What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Rereading my old Darksword trilogy by Weiss/Hickman...forgot how much I enjoyed them...definitely their darkest combined work.

--A
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Half-way through Return of the Crimson Guard. And all of you Malazan-haters can bite me!!!

:mrgreen:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Ohhh Fistyyyy -- I don't suppose you would consider loaning it to me when you're done, would you? <bats eyelashes> <with apologies to Raen!>

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Hmm... *running eyes over ali's body* Perhaps we can work something out.

*CRACK*

Ouch!!!!!

Damn, I had no idea she was right behind me.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
pat5150
Giantfriend

Post by pat5150 »

Just finished Dan Simmons' Muse of Fire.

A mix of science fiction and Shakespeare. . . How can you go wrong!?!

Check the blog for the full review!

Patrick
www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com
Mysteweave
Giantfriend

Post by Mysteweave »

Stonemaybe wrote::roll: And I was going to try jordan soon!
You should!

Now that I'm near the end of the book (I haven't had a lot of time for reading lately) I can say that actually, it's nothing like Jordan. :P
x Covenant x Mordant's Need x Saltheart Foamfollower x

~ “Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.”
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

Just finished The Unlikely Ones by Mary Brown. I found it on a $1 rack and picked it up. It was a really good story, adn I'm glad it was a hardcover as I will find a place on my bookcase for this. :D

Spiral Jacobs
Giantfriend

Post by Spiral Jacobs »

I'm going to give Dhalgren another try...wish me luck!
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Reading "Golgotha Falls" by George Ukwendo. Let you know how it was after I'm through with it.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Spiral Jacobs wrote:I'm going to give Dhalgren another try...wish me luck!
Dhalgren has its fans. I'm a big one. I've read it at least six times. It's very profound, and worth reading, if you can get past the beginning.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Skimming the Wikipedia entry (trying to avoid spoilers), Dhalgren sounds intriguing!
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Malik23 wrote:Skimming the Wikipedia entry (trying to avoid spoilers), Dhalgren sounds intriguing!
Well, don't you know now I have to go to Wikipedia and see what it says ... pah, makes it sound like a mis-mash of cliches.

Here's what it's about ... lift all of the social constraints that weigh us down, and people will become ... exactly who they are. No more so than the story's protagonist, who has forgotten his name and his past, the things that weigh us down the most.

-- Sprinkle with a liberal amount of elaborately narrated sex between all combinations of partners you can conceive of (including a bunch of women gang-banging a guy). Fair warning.
Spiral Jacobs
Giantfriend

Post by Spiral Jacobs »

I started it several years ago but failed to get through the beginning. I'm now taking it slower, sentence-by-sentence. Delany is certainly not light work, but Nova and Babel-17 are among my favorite books. I've also read The Einstein Intersection but I can honestly say I don't understand one iota of that novella.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Malik23 wrote:Skimming the Wikipedia entry (trying to avoid spoilers), Dhalgren sounds intriguing!
I love it...read it several times. It's not real easy-reading though.

--A
pat5150
Giantfriend

Post by pat5150 »

Just finished Carrie Vaughn's Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand.

This fifth volume is another fun and entertaining addition to what is a cool urban fantasy series!

Check out the blog for the full review. :)

Patrick
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

At Christmas I started Ender's Game. I haven't got far, so I haven't really formed any thoughts on it yet. My opinion of Card jumped yesterday though, when I read that he wrote the legendary 'you fight like a dairy farmer' couplet from The Secret of Monkey Island. :D
Stonemaybe wrote:Started 'Jennifer Government' by Max Barry on Tuesday, he's the guy that started the Nationstates game that a few of us play (details over on Gravin Threndor). I'm undecided as yet. it's got me gripped, but I suspect the plot will let it down. It's main strength is the clever setting, which is a future where the big corporations run everything - it's just-not-far-fetched-enough to make it a bit scary! Does that make sense? I mean, you can almost see the world turning out like it does in the book. And it's NOT a pretty future!
I started reading the part that's on NationStates, but I quickly found Barry's style annoyed me. I think it's just a bit too matter of fact and, for want of a better (or real) word, unpoetic for me.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Just started Hunter's Run a very intriguing looking SciFi by two New Mexico authors and a famous editor/author. I'm going to do a longer rant about it on Ahira's Hangar's Martin forum later today. George R. R. Martin, Daniel Abraham and Gardner Dozois are the authors-and it's based on Dozios' rough draft from the very early '70. You can feel Martin and Abraham's influence right away as it's stocked with Mexican/New Mexican folklore.

Why write a rant? Well this is an example, among numerous other projects, of how Martin climbs into his inner circle and does these selfish things thus pissing off his loyal and long suffering Fire and Ice fans.
fall far and well Pilots!
Prince of Amber
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Prince of Amber »

Seriously - try Joe Abercrombie, best Fantasy I've read for years - and I've read alot,
There is also Love in the World.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I started reading Horus Rising by Dan Abnett. This is the first book in the Horus Heresy series.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
pat5150
Giantfriend

Post by pat5150 »

Just finished A Fantasy Medley, a limited edition anthology featuring short stories by Robin Hobb, Kate Elliott, Kelley Armstrong, and C. E. Murphy.

All in all, an interesting and enjoyable read.

Check the blog for the full review. :)

Patrick

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”