Donaldson Mailing List

Main forum for site announcements, suggestions, and help.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Vain

kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

I did get that e-mail. I must be on the list then. :biggrin:

And yes, I already preordered it on my Nook. Looking forward to reading a SRD book at the same time as everyone else for once!

-jay
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

I didn't put my name down but somehow my name ended up on the list! Spamming b**tards...unless I was drunk when I added my name. This is possible! Anyway, it was a bit of an anticlimax (the email) and you'd think we'd get one today saying OUT NOW but I haven't.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, I don't think much of their email marketing division. :lol:

--A
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

More e-mail list news.
StephenRDonaldson.com News wrote:the SRD news email list: how to unsubscribe

I was surprised and dismayed to learn that Putnam's email "blast" announcing THE KING'S JUSTICE has drawn some negative reactions. I thought I had compiled my list of email addresses in good faith. Apparently I was wrong. So I want to emphasize two points.

First, Putnam--and by extension, Ace--will NOT be making any further use of my list to promote my books. Last week's "blast" was the one and only.

Second, unsubscribing from the list *I* hope to use is easy. Simply email UNSUBSCRIBE to NMJen11@yahoo.com. I'll repeat this information if/when I do send out any news; but you can spare yourselves even that intrusion by unsubscribing early and often.

10/13/15
First: Who complained?! It was one e-mail. Yeesh.

Second: Seareach, it was one e-mail. Yeesh. :)

Third: there won't be any more e-mails, so no Out-Now Buy-It-Today.
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Personally, I never understood people's revulsion towards spam. (Not directed at you, Sea, but the people who apparently complained to Putnam.) Especially in this day in age where we get so much spam and how now-a-days we have pretty decent spam blockers in most e-mail systems. With Google's Gmail, I hardly ever see spam.

I takes far less energy to simply hit "delete" then to send an angry e-mail to Putnam or SRD.

Oh well.

-jay
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Yeah, Gmail seems pretty good at blocking spam. Also, I never see spam because I never check my email.

I should probably sign up for the list, but see 'never check my email'.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

It was tongue in cheek! Hence the comment about me being drunk! If someone dobbed me in then that's their problem, not mine. If SRD happened to see this...well I've probably f**ked up. However, my life is too short so I'll sort it out.... :-)

update: For the record, this has nothing to do with what I've said, so you can now stop pointing the finger, Wayfriend. :)
kevinswatch
"High" Lord

Post by kevinswatch »

All your fault, Sea. ;)

-jay

Post by Avatar »

Pfft, a few complaints is nothing, statistically speaking. Somebody is always gonna complain.

Email marketing guys, it's a skill. :D

--A
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

kevinswatch wrote:All your fault, Sea. ;)
That's right! Because it's all about ME! :biggrin: ;)
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

I was pleasantly surprised to get the e-mail, owing to the fact I'm a selfish wench who only visits certain areas of the Watch and apparently doesn't give a rip about goings-on outside my teeny weeny circle. :roll:

I do need to get out more.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener

Post by Avatar »

Yes Deer, yes you do. ;)

--A
kevinswatch
"High" Lord

Post by kevinswatch »

I should sign up for the mailing list.

I'll do it later. ;)

I'm still a little bitter they didn't add me the first time I e-mailed them. :twisted:

-jay

Post by Avatar »

Maybe they purged you in the panic of receiving complaints. ;)

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

It wouldn't hurt if I finally got around to getting on that e-mail list, really.

Post by Avatar »

Well, it's not like they bombard you. I've had exactly one mail from it so far. :D (Excluding the original publishers (terrible) one.)

--A
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Received an email today from the SRD mailing list - a trilogy eh? :D

I tried to paste the email text into here, but kept getting some sort of error... hopefully someone else has more luck.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

I got it too! Much excitement :D
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

<stredo11@gmail.com> wrote:Stephen R. Donaldson
March 2016 News

Well, I did say I wasn't going to inundate you with news.... This is what we might call a non-progress/progress report.

Naturally, the subject that matters most to me is my current writing project. For past 14 months, I've struggling with a story called "Seventh Decimate" (the Short Novel Formerly Known As "Meltman's SEVENTH DECIMATE"). I'm now working on my 4th (!) version. (Incidentally, this is the most rewriting I've done since "The Real Story.") During the course of the two previous revisions, two things become clear to me. First, the story simply didn't work. There are a number of reasons for this; but the primarily one-at least from my perspective-is that I did a poor job of communicating why the protagonist holds my interest. Curiously, this is the same problem I had with the early drafts of "Lord Foul's Bane." Second, the story isn't done: its climax feels unfinished because there are so many things that really ought to happen next. So, if I can ever wrestle this book into shape, it will become the first installment in (wait for it) a trilogy. (I don't know whether to laugh or cry.) In keeping with the fact that my first title ("Meltman's etc.") didn't meet with any approval, I've come up with more titles that also won't meet with approval. For my own use, I call the trilogy "The Library War." The second book I think of "The Intersection of Knowledge and Evil," while the third is "Gift of the Ungifted." Assuming I succeed with "Seventh Decimate," you can expect all of those titles to change.

Meanwhile, "The King's Justice: Two Novellas" is still available in hardcover. The paperback isn't scheduled until September. From my point of view, that's good news. It means there's still a market for the hardcover.

In my last news report, I mentioned working on a film treatment for "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant." Since then, nothing of substance has happened. In fact, all I can tell you for sure is that the Hollywood agent responsible for the project has stopped asking for changes in my treatment. On this basis, I assume two things. First, what I've written is acceptable. Second, so far my treatment has not attracted any interest. If either the Hollywood agent or my literary agent had any interesting news, they wouldn't hesitate to tell me.

Final note: as always, I'm eager to include anyone who wants to be added to this mailing list; and I'm happy to unsubscribe anyone who doesn't want to be included. Just contact: NMJen11@yahoo.com.

--Steve

Last edited by wayfriend on Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Avatar »

Hmmm, a new trilogy. :D

(StevieG - an update to the server prevents us from posting anything with extended ascii characters, damn it.)

--A

Return to “Announcements + Suggestions + Q&A + Help”