Star Wars - The Force Awakens

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Well, The Spice Girls sold a lot of records too. That didn't make them any good.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Don't get me wrong... very few of the original Star Trek movies could be considered "good movies"... but the ones that were had more then "outgun whatever threat" there is. The Enterprise is a research vessel, not a warship. As a result, it should try to avoid conflict when possible and use tactics when it is forced defend itself.

It isn't a space ship that is meant to go after squadrons of TIE fighters.

There is really none of that thought in the new Star Trek films (or the bad old ones like Nemesis) and certainly none of the sacrifice. Spock at least stayed dead until the sequel.

Could the original be improved upon? Of course it could (particularly with the fisticuffs)... but something that is missing now and is a necessary core characteristic of Star Trek is the idea of scientific progress and exploration with the awe that brings (Insurrection dropped the ball big time on this idea). Abrams just never seemed to understand this.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Orlion wrote:Don't get me wrong... very few of the original Star Trek movies could be considered "good movies"... but the ones that were had more then "outgun whatever threat" there is. The Enterprise is a research vessel, not a warship. As a result, it should try to avoid conflict when possible and use tactics when it is forced defend itself.
What? Starfleet was the Federation's military. The Enterprise was the flagship of this military fleet. Yes, they did research. For the military. As far as we could tell from the TV show, they had precisely one scientist on board. It wasn't a research vessel. It was a warship on an exploration mission.
but something that is missing now and is a necessary core characteristic of Star Trek is the idea of scientific progress and exploration with the awe that brings (Insurrection dropped the ball big time on this idea). Abrams just never seemed to understand this.
There were only two movies that dealt explicitly with scientific progress/exploration as a theme, ST: The Motion Picture and ST: First Contact. The former sucked, the latter was awesome. All the other movies were character-driven action flicks, and one goofy time travel environmental propaganda piece. :) (j/k I like the whale movie.)

Almost every Trek had some kind of villain + space battle. The show was more about science, but the movies were more about character.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

They certainly had more than one scientist on TOS. We saw: geologist; archaeologist/anthropologist; historian; an engineer, if I'm not mistaken; possibly a doctor; and others will probably come to mind.

It's difficult to reconcile the Enterprise being the flagship of the Federation's military with it being, as Kirk said, a vessel of exploration.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Zarathustra wrote:
Orlion wrote:Don't get me wrong... very few of the original Star Trek movies could be considered "good movies"... but the ones that were had more then "outgun whatever threat" there is. The Enterprise is a research vessel, not a warship. As a result, it should try to avoid conflict when possible and use tactics when it is forced defend itself.
What? Starfleet was the Federation's military. The Enterprise was the flagship of this military fleet. Yes, they did research. For the military. As far as we could tell from the TV show, they had precisely one scientist on board. It wasn't a research vessel. It was a warship on an exploration mission.
Hmmm, I seem to have been mistaken, since there were other actual research vessels.

The Enterprise (at least originally) I think would be more of a scouting vessel. There were other designs designed more specifically for combat. I mean, how often was it used for military purposes merely because "it was the closest/we have nothing else/our regular military ships were destroyed by one Borg cube"....

Come to think of it, maybe Starfleet just sucked at designing military vessels :lol:
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

I would also like to add that I would LOVE for them to come out with a movie from that original timeline of the Original series that was more true to what made the original series special. I just don't think its possible in a two hour movie to get the Character development off the ground in a meaningful way.

I also had high hopes that 'Enterprise' the series would have been that, but it was too easy most of the time, and like Sorus said, they were too advanced for the time period they were supposed to be portraying.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

They shouldn't need to do a ton of character development on characters that have been around for almost fifty years. Just give them more depth, more charisma, more whatever. That should be possible in a movie.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Zarathustra wrote:I love what Abrams did with ST. I thought most everyone agreed.

This looks freakin cool. I love the retro SW look.
Same here. I love the new Star Treks. I think the casting is inspired.

I'm totally pumped to see the new SW but my only criticism is that Han is still wearing the same clothing and wearing his hair the same way. C'mon, decades have passed. I'm sure he's been able to get a new outfit and a haircut since then!
The King has one more move.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

He's a guy, caam. I've had the same haircut for thirty years. :lol: And we can't all look really hot in homemade clothes.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

It looked like Chewy had the same hair style, too. Lame. :roll: :lol:
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

:lol:
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

LOL!!!
You guys know what I mean. It's kind of like the 3rd Chrons - no one changed after 2,000. I'm not even close to the same person I was 30 years ago. Now I'm almost expecting the donuts on Leia's hair!
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

caamora wrote:LOL!!!
You guys know what I mean.
:lol: Honestly, I do know what you mean. It was comforting to see them look familiar, but still a little weird.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Doesn't Han day, "We're home."? Maybe they were in an Odyssey situation.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Fist and Faith wrote:Doesn't Han day, "We're home."? Maybe they were in an Odyssey situation.
Not a bad assessment.
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

All I can say is: Hans Solo!!!!

Good, bad or indifferent, I will be seeing this movie.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Make sure to check out the latest trailer. We get some more action, more shots of some of the main characters, and a little blurb as to the main bad guy's evil scheme.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I'll be there opening weekend, but again, I don't expect a whole lot. I just hope to see Solo say, "Get. Off. My. LAWN!"
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Cail wrote:I'll be there opening weekend, but again, I don't expect a whole lot.
And me.

--A
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

And me, assuming I can find a ticket. Apparently, millions of tickets for opening weekend have already been sold.

I'm underwhelmed by the latest trailer.

Return to “Flicks”