How Do You Feel Today? v4

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Isn't California an at will employment state? As in, you can be fired for any reason at any time?
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I'm Murrin wrote:Isn't California an at will employment state? As in, you can be fired for any reason at any time?
Yes, it is. And my boss is not the sort of person who would take an ultimatum well. I don't think he'd fire me, but I'd stress over the possibility enough that a vacation gained in such a way would not be overly relaxing.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

I'm Murrin wrote:Isn't California an at will employment state? As in, you can be fired for any reason at any time?
Wow 8O .. you cant do that here .. there are workplace and industrial relations laws .. wow .. just wow
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

95% of the people who have been fired from my workplace in the time I have been there were caught with their hands in the cookie jar. My boss knows he'd have a bloody hard time finding someone who would work as hard as I do and put up with as much crap as I do, especially for what they pay me. On the other hand, he did once refuse to let me leave work early to go to the hospital the day after I was hit by a car and thought I might be bleeding internally. And he did once say that I have value when I'm working, but no value if I'm not working. I'd really like to think there was some translation issue there, but I'm not sure.

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Every time you talk about your job Sorus, I just want to tell you to walk out of it. I know it's not that easy, but damn...

Anyway, I'm back.

Back on the Watch, and back at work. Meh.

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Oh noooo .. that went far too quick 8O

Completely agree .. Ive been thinking and saying the very same 😔

She deserves sooooo much better
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Yipes Sorus sorry you have to deal with that. Welcome back Avatar.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Thanks for listening to me complain. Unfortunately I can't just up and quit without having something else lined up, and I certainly can't do anything that would burn bridges reference-wise. Especially after having sent literally hundreds of applications into various quantum singularities over the last few years. I'm convinced that it's all in who you know, and everyone I know has fled this absurd city. They were smart.

Post by Avatar »

Thanks guys.

What about relocating Sorus? Look for jobs in other cities (or countries...) and then move?

It's never all about who you know...

--A
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

That's something I've been giving a lot of thought to lately. I was born here. Lived here pretty much all my life. No idea where I'd go. This city is going to hell in a handbasket, but is the grass really greener somewhere else?

Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Sorus wrote:That's something I've been giving a lot of thought to lately. I was born here. Lived here pretty much all my life. No idea where I'd go. This city is going to hell in a handbasket, but is the grass really greener somewhere else?
Y'know, over the past few years, I've occasionally been in like... one hospital or another and thought to myself, "You know, this looks like a healthy work environment. I wish I could teleport Sorus into a work environment that is as healthy as this one looks."

Not that you would have to become a nurse / aide / phlebotomist. (I know investing in training while working is a bummer.)
Have you ever thought about Medical Billing and Coding?
Mind you, I don't know what Medical Billing and Coding is, and it sounds like something I'd not like myself.
But I think you have a keen mind for systematization and would make yourself an expert in it.
And occasionally would run up against other people who you know more than, but that's the trials of caring about your work.

Also, I suspect that one of the receptionists at one of my doctor's offices was one of those People Who Saved My Life back in '14...
I needed to get an MRI scheduled and to move forward with cancer treatments, and dealing with administrative nonsense over the phone was Very Difficult.
I had tried calling the MRI place, ran into some difficulty, don't know if I called a few times more or why I believed they would not help me, but...
...there was a receptionist from my surgeon's office... whose name I still remember. (It's Esme.)
I pleaded with her if she could do something about this problem, and she helped me get the appt.
So I'm biased towards people working in the "unnoticed" positions in that field.
You know, maybe go and save someone's life.

I don't know what places are good.
I'm in the midwest and I love it. (Now, that is.)
I actually think I've even made peace with the cold winters.
I love being planted in the same place for a long time, myself, so I can see not wanting to leave your hometown. Even when it's bad, there's "the devil you know versus the devil you don't know" argument.

Okay, back to taxes for me, I think.
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"

Post by Avatar »

Sorus wrote:That's something I've been giving a lot of thought to lately. I was born here. Lived here pretty much all my life. No idea where I'd go. This city is going to hell in a handbasket, but is the grass really greener somewhere else?
In general, (and on average), it's probably not. But in your specific case, it might well be. :D That job is not good for you. How they treat you would be illegal in my country.

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

And mine 🤔
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Sorus - I have been in similar situations as yours. I have no idea of your specifics so maybe what I am about to advise is not even 1% relevant to your situation. However, maybe it is so giving it a shot.

