Remember the "If Abortion Is Murder" thread?

Archive From The 'Tank
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Once again, I can't take responsibility for your inability to grasp this simple concept. SCOTUS has determined that the unborn aren't persons, and therefore The Law of the Land, specifically the 14th Amendment, does not apply to them.

SCOTUS is making the claim that the unborn aren't persons, not the 14th Amendment.

Edited to add - And this is all within the framework of the law. Blackmun expressly states that he and the Court are not making a medical determination.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

From my point of view, the language quoted from Justice Blackmun is ambiguous. It could be that the unborn aren't persons according to the 14th amendment, it could be that the 14th amendment doesn't make it clear they are persons. Just thought I'd chime in my reading, or lack of reading, of the quote.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Holsety wrote:From my point of view, the language quoted from Justice Blackmun is ambiguous. It could be that the unborn aren't persons according to the 14th amendment, it could be that the 14th amendment doesn't make it clear they are persons. Just thought I'd chime in my reading, or lack of reading, of the quote.
The 14th Amendment doesn't take a position on it at all. What's interesting is that it specifically says "persons" rather than "citizens". What's also interesting is that there's substantial discussion in the RvW decision regarding God and souls, and the beginning of life.

I strongly suggest reading the entire decision, as that will remove some ambiguities, though it raises others.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

The word "person," as used in the Fourteenth Amendment, does not include the unborn.

The word "person" does not include the unborn.
Anyone want to claim that these two sentences assert the same thing?
Farsailer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Farsailer »

wayfriend wrote:
The word "person," as used in the Fourteenth Amendment, does not include the unborn.

The word "person" does not include the unborn.
Anyone want to claim that these two sentences assert the same thing?
Specious.

Depends on the premises you'll make your argument from.
A government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take everything you have.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Cail wrote:
Avatar wrote:As I've said before, I'm in favour of the outcome of RvW, but not of the reasoning. It isn't about privacy, it's about the right to control your own body.
As has been demonstrated, no it's not. It's about a court deciding that certain people have a very specific type of control of their body, and the expense of another body.
That's the legislative interpretation. I'm saying that was the wrong way to approach this particular question. And all the laws which do try to control what you do with your body are wrong.

--A

Return to “Coercri”