Another Author Goof in FR? [SPOILERS]

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by emotional leper »

I don't think it quite matters. The words are not language as human language. They seem to be more like conceptual representations. I can't remember the series, but I remember one SciFi/Fantasy series with a race of telepathic beings who had no language as we would call it language. They communicated via idea. They had no word for 'hate.' THey would instead project the feeling of hating to 'say' hate. Except that it would carry far more content than a mere word, because you would know exactly what the 'speaker' meant.
B&
Borillar
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Borillar »

One thing I was never sure of in TWL is whether Covenant, in the scene with the Lurker, used the Seven Words (or as many of them as he understood) via divine inspiration (i.e., the way Berek used the Seven Words the first time) or whether he was merely repeating words he had heard the Lords use successfully. I think now we must conclude it's the former, since if it were divine inspiration you'd think he would have used them correctly.
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

I thought in the text it was pretty much spelled out that he said them to make the Krill come to life. Time to dig out my copy and flip pages.
B&
Borillar
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Borillar »

I think actually he used the Words to stop the fire that was spreading. But in any case, I think I was asking a different question. :)
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

Cameraman Jenn wrote:Well, technically it is taken from the original message.

" And as a token that what I say is the one word of truth, tell them this :Drool Rockworm, Cavewight of Mount Thunder, has found the Staff of Law, which was lost ten times a hundred years ago by Kevin ath the Ritual of Desecration."
That wasn't much of a token of truth, since the Council was skeptical of Covenant until he pulled out his ring. So it was the ring that was the ultimate token of truth. Foul should have said, "And as a token of what I say is the one word of truth, show them your ring!"
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Borillar wrote:In addition to the New Lords not knowing the 7th word, it appears they also grouped them incorrectly. They always say "Melunkurion Abatha! Duroc Minas Mill Kaabal!" But the correct grouping is "Melkunkurion Abatha. Duroc Minas Mill. Harad Kaabal." I wonder if that also lessens their potency.
I agree, too. I believe that pronounciation and inflection are critical. The farther from the perfect pronounciation, the less powerful they are.
"Can you come no closer than that to the Seven Words? You pronounce them badly."
I don't think the Raver was being merely insulting.
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

Returning to Linden's memory a bit. Is it just me who thinks that she remembers/knows remarkably little about the Land's history? There were several times when I told myself, but surely she should've known this? remembered this? After all they talked a lot with Covenant on Starfare's Gem (even if they had something better to do betimes:) and the Giants told tales too, still...

Or is it just me
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I find it interesting that the one word everyone (quite conveniently) forgot was the one that bound you to use the Earthpower responsibly...

And yes, there were things that she should (supposedly) have remembered a little about, but seemed to remember nothing. The same way there were things that could have been said or thought about (example: remembering and telling Marthiir that Hile Troy regained his sight through the Health-sense) that just weren't.
SGuilfoyle1966
Giantfriend

Post by SGuilfoyle1966 »

About Foul's doom on the land (the bane).
There is a specific passage where Covenant starts to say the message to Atiaran, and it is noted he has to make a serious effort to stop from telling it all.

About the seven words, seven wards, etc., people trying to make connection between them. I think that's probably too easy, convenient.

So here's my thought.
The first WORD is Melenkurion.
The SEVENTH Ward is the power of command. found under Melenkurion Skyweir.

There's no real connection, to my mind.

Also, there is a LOT of talk in FR about Berek, and by extension, the other Old Lords, being powerful because of and powerfully susceptible to despair. they are, to hear the talk, they were all substantially more lore powerful than the new Lords.

But the Themach tells the very first old High Lord that the sixth word is about resisting despair.

Granted a lot of the talk about the old Lords being all about despaire comes from or in and around Roger as TC, but what if it's true?

Does it not suggest that the trouble the new Lords had in translation was because they were the ones who more clearly grasphed the responsiblity inherent with the use of Earthpower.

They were missing the sixth word, but still came up with the Oath of Peace to fill in the void.

Or to put in the words of Mhoram, who someone said ALWAYS says the most important things, about kevin --

"The vision he lacked in life is not gained in death."

They were pure at heart, and better servants of the Earthpower, even though they felt themselves weak and poor students.
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

In TPTP, I believe it's Mhoram who realizes that the Oath of Peace is the factor that has hindered the new Lords from using Kevins Lore to it's fullest.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

That and the first word, Melenkurion, and the Seventh Ward, the Power of Command, being under Melenkurion Skywier, does makes sense.

Melenkurion means 'source.'

Melenkurion Skywier is the 'Source' of the Earthblood. The most potent form of Earthpower.
B&
lorewarden
Servant of the Land

Post by lorewarden »

i thought that linden was under the influence of diamodraught to help heal the leg when covenant used the seven words?
lorewarden
Servant of the Land

Post by lorewarden »

Or at least unconscious or delirious from the pain, in seadreamers arms
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

iQuestor wrote:I think SRD was a genious to reserve complete knowledge them all until the third chrons.
That's a nice spin, but I doubt that SRD knew there would ever be a third chronicles after he finished the second. :)
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Ms. Mary, he had the 2nd and 3rd Chronicles planned at the same time. When he wrote the 1st he didn't envision the rest until Lester Del Rey "made him do it" but all the rest came to him back then. He just wasn't ready to write the 3rd Chrons yet.
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Ah, I didn't know that. :)

He sure took a long time to get around to writing it, didn't he. ;)
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Yep. I'm sure I've posted this before but when I met him in '85 or 86 on his tour to promote Mirror of her Dreams I asked him if he'd ever publish the 3rd Chronicles (I figured that was better than being a fanboy and pleading ;) ). He said (you gotta picture him doing this):

"I have it up here," tapping his forehead with a wry grimace, "but I'm not sure if I'm brave enough."

I told him "Be true."

True story.
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

:mrgreen:
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor

Return to “Fatal Revenant”