Favorite Funny Scene

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I think Rocksister has it on this one - the beautiful soft humor of the scene where High Lord Prothall and Foamfollower jest about diamondraught stopping a war. Prothall notes wryly that he had heard the story but had heard it was Giantish talk that had worked the oracle. "You mistake me High Lord" says Foamfollower, "It was the giants who drank the Diamondraught".
A different type of humor is to be found in the scene where Covenant is considering whether to mount Vains back in order to get him to carry him to Rvelstone, but then realises that because he is not moving, neither will Vain. We have the delicious image of Vain standing motionless in the dessert plain with Covenant sitting on his back trying to drive him forward like a recalcitrant donkey.
Your politicians screwed you over and you are suprised by this?

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Favorite Funny Scene

Post by SleeplessOne »

A different type of humor is to be found in the scene where Covenant is considering whether to mount Vains back in order to get him to carry him to Rvelstone, but then realises that because he is not moving, neither will Vain. We have the delicious image of Vain standing motionless in the dessert plain with Covenant sitting on his back trying to drive him forward like a recalcitrant donkey.
hahaha that is gold Peter, I'd forgotten about that scene :lol:
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

For me it has to be any scene with Elena's marrowmeld work. It gets me every time!

It's the contradiction of the miracle of shaping bone through song and touch, and Elena's warped vision that make the end results so funny.
At least in my imagination!
Barnetto
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Barnetto »

SGuilfoyle1966 wrote:Pitchwife, for sure.
I cannot repost it in whole, but the whole Song that Baghoon the Unbearable sang after being tamed by Thelma Twofist.
Sounds like she was a right ugly woman.
Yes, indeed:

My love has eyes which do not glow
Her Loveliness is somewhat formed askew
With blemishes which number not a few
And pouting lips o'er teeth not in a row

Her limbs are doughtier than mine
And what I do not please to give she takes
Her hair were better kempt with hoes and rakes
Her kiss tastes less of diamondraught than brine

Her odorescence gives me ill
Her converse is by wit or grace unlit
Her raiment would become her if it fit
So think of me with rue: I love her still.
krillarbran
Stonedownor

Post by krillarbran »

I cant exact quote as my copy of LFB is at home.... One of my favourite laughter moments was when TC was enquiring to Bannor about himself and the bloodguard.

It was something like

Bannor: We do not sleep.

TC: You are already in hell.

I had to put the book down as I couldn't stop thinking about it. :)
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

krillarbran wrote:I cant exact quote as my copy of LFB is at home.... One of my favourite laughter moments was when TC was enquiring to Bannor about himself and the bloodguard.

It was something like

No criticism of your interpretation of the above scene Krillarbran, but just to demonstrate how we all see things differently when we read a book (to the point that we must wonder HOW we can love the same book when we view it so differently), I remember the exchange between Bannor and Covenant you refer to, but I saw no humor in it at all; on the contrary, I saw only pathos and saddness in the exchange to the point where I could have reached out and hugged Bannor (probably not a good idea), so extreme did his lonlyness and forlorness seem - and so impenetrable his refusal to alow himself even the common decency of anothers sympathy.
Your politicians screwed you over and you are suprised by this?

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
krillarbran
Stonedownor

Post by krillarbran »

peter wrote:
krillarbran wrote:I cant exact quote as my copy of LFB is at home.... One of my favourite laughter moments was when TC was enquiring to Bannor about himself and the bloodguard.

It was something like

No criticism of your interpretation of the above scene Krillarbran, but just to demonstrate how we all see things differently when we read a book (to the point that we must wonder HOW we can love the same book when we view it so differently), I remember the exchange between Bannor and Covenant you refer to, but I saw no humor in it at all; on the contrary, I saw only pathos and saddness in the exchange to the point where I could have reached out and hugged Bannor (probably not a good idea), so extreme did his lonlyness and forlorness seem - and so impenetrable his refusal to alow himself even the common decency of anothers sympathy.
That is the thing, I knew that it wasn't meant to be funny, maybe slightly sarcastic, yet I still laughed out loud and kept giggling. I could of been in a certain mood at the time. I definitely understand what you are saying though and understood what Donaldson was trying to put across.
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

And he will be known as:Pitchwife the fallen.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Shuram Gudatetris »

Upon rereading, I found this quite entertaining....

(Covenant first meeting Mhoram; Vespers: Chapter Thirteen of Lord Foul's Bane.)

" . . . He blinked at the Lord for a moment, then said to fill the silence, 'That Bloodguard of yours doesn't trust me.'

Mhoram smiled wryly. . . ."

(A few moments later, Covenant agreed to go with Mhoram to the Vespers.)

"The Lord bowed in acknowledgment, and at once preceded Covenant into the corridor outside his room. There they found Bannor. He stood against the wall near the door with his arms folded stolidly across his chest, but he moved to join them as Mhoram and Covenant entered the passageway. On an impulse, Covenant intercepted him. He met Bannor's gaze, touched the Bloodguard's chest with one rigid finger, and said, "I don't trust you either." Then he turned in angry satisfaction back to the Lord."
Covenant is Linden Frankenstein's monster.

I maxed-out Tetris!
Earthblood
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthblood »

quite a few of the bloodguard/haruchai scenes make me chuckle - just the image of a total deadpan look and then a slight shrug..."whatever Covenant (or Linden) - I'll just save your ass when you get stupid again"
"You're afraid of yourself."

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”