Where is everyone?

Archive From The 'Tank
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Given that a batch is 5 gallons, I don't think I would have gotten much done if I'd had a whole batch. :lol: However, I certainly had a few while working on my projects. That's part of the fun. If it can build pyramids, it can get a garage clean.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

I have several projects in the works. My wife and I painted our Dining room and kitchen (ceilings, walls, trim) pulled off the old border put on new. We are updating our French doors that go out the patio, they had to be special ordered and should be in next Saturday.

After we get that done, we are stripping the paint from the concrete patio (the prior owner painted them to look like red bricks and now its peeling) and once that is stripped we are resurfacing with a Rustoleum restore kit which will give it a new 'stone' look.

As soon as we have that done we will be bringing in 2 pallets of Sod to fix the grass in the area around it and a few problem areas in the yard.

Later this year we would like to pressure wash and then touchup our outdoor paint and trim.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Why would anyone paint concrete to look like brick? I am certain they did it because pouring the concrete was less expensive than installing brick but if you want a brick look then just buy brick and mortar them in place.

For the exterior, have you considered tex-cote? That would probably be more expensive than a touch-up but it should also maintain its quality, durability, and looks for a long time.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote: Why would anyone paint concrete to look like brick? I am certain they did it because pouring the concrete was less expensive than installing brick but if you want a brick look then just buy brick and mortar them in place.

Exactly what I said.. LOL. What a mess to clean up.
Hashi Lebwohl wrote: For the exterior, have you considered tex-cote? That would probably be more expensive than a touch-up but it should also maintain its quality, durability, and looks for a long time.
I have looked at it. The cost is enough (10X more than paint) that unless you plan on not selling your house any time soon, it wouldnt be worth it. Even though you dont have to paint your house every 30 to 40 years it doesnt really add value that you can get for your house when you sell it.

Heck, my wife and I painted our own house at a cost of less than 1K dollars with rollers and brushes (no sprayers allowed) more than 5 years ago. Our paint is still in really good condition. Some of my neighbors that had theirs sprayed that same year are ALL are showing peeling and thin paint. Our house may possibly get another 3 years out of the current paint before needing to re-paint.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

SoulBiter wrote: Heck, my wife and I painted our own house at a cost of less than 1K dollars with rollers and brushes (no sprayers allowed) more than 5 years ago. Our paint is still in really good condition. Some of my neighbors that had theirs sprayed that same year are ALL are showing peeling and thin paint. Our house may possibly get another 3 years out of the current paint before needing to re-paint.
I never recommend spraying, except maybe for interior surfaces or little projects in the garage. My problem with spraying, especially if you hire contractors to do the painting, is that you don't know if they are watering down the paint not only so that it goes through the sprayer more efficiently but they may be trying to cut corners.

I understand what you are saying about the coating, as well. I think the average length of time in a purchased residence these days is about 7 years (or was it 10? I don't recall) so paying the extra amount when you aren't going to be there for the life of the purchase makes it not worth it.

We are still looking to get into a house; my wife much prefers brick so that exterior upkeep is kept to a minimum--she doesn't mind painting trim or even a front porch but she doesn't want to deal with major exterior jobs.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, never really got the whole "wooden house" thing. :D

--A
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

SoulBiter wrote:I have several projects in the works. My wife and I painted our Dining room and kitchen (ceilings, walls, trim) pulled off the old border put on new. We are updating our French doors that go out the patio, they had to be special ordered and should be in next Saturday.

After we get that done, we are stripping the paint from the concrete patio (the prior owner painted them to look like red bricks and now its peeling) and once that is stripped we are resurfacing with a Rustoleum restore kit which will give it a new 'stone' look.

As soon as we have that done we will be bringing in 2 pallets of Sod to fix the grass in the area around it and a few problem areas in the yard.

Later this year we would like to pressure wash and then touchup our outdoor paint and trim.
I'm exhausted just reading this.
Hashi Lebwohl wrote:Why would anyone paint concrete to look like brick? I am certain they did it because pouring the concrete was less expensive than installing brick but if you want a brick look then just buy brick and mortar them in place.
I would bet they were trying for the stained concrete thing. Very trendy these days.

Post by Avatar »

I prefer polished concrete myself.

--A
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Avatar wrote:Yeah, never really got the whole "wooden house" thing. :D

--A
it is a house made of wood.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Post by Avatar »

Yeah but why? It's a wall you can go through with an axe. And internal ones you can go through with a hammer. Doesn't seem very secure to me. Not to mention flammable. :lol:

--A
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Post by Avatar »

Haha, yeah. Although Cail assures me that hurricanes will destroy brick ones just as easily. (Perhaps not to the same extent though? I dunno. :D )

--A
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Hurricanes typically do have the ability to destroy both wooden and brick houses but even hurricanes pale in comparison to tornadoes, which can erase even reinforced concrete down to the bare foundation. There are a couple of companies specializing in pre-cast concrete housing or concrete-over-inflatable-balloon housing, both of which do pretty well against most sustained high-speed winds. Concrete houses have the added benefit of being relatively fireproof, as well.

Post by Avatar »

Well insulated too. Anyway, yeah, houses here are brick or concrete. (The one's that aren't corrugated iron shacks anyway.) Luckily we suffer neither tornadoes nor earthquakes.

--A
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Avatar wrote:Yeah but why? It's a wall you can go through with an axe. And internal ones you can go through with a hammer. Doesn't seem very secure to me. Not to mention flammable. :lol:

--A
wood was cheap and available. (that's what she said)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Post by Avatar »

Fair enough I suppose. It's probably psychological on my part anyway. :lol:

--A
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Hello.........
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Ztt ..err.. uh.. what?
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

There were 6 of us in my group here at work. One of us is already gone and another one's last day is Friday. My work load is about to increase by 50% (4 people to do the work that 6 people were doing) and I highly doubt anyone will be hired in the near future. Still....job security for me....but less free time.

Post by Avatar »

I'm here. :D Anyway, spring in the northern hemisphere is traditionally a quiet time on the Watch.

--A

Return to “Coercri”