Low-iodine diet

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Menolly wrote:Yes, that I understand. I stopped taking the synthroid back on, uhm, December 12th, I think. I hope that is long enough to get the thyroid hormone to the levels it needs to be before I am admitted for the uptake on Wednesday.
It may well be. Obviously, your endocrinologist will need to advise you on that.

It takes much longer than that, however, to feel some of the more worrisome side effects of hypothyroidism, months in many cases, depending on how low the thyroid hormones are. Undiagnosed hypothyroidism can be very insidious because of that - a person could get into serious hypothyroidism before anyone really realizes something is wrong.

So glad you are getting the care you need.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Oy, double post, silly glitchy forum. :P
Last edited by MsMary on Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

:hug:
Todah, MsMary.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

The curry is a success, yay!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Day 13:

Well, I am uncertain if the apathy continues, or if deboning the shoulder roast myself and making the curry has just burnt me out, not to mention not being able to eat out even once over the past nearly two weeks. Be that as it may, I encouraged the guys to plan on going out themselves tonight. This enabled me to have my meat portion for lunch, where I took 6 oz. of the planned over whole chicken from Friday night and put it cold in to two corn tortillas with field greens and a spread of mashed avocado.

Dinner for me will be a much simpler affair of pasta with my "salsa fresca" yet again, and a field green salad with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar. That will suit me just fine.

One more day, and then I'll be admitted to the hospital for the uptake, where meals will be planned for me for a few days. I was told to bring some snacks along, as long as I won't mind leaving them behind when I am discharged. Still, it will be nice to be out of the kitchen for a few days, even if it is to only eat "hospital food."

While I'm not physically tired, per se, I'm "tired," you know?
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

I do know. You have done very well dealing with all that has been thrown at you over the last few months. You have need make no excuses for being tired.

Hang in there, Menolly. :hug:

A few more days and you will be back on supplements and will feel far better. Not to mention the relief of no longer having to wonder what the uptake will reveal. At last, there will be Light at the end of the tunnel of this episode!
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

As I said to a Facebook friend who posted almost the same thing as you, SD:

"Light is always in sight."

I just have to remember to look within to find it at times...
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Had a breakfast of champions for a low-iodine meal. Baked a potato and seasoned it with extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt, granulated garlic, fresh ground mixed peppercorns, hot paprika, and dried dill weed. Then, at hyperception's suggestion, I reheated about a quarter cup of the planned over lamb curry and ladled that over all.
Yummy! ♥
...hated to have to throw away the crispy skin, but neither of the guys wanted it and it is off limits while I'm eating this way.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Entering hospital for uptake tomorrow morning, so will be AFK until released again, whenever that will be. Will also be without cell phone, but I intend to text a few people the hospital phone number and my room number, once I know it. There will be a phone in the room, and I am sure I will eventually be going stir crazy, so should I suffer nausea from the radiation, I expect I'll be looking forward to chatting with anyone who wishes to call and voice chat after that. LMK if you would like to be included in the text once I know what room I'm in.

Dinner Day 14:
Dinner tonight was pork steaks with steamed cabbage. My serving was then cubed and added to the salsa fresca from yesterday and served over whole grain pasta. Melon tonight before bed, and then strictly water tomorrow until the hospital starts serving me.
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

good luck tomorrow. You're in my thoughts.
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Thanks, lorin!

I was discharged yesterday evening, but by the time we finished dinner (pizza out, after the restrictions of the low-iodine I was craving dairy!), I was ready to crash and never made it to the Watch.

The next may be TMI, so read at your own risk...

I was given a prescription to fill before I entered the hospital for an anti-nausea medication, which I did. However, even with as much radioactive iodine as I took, nausea never did hit, even in the hospital. While my diet there was still restricted, I feel blessed to have been able to eat as well as I did.

It is good to be out of isolation, back on the computer, and able to eat as I choose for now. I have returned to my prescriptions and need to remember to take my supplements as well. Energy has been a little low today, but I expect that to pass shortly.

Whole body scan scheduled for midweek. All will be well, whatever The All determines well to mean. I am certain the scan will come back clean though. Positive vibes!
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

While we spoke on the phone a few times, the world just wasn't right on its axis with you offline that long. Welcome back! :hug:
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Thank you, kind sir!
I appreciate the phone calls from you, as well as the joint ones from you and Dam-sel. Really helped break the monotony. :hearts:

Return to “The Galley”