**Warning** Some of this is going to come off sounding insensitive. Yes I know it is kind of - but that is only because I have been in similar situations and sometimes life is not pretty.

Ok - get ready for cliff dive no#1 - if you left with a at two week notice (or whatever notice you want to give) they would figure out a way to do your job. Companies are like vultures. They make it seem like everyone is indispensable until they are forced into reality when someone leaves. I have seen it play out time after time - person A leaves coworkers are shocked and/or sad, managers upset everyone grumbling. Day after person A left - people are grumbling because now they are asked to pick up the slack but they are also arguing who can all the supplies person A left - can I have their chair - all of their notepads,etc., But guess what that is not your problem!! Sure in the short term your life might be uncomfortable and anxiety driven - but isn't it already? I was let got from a company last year with one day notice and guess what - even though I knew a lot of stuff that no one else did somehow they made it through. Even though they had just complimented me on what a great job I was doing when it was convenient for them they let me go on short notice. Why am I telling you all this? Because when you are ready - it is ok to move on!! Yes you may feel short term guilt and anxiety but trust me if they upped and fired you, as they did me, they would move on and you would more forced to move on as well.

Cliff dive #2 - Figure out some survival wages - in the past I worked temporary jobs and/or part time wages for survival. Also had to resort to severe survival living budget - limited/no cable options, severe food budget, extremely limited entertainment budget no purchases unless surrounding basic necessities. Did it stink? Oh yes to high heavens it stunk big time!! But in your mind you have to convince yourself that it is investment into a better future.

Cliff dive #3 - when looking for a job most applications do ask for references but also most allow you to skip that as long as you state why - just state you are currently employed. Or if you happen to know some of the people that left try to get them to be references. That is one advantage of working at a temp place you get money and start building references that don't rely on horrific working company. Also - a secret I discovered - give HRs phone number as a reference check. In most states HR can only tell your wage, your state and end dates. They cannot reveal too many specifics about your reason for leaving so employees don't come back against them. [Even if all the HR people hate your guts trust me - most companies are too afraid of law suits/etc to tell too much in a reference check]

Now back to your question is the grass greener? That is excellent question. Sometimes the devil you know is better than the devils you don't know. Ultimately that is only a question you can answer. I will tell you that if you are going to work almost every day regretting it and thinking about leaving and all the work misery then the grass may not be greener if you left but at least you tried and there will be something about that trying that will lead you to new adventures and the preparation to leave company #2 if it is a worse dump than where you are working.

Is it difficult- definitely! I lived months which seemed like eternities on limited income mind blowing limited budgets and anxious days and nights. But even though I lived through those I don't regret any decision I made to leave places that were not acceptable.

Hope some any part of that helped - if not just know that whatever you decide to do we at KW are here to try to encourage and strengthen you.

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, been there, at the other end anyway. Had "essential" people leave suddenly, and we always managed to make it through. My own nominal "subordinate" at work just resigned too...just means I will have to do her job until we find somebody else to do it.

In other news, Thursday. :) Friday tomorrow. :D

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

haha :LOLS:
Last edited by Skyweir on Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

samrw3 wrote:Companies are like vultures.
Hey now, that's not fair to vultures. My preferred saying is that companies eat their children.

I know I'm expendable. That's the main reason I don't try to demand better treatment. And yeah, of course they take advantage of that. I'm not a cliff diver. Nothing terrifies me more than the thought of being unemployed. Plus I already live on a budget that has very few cuttable corners.

But I thank you for the thoughts and all that went into your post. I've been in this boat for a long time - it's a lousy boat, but sinking would be worse.

Post by Avatar »

At least you wouldn't have to keep bailing if it sank... ;)

Just keep sending out those applications, eventually somebody will be smart enough to hire you.

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

AMEN .. to what he said 😎

🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Sorus - no problem. I have been in similar situations.

Just a couple quick more thoughts. Glance through https://www.meetup.com/ you can join group/s that help during a job search and may be a chance for you to find some of those connections you were talking about in a prior post. I have used meetup.com in the past because I am a pretty severe introvert and fond a group of other introverts and enjoyed some movies and dinners with the group. So even for those not job looking it is a good site for finding groups with similar interests.

Also some libraries have groups that you can join were they help during job search.

Anyways I don't blame you for staying put if that is your comfort zone - I have been there done that.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”