Who are you, What do you do..

Hey Newbies, over here first ;) Come on in and tell us more about yourself. IMPORTANT: For new members, please read "New Members Only" BEFORE registering.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Menolly

Jemmy Bloocher
Servant of the Land

Post by Jemmy Bloocher »

I am a nearly PhD student (September). Late twenties, very interested in travel, politics, cultural identity and sci-fi, oh and music, amongst a whole host of other things.
I just might die with a smile on my face after all.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I've done this a few time elsewhere but what the heck...
I'm Thomas Allen Cummins. I've lived in Tampa, Florida, USA my whole life. I'm 39 and I'm married with one child who is a Kevin's Watch member (ProRider514). I am a computer draftsman for a Civil Engineering/Land Surveying company. I am a musician. I like to write fiction. I dabble in art/cartooning. I love pc based video games. I do computer assembly & repair for just about everyone I know and as you can see from my post count I spend a lot of time goofing off on the Watch. I spend too much time watching Star Trek and I have read all of Donaldson's fantasy/sci fi work. :D
Oh, yeah. My alter ego is "ANGRY MAN" after the Hulk's code name in the movie.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Tranquil Hegemony
Woodhelvennin

Post by Tranquil Hegemony »

The Leper Fairy wrote:Hiya :) I'm Claire... I'm just a youngun :P I'm 16 so that means I'm a sophomore at a little high school in middle of Montana.
Cool, I'm in Montana too, over in Missoula.

I'm 28 and I just started up a web hosting company... so if any of you need a place to put your website, check out www.telana.com/ This is the right thread for shameless self-promotion, right? ;)
Conformity of purpose will be achieved through mutual satisfaction of requirements.
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Gunslinger wrote:I live in a small town in WI...yes, the WI you all have heard about where we all wear wedges of cheese upon our heads (sense any sarcasm?).
Hmmmm....Explains alot. ;)
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Krillbearer
Servant of the Land

Post by Krillbearer »

Real newbie here (less than an hour).

Work as an assistant manager in a C-store. Work part time for fun at a comic and game shop - one day a week to pay for my addictions.. excuse me, my hobbies.
Live in Ogden Utah
Married for 15 years, and love every minute of it.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Welcome, Krillbearer. I have family in Ogden (Eureka/Tintic, Tooele, Provo, Orem, etc.). Was just there not too long ago for a reunion.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Variol Farseer
Bloodguard

Post by Variol Farseer »

Wotthehey. For those of you who didn't hear me blab at Elohimfest, I'm 37; I live in Calgary, Alberta; and I am at present at the same stage of my literary career that SRD was at circa 1975, living on boiled shoestrings whilst racking up the rejections. (I sincerely hope I don't make it to 47, because nowadays publishers work so slowly that the 47th rejection would have to come some time in the 22nd century.)

My stuff ranges from humorous fantasy (I am nonplussed when my friends liken me to Terry Pratchett, whom I've never read to any extent) to rather SRDish epic stuff. There's a brief snippet in the Hall of Gifts under the thread 'Lord Talon's Revenge', which far too few people have read. :wink:

A sample
is available.

Our own Duchess of Malfi took a hardcopy of the manuscript off my hands at Elohimfest, and has of course broken my heart by not commenting on it since. (Excuse these tears) :cry:

At present I am cutting The Eye of the Maker, volume 1 of my magnificent octopus, to publisher's orders. I'm also fiddling with early drafts of a daft book called Murphy's Widow, about the secret corporate masters who own Murphy's Law. (Every time something goes wrong, they get a nickel. This is the second most profitable business in the universe, right after Epimetheus Providence, the company that holds the patent rights on malicious stupidity.)

As Douglas Adams used to say about himself, I am not married, have no children, and do not live in Surrey.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Ah, Variol...someday those of us at Elohimfest will all be able to proudly proclaim
I knew him before he became a famous writer.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hang in there. Your work is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love as thou wilt.

