Robert Jordan's new series

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

pat5150
Giantfriend

Post by pat5150 »

Hi Jay!

But Rowling is in a class of her own. As far as this Jordan marketing campaign and first print go, there has never been an author in the fantasy genre who could benefit from this sort of thing. I just don't think it's money well invested. Jordan has a cult following and the book will debut at number 1 on the NYT list regardless of all that. Tor should use that money to market other writers...

Patrick
www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com
Variol Farseer
Bloodguard

Post by Variol Farseer »

The trouble is, Tor probably had to promise that money to Jordan because his agent demanded it. Not that it will do Jordan or Tor any good, but because it shows what a bad-*ss dude the agent is. There's a lot of power-tripping goes on among agents of bestselling authors.
Without the Quest, our lives will be wasted.
pat5150
Giantfriend

Post by pat5150 »

Hi guys!

The first official book review of Knife of Dreams is now available on wotmania.com and dragonmount.com.

I've added it to the weblog, if anyone is interested. . .

Patrick
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Oooh, Jordan actually remembers what it means to be writer? I kid, I kid. Sounds like it will be worth reading.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Encryptic
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Encryptic »

I feel sure that I speak for all of us when I say with a certain amount of skepticism, "Jordan actually wrapped up a plotline????"

Assuming this guy isn't getting anything under the table from Tor and isn't completely blinded by Jordan fanboyism, I suddenly have higher hopes for this one. :P
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Well, it's gotta be hard to go downhill from "Crossroads." ;)

--A
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

Sorry if I offend anyone with this post, but we're all entitled to our opinions...
And let's not forget Terry Goodkind. In his own words, he has revolutionized the genre. Just ask him. He'll be happy to tell you.
Terry Goodkind sucks. I'd love to see the interview where he makes this claim. It will be like reading Christopher Paolini's ramblings.
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." (Anais Nin)
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I have seen interviews where Goodkind claims stuff like that. I will google around and see what I can find. :)

Here's a start with an essay on his basic philosophy behind his writing. Notice the comments on world building. That's probably why his series has so much inconsistency from book to book.

www.terrygoodkind.com/philosophy.php

Quite frankly, I think Goodkind's writing is pretty durned awful. :-|

edited:

Here you go, meet one of the most arrogant people on the earth.
www.terrygoodkind.com/chats/PIchat5.php

I'm sure I can find more stuff like this with more googling, but I truly don't have the heart to do that right now.
Love as thou wilt.

dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I don't know, guys. One thing that seems to be common with all successful writers is a large amount of self-confidence. I mean, for all I know, S. R. Donaldson and G. R. R. Martin (for example) could easily be some of the most arrogant people on earth, too, but get away with it here because they're so darn good at writing that we just don't care. Anyway, i've been letting you guys say what you want here, but I'd rather see positive stuff about writers you like than negative stuff about writers you don't like. And if it's nectheirhis/her writing flaws, not their personality flaws. That being said, I'll certainly stay away from Goodkind and Jordan now. :D

Heh, I guess I'm earning my Mod check this week. :mrgreen:
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

SRD has always struck me as arrogant. Although as he has grown older, he seems to have become more humble.

Martin, on the other hand, has always struck me as incredibly humble. (And wildly talented.)
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

I just read the Goodkind interview. Thanks for posting the link.

Sheesh. He's worse than his books, and that's quite a challenge.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

When I got to meet SRD I truly did not get any "arrogant" vibes at all. :)

If I do get to meet GRRM next month when he comes to Ann Arbor, I will let you guys know how that went. :)

Getting back to the original subject of the thread -- Robert Jordan -- I have been hearing a lot of very positive things about his latest book over at the Martin board where I go. Some of the people there seem to be very familiar with Jordan and his work.

One person said that Jordan went to Amazon and read all of the horrible reviews of Crossroads of Twilight. He was reportedly very stung by them. In response to that, he decided to write the best book he humanly could for Knife of Dreams.

