JULY 12TH!!!!!!

Winter is coming...

Moderator: dANdeLION

dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

lucimay wrote:and come july 12th, you'll be bitter no more. muahahahahahahaha
Not true. GRRM gets to torture us at least 2 more times, assuming he'll live long enough to finish the series. I say 'at least', because he also is capable of extending the series.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

___,

If it's torture why not drop the series?
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Dropping the series would give people closure. Better to draw it out as lnog as possible. ;)
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

SerScot wrote:___,

Is that what you do? Quit when things get uncomfortable? Quit if you want. I won't, because I'm not a loser.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

ike5
Servant of the Land

Post by ike5 »

___ wrote:

Is that what you do? Quit when things get uncomfortable? Quit if you want. I won't, because I'm not a loser.
Well, personally, while I'm on hiatus from kissing his ass, I buy all the products offered for sale on GRRM's "not a blog," upto and including water logged calenders from 2008. I, for one, am no quitter.

Yours Truly,

GRRM's Bitch.
ike5
Servant of the Land

Post by ike5 »

Actually, on some level, I hope his next book bombs. Many people will drop the series en masse -- including myself. So far, it has been fairly good, but not THAT good. Not good enough for a re-read.
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

___,

I've not quit, nor have a spent my time bitching and moaning about how long it takes an author to complete a book.

ike5,

Your desire is incredibly unlikely to come to pass. I've heard and read several of the spoiler chapters available. I'm confident ADWD is going to be a very good book.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I've not quit, nor have a spent my time bitching and moaning about how long it takes an author to complete a book.
No, you just spend your time being contentious with me.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

ike5
Servant of the Land

Post by ike5 »

___ wrote:

No, you just spend your time being contentious with me.
If it must be done, time must be spent. GRRM's white knight, "SerScot," will see it done. Your slanderous and extremely time-consuming bitching and moaning shall be put down, Ser.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Time-consuming? I'll have you know I'm the fastest bitcher in the west.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

ike5
Servant of the Land

Post by ike5 »

"___,"

If that is your real name.

I, by the authority self-invested in me, do hereby declare you guilty of malcontent, rebellion, both bitching and moaning, and really just wasting a lot of time, basically; and sentence you to be flogged with wet – or somewhat water-logged, but still in fair condition – ice and fire calendars, which you will be required to pay for yourself (at 20% off for a limited time) out of your own savings.

Also, you are hereby banned for life from the possession of non-Wildcards related GRRM materials, unless they be the aforementioned wet calendars.

Now GO! and get you hence from this GRRM sub-forum.

Signed,

One of The many many Minions that really really think GRRM is cool and awesome, take this stuff very very personally and seriously, and totally enjoy buying his merchandise – really!

For more product information please visit: grrm.livejournal.com/
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that Martin still hasn't finished aDwD. :biggrin:
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

ike5 wrote:"___,"

If that is your real name.
Interesting. Today seems to be rife with alter-egos trying to get my attention.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Orlion wrote:I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that Martin still hasn't finished aDwD. :biggrin:
Mark my words: he's gonna stiff us again.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I have no doubt he will. I just hope whenever it does get done, GRRM is the one to finish it. It would be a damn shame if he passed away, or just got tired of it, and left it to someone else to finish.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Waddley
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Waddley »

"Let my inspiration flow in token rhyme, suggesting rhythm." -Robert Hunter
ike5
Servant of the Land

Post by ike5 »

___ wrote: Interesting. Today seems to be rife with alter-egos trying to get my attention.
That's an interesting interpretation.
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Good Grief.

I simply get tired of people bitching and moaning about the time it takes to write his novel as though they are out something because the book hasn't appeared yet.

If he decided to stop writing ASOIAF tomorrow and concentrate exclusively upon WILDCARDS that would be his business. I'd be disappointed too but guess what boys and girls, shit happens.

This is the first time GRRM has given a solid promise and date as to when this book will be completed and available for purchase. I'll be very surprised if we do not see the book on the Street on 7/12/2011.

But when the book does appear I'm sure you will all be here bitching that you don't have TWOW yet.

Aliantha,

How can he "Stiff" you "Again" when this is the first time he's made a solid promise without qualification that the book will be released on X date?
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

SerScot wrote:Good Grief.

I simply get tired of people bitching and moaning about the time it takes to write his novel as though they are out something because the book hasn't appeared yet.
If it's so tiring, maybe you should quit.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

SerScot wrote:Good Grief.

If he decided to stop writing ASOIAF tomorrow and concentrate exclusively upon WILDCARDS that would be his business. I'd be disappointed too but guess what boys and girls, shit happens.

This is the first time GRRM has given a solid promise and date as to when this book will be completed and available for purchase. I'll be very surprised if we do not see the book on the Street on 7/12/2011.

But when the book does appear I'm sure you will all be here bitching that you don't have TWOW yet.

Aliantha,

How can he "Stiff" you "Again" when this is the first time he's made a solid promise without qualification that the book will be released on X date?
I'm not bitching, I haven't even read the books :biggrin: BTW, doesn't he all ready have some chapters written for TWOW? Wasn't that part of this whole debacle with FoC and DwD, that he had some story shifting to do within these three books?

The real issue, as I see it, SerScot, is a matter of trust. Some people (like yourself) trust that Martin knows what he's doing, so these delays don't bother you....as much. Everything else is to defend Martin because you trust him. I do the same thing with Donaldson, and I'd probably used similar tactics if he took six years to finish The Last Dark (though I trust this won't be the case ;)).

Other people don't trust him. And it's not just the long wait, either. Many readers (as I understand it) waited a long time for FoC, and their expectations weren't met (let's set aside reader's expectations and artistic vision for now).

To regain that trust, Martin will have to 1)Finish the book [as you said, this is the most solid he's ever been about the release date... if he fails, well... I don't think he will, but I don't trust/distrust him either] 2) It will have to be worth the wait. And this will divide people, some people will say it was worth the wait, others will not. That happens.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley

Return to “George R. R. Martin Forum”