Bucky OHare
Giantfriend

Post by Bucky OHare »

Hi, thought best to introduce myself too.

My cover identity is that I'm mid twenties, live in Berkshire (UK), work for a bank. *Yawn*.

In reality I'm reconnoitreing Earth for an invasion by Space Mutants from Mars. I'm 503 Earth Years old. I enjoy travelling but my real name is unprouncable with your feeble human larynxs. :drevil:
Image The Artist Formerly Known as Dr Evil. :drevil:
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I may as well do my bit. I'm 24, live in the UK and currently live in the city of Sheffield in South Yorkshire, famous for unemployment and strippers. I grew up in a town famous for making pork pies, situated between Nottingham and Leicester, but I originate from further afield. Much further afield.

I'm currently filling time working in a call centre until I start my PhD at the Hallam University in September. I'm a keen fencer and I'm hoping to recover fully from injury to make my comback at the Leicester Open in September.

I discovered SRD a few years back when a friend recommended the Gap series to me. I'm now in the process of reading Mordant's Need and Reave the Just, which I hope can I finish before the Runes of the Earth is published.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
ShawnPatrick
Servant of the Land

Post by ShawnPatrick »

MR. NICE
SHAWN PATRICK FATHER.
IVE BEEN READING SCIFI AND FANTSAY FOR 34 YEARS
I MUST SAY STEVEN R DONALDSON IS ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVS, ALONG WITH ORSON SCOTT CARD,
CLIVE BARKER, THE DAMNATION GAME .
MORGAN LIYWENN -LION OF IRELAND AND -DRUIDES
TO NAME A FEW.
I ALSO LOVE ANNE RICE ,
TOO NAME A FEW
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Nice to meet you, Shawn...but stop shouting :P
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

It's not Shawn, Cj, it's his dad. And he has stopped shouting, just in another forum. :D

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I took it to be "Shawn Patrick: father" rather than "Shawn Patrick's father" :? :roll:
judith
Servant of the Land

Post by judith »

Hi everyone

Im from New Zealand... down under... the bottom of the world...but married an American last year and am now living in southern Illinois. Im a chef currantly working in an old folks home... and finding that I quite like working with old people. You could say that I have been transported to a 'LAND' and am finding my way slowly around the people, the places... and (yes its very sad) the FOOD :? Thomas Covenant came into my life when I was 15 (Im about to turn 35 any minute :cry: ) and has had pride of place in my book case ever since. Dont know who I would be without him... and frankly... dont want to know.

so thats me :D
Gart
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Gart »

Hello all,

I guess I should introduce myself too. So here we go:

My name's Dave.

I'm thirty-**mumble**. Sorry, that was thirty-**cough**. Okay, let's just leave that at "mid-thirties".

I live in sunny Basingstoke, the roundabout capitol of the UK. It's actually not a bad place to live, just a bit dull. When I was first here I asked one of my new workmates where people went for a night out in this town; he looked thoughtful for a moment and said "Southampton, mostly". :D

I've spent most of my career working in brewing, but I moved out of it a couple of years ago and now I'm an instrument service engineer for pharmaceutical and food laboratories. :borg:

I discovered the Land at secondary school, when a games-playing friend lent me LFB. I've been hooked ever since.

When I'm not working (read:surfing on work time) I play a bit of badminton, write very bad fiction, and try to extend my knowledge of brewing by drinking much real ale.
...but in the morning, I will be sober
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

NEW ZEALAND! YAY! :S

Sum sui generis
Vs

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
judith
Servant of the Land

Post by judith »

Hail... variol son and fellow kiwi... glad to see another kiwi here. I dont see many others though? I know I defected to the USA, but Im still a kiwi girl at heart :wink:

judith
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Where abouts in NZ were you from Judith?

Sum sui generis
Vs

judith
Servant of the Land

Post by judith »

Hamilton... which now that I look at it from here... wasnt such a bad place to grow up :D Your south Island right?

judith

Return to “The Summonsing”