Favorite Funny Scene

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

SecondGeneration
Servant of the Land

Favorite Funny Scene

Post by SecondGeneration »

Given the overall tone of the books, this is kinda out of place, but there are a couple of times while reading the first chronicles where I laughed out loud. And besides, laughter keep despair away!

My personal favorite is at the end of IEW when Elena & co. have to jump into a ravine and TC won't do it. I get this mental picture of him standing at the edge like a little kid throwing a fit.

TC: I won't do it and you can't make me!

Bannor: Like I haven't heard that one before. *chucks TC*

But of course Bloodguard aren't sarcastic. Out loud.
hpty603
Woodhelvennin

Post by hpty603 »

Pretty much anything Pitchwife said was humorous in some way or another but when he was talking to TC about his storytelling, I found his reactions really funny

Linden should have quailed. His certainty was as bitter as the touch of a Raver: it should have defeated her. But it did not. How often had she heard Lord Foul or his servants prophesy destruction, attempting to impose despair? And how often had Thomas Covenant shown her that it was possible to stand upright under the weight of utter hopelessness?
Demondime-a-dozen-spawn
Giantfriend

Post by Demondime-a-dozen-spawn »

There's very little, if any, humor, in the Chronicles, IMO. And what humor there is, is generally an attempt by a character (usually Pitchwife) to relieve the burden of pain after one or another setback/catastrophe, and in general fails - not only within the story, but with the reader.

I can't think of any other author I'm a serious fan of who inflicts such unrelentingly depressing fare.
Meets or Exceeds International Humane Kill Standards.

Perpetual Motion or Until the Rubber Band Wears Out Motion
Demondime-a-dozen-spawn
Giantfriend

Post by Demondime-a-dozen-spawn »

Demondim-spawn wrote:There's very little, if any, humor, in the Chronicles, IMO. And what humor there is, is generally an attempt by a character (usually Pitchwife) to relieve the burden of pain after one or another setback/catastrophe, and in general fails - not only within the story, but with the reader.

I can't think of any other author I'm a serious fan of who inflicts such unrelentingly depressing fare on his readers.
Meets or Exceeds International Humane Kill Standards.

Perpetual Motion or Until the Rubber Band Wears Out Motion
Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Well, one passage in FR...

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

Spoiler
When Linden talks about how confusing Covenant and the Theomach and I think someone else together are.
I vaguely recollect other occasions.
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Favorite Funny Scene

Post by SleeplessOne »

Pitchwife commenting on Vain wanting to 'ravage' the dromond's foremast is pretty funny ...
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

"Dammit, does everyone on this boat know what we do when we're alone?"

Or something like that :)
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Also from FR:
Spoiler
A good part of the scene where TC is drunk
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

Rocksister
Giantfriend

Post by Rocksister »

Well, you were specifically talking about the First Chrons, I think, but I seriously can't think of much that's funny in the First ones. Covenant was a bitter man and had not learned to appreciate much in the First Chronicles, and I personally didn't find his vertigo too humorous since I suffer from a severe bout of it myself, and each passage I read about his problem with it made me dizzy. I guess the swim in Glimmermere with Elena, the first swim, made me smile a little. And Foamfollower's joke during their trip, about the Giants drinking the diamondraught and ending a conflict (or something like that), was a little humorous to me. Borillar's comments were funny at times, too, talking about his hard-won flesh and stuff. He's adorable.
Heard my ears aright? Did not the gaddhi grant me this glaive?

One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

> Favorite Funny Scene

Post by SleeplessOne »

I find amusement in this bit :

"Amok, knowledge is the way and door of power. The Earthpower answers those who know its name. How great is the power of the Seventh Ward?"
"It is the pinnacle of Kevin's Lore," said Amok slyly, as if he were making a subtle joke.
:)
hpty603
Woodhelvennin

Re: > Favorite Funny Scene

Post by hpty603 »

SleeplessOne wrote:I find amusement in this bit :

"Amok, knowledge is the way and door of power. The Earthpower answers those who know its name. How great is the power of the Seventh Ward?"
"It is the pinnacle of Kevin's Lore," said Amok slyly, as if he were making a subtle joke.
You know, I spent at least 5 minutes on my last read through of IEW trying to figure out what that meant and I just now got it...

