the time. They think they're saving them from themselves. :D
Cail wrote:Angry atheists are just as evangelical as the fundie Christians and Muslims. It's so cute that they get angrier when you point that out.
:D Agreed.

--A
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

"Theist" works better than "religionist".
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

SoulBiter wrote:...But they spend alot of time stressing over my belief in a diety...is there some reason they feel like the HAVE to prove 'believers' wrong?
Same reason some people of faith feel the need to try and convert people, or talk about their faith all the time. They think they're saving them from themselves. :D
Actually its quite different. The believer is trying to save the atheist from going to Hell in the afterlife. Since the atheist doesn't believe in God, they probably don't believe in Hell, so they aren't saving the believer from anything. Except possibly having something larger than they are to believe in. Could be misery loves company
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Soulbiter,

How is the hard press from an evangelical Christian really saving someone? If the person they "convert" converts out of fear is their belief genuine enough to be true belief?

This is why I get really frustrated with aggressive evangalism from anyone about anything. People need to get to it on their own or they really didn't get to it at all.

Return to “Coercri”