Everyone who has read it so far at the Martin board says that it is an immense improvement over the last few Wheel Of time books. They say he wraps up major plots lines and if anything -- the book moves too quickly. 8O And they say that he cuts way back on the repetative desciptions.

So he pretty much, according to those who have read the book, really did take the criticisms to heart and tried to do a lot better job with this book.

Whatever else you want to say about the guy -- in my mind, if this stuff people at the Martin board is saying is true -- the guy has just proved himself to have a lot of balls.

A lot of those Amazon reviews really were pretty viscious. A lot of people would have been crushed by them, or enraged.

Jordan reportedl used them as an inspiration to try to be better at his job. And I have to respect that. :)
Love as thou wilt.

burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

I met SRD in 1983. He came across - then - very, very arrogant. I also got those "vibes" in later interviews, some of which are on his website.

In his GI, however, it's obvious that he has lost all or most of the arrogance from his younger days.
Variol Farseer
Bloodguard

Post by Variol Farseer »

In 1983, SRD was one of the best-selling authors on earth. Likely that went to his head for a while, until the sharp decline of his sales and critical reputation reminded him that Thomas Covenant was not the only author to whom the label 'Golden Boy' and the attendant verses applied.

I first met him in 1991, and he did not strike me as arrogant at all then — though still somewhat prickly, and less approachable than he has since become. He seems to have mellowed with age.
Without the Quest, our lives will be wasted.

Post by Avatar »

dANdeLION wrote:Heh, I guess I'm earning my Mod check this week. :mrgreen:
You get a cheque? :x

;)

--A
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Yeah, because like, I mod all the hard forums, while all you do is babysit the Tank. :mrgreen:
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval

Post by Avatar »

LMAO!

:D

--A
pat5150
Giantfriend

Post by pat5150 »

I'm halfway through Jordan's KNIFE OF DREAMS, and so far it's very, very good. It's too early to say, but it just might be the best WoT novel in quite some time.

By the way, I've got free copies of SHAMAN'S CROSSING and ANANSI BOYS up for grabs at the blog, if anyone is interested!

Back to KNIFE OF DREAMS!

Patrick
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

I think prickly is a good description, Farseer. Like he's used to being disagreed with by the people who mean most to him -- which would certainly have been the case, given his upbringing.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
pat5150
Giantfriend

Post by pat5150 »

Hi guys!

Although a big fan, I will be the first to admit that the pace of the last three volumes doesn't compare with the others. But having finished Knife of Dreams, it is now apparent that Jordan had to set many pieces on the board before he could make his move. In any event, my opinion is that The Path of Daggers is the only novel that left things to be desired. It is now evident that A Crown of Swords, The Path of Daggers, Winter's Heart and Crossroads of Twilight were transition books tying up the storylines of first six volumes with that of the last two volumes.

Readers will be glad to learn that the pace of Knife of Dreams takes an abrupt turn for the better. A sense of urgency permeates every plotline. Tarmon Gai'don is coming soon. There is no longer any doubt about it. Those who were blaming Jordan for stagnating storylines will see that things are rapidly going downhill now.

Without the shadow of a doubt, Knife of Dreams is the best WoT novel since Lord of Chaos. Several main and secondary plotlines converge toward the Last Battle. We witness the resolution of a number of them, some that have begun in The Eye of the World. One in particular (which has been hinted at in the very first book) truly blew my mind. Jordan is really moving forward now, and series is gaining momentum with every chapter. Those who have been keeping tabs of Min's viewings, Egwene's dreams, and the Prophecies of the Dragon will realize that many of them are being fulfilled in this book.

To put it simply, Knife of Dreams is the most satisfying WoT novel in years. A great read, to be sure.

So have no fear and give the book a chance! If this novel doesn't reconcile the doubters with the series, nothing will!;)

For the full review, you can check the blog. But so far, I have only seen good book reviews, so that's a good sign, right!?!:)

Patrick

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”