Linden should have quailed. His certainty was as bitter as the touch of a Raver: it should have defeated her. But it did not. How often had she heard Lord Foul or his servants prophesy destruction, attempting to impose despair? And how often had Thomas Covenant shown her that it was possible to stand upright under the weight of utter hopelessness?
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

hpty603 wrote:

You know, I spent at least 5 minutes on my last read through of IEW trying to figure out what that meant and I just now got it...
Wait, is there really a joke in there?
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

The subtle joke has to do with the location of the power of the Seventh Ward.

(sorry, Rigel, if yours was a rhetorical question. 'Tis late and I may be irony-impaired.)
soft one
Ramen

Post by soft one »

That IS subtle. I just now got it as well. Jeez... I feel stupid. Just bang it into my head a few times and I'll get it eventually.
Covenant turned in time to see a short figure detach itself from the burning mud, step queasily onto the hard ground.

The figure was scarcely taller than the skest, and shaped like them, a misborn child without eyes or any other features. But it was made of mud. Flames flickered over it as it climbed from the fire, then died away, leaving a dull brown creature like a sculpture poorly wrought in clay. Reddish pockets embedded in its form glowed dully.
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Doh!

(Side note: every time I quote Homer, I get a double whammy craving for donuts. Doh - Donut. Homer - Donut. Hmm, donuts...)
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Pitchwife the fallen...
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Favorite Funny Scene

Post by SleeplessOne »

love this bit too, where Covenant braves the Warder of Ridjeck Thome (whistling nonchalantly as he approaches no less) :
When he surveyed it from head to foot, he met its powerful gaze again, and said with all the insolence he could muster; "Don't tell Foul I'm here. I want to suprise him."
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Savor Dam wrote:The subtle joke has to do with the location of the power of the Seventh Ward.
Good grief. I always read that passage as just Amok being a knowing and crafty little bugger. In all these years, I've never even noticed that joke.
SleeplessOne wrote:love this bit too, where Covenant braves the Warder of Ridjeck Thome (whistling nonchalantly as he approaches no less) :
When he surveyed it from head to foot, he met its powerful gaze again, and said with all the insolence he could muster; "Don't tell Foul I'm here. I want to suprise him."
:lol: :lol: I'd forgotten all about that. One of many reason Covenant's better than-- no, forget I mentioned it. ;) :biggrin:
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

In [u]Lord Foul's Bane[/u] was wrote:With his teeth gritted to stop his trembling, he asked, "Who are you?"

As if sensing its mistake, the voice became smoother. "I have had many names," it said. "To the Lords of Revelstone, I am Lord Foul the Despiser; to the Giants of Seareach, Satansheart and Soulcrusher. The Ramen name me Fangthane. In the dreams of the Bloodguard, I am Corruption. But the people of the Land call me the Gray Slayer."

Distinctly, Covenant said, "Forget it."

"Fool!" ground the voice, and its force flattened Covenant on the rock.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Re: Favorite Funny Scene

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

SecondGeneration wrote:Given the overall tone of the books, this is kinda out of place, but there are a couple of times while reading the first chronicles where I laughed out loud. And besides, laughter keep despair away!

My personal favorite is at the end of IEW when Elena & co. have to jump into a ravine and TC won't do it. I get this mental picture of him standing at the edge like a little kid throwing a fit.

TC: I won't do it and you can't make me!

Bannor: Like I haven't heard that one before. *chucks TC*

But of course Bloodguard aren't sarcastic. Out loud.
Here's the actually quote.
It's my pick for one of the funniest lines in the Chronicles too:

"Come!" said Amok cheerfully. "Follow!" His voice sounded over the distant, subterreanean gush of the river. With an insouciant stride, he moved away into the mountain. At once, the gloom swallowed him completely.
Morin glanced at the High Lord. When she nodded,
he leaped into the cleft, landed where Amok had been standing a moment before. He took one step to the side, and waited.
"Don't. be ridiculous," Covenant muttered as if he were talking to the dank, chill breeze which blew out of the crevice. "I'm no Bloodguard. I'm just ordinary flesh and blood. I get dizzy when I stand on a chair. Sometimes I get dizzy when I just stand."
The High Lord was not listening to him. She murmured a few old words to the Staff, and watched intently as it burst into flame. Then she stepped out into the darkness. Morin caught her as her feet touched the ledge. She moved past him, and positioned herself so that the light of the Staff illuminated the jump for Covenant.
The Unbeliever found Bannor looking at him speculatively.
"Go on ahead," said Covenant. "Give me time to get up my courage. I'll catch up with you in a year or two."
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”