Political ramifications of London bombings

Archive From The 'Tank
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Doesn't seem too serious according to current reports.

--A
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Four explosions reported so far.....
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Lord

Post by Plissken »

Sealing the border only solves half the problem - especially if, in the pursuit of democracy, we're going to continue to ignore human rights. Why don't people get this? Look:

Imagine you and a few of your friends are standing out in front of your house, having a few beers and talking. The conversation has turned to the KKK, and someone opines: "What a crazy bunch of cream-filled Ho-Hos! Imagine using the Word of God to promote and justify the spread of hate, fear and violence!"

Just as you all are nodding sagely at the wisdom of this statement, a Hummer full of black guys pulls up and, at gunpoint, three of your little group are hauled away...

After 1 - 18 months of being held and tortured with formal charges, your friends are returned - having been found to be of "no actual threat" to the black guys.

During your bittersweet frontporch reunion, you see the Hummer full of armed black guys pulling up at the neighbors...
“If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.”
-- James Madison

"If you're going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh. Otherwise they'll kill you." - George Bernard Shaw
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Exactly. That's why you seal the border to prevent the influx of new recruits, and you work with the "people in the street", so they will bring the bad guys to you, rather than allowing a half-baked excuse to propogate that it's neccessary to go house to house, and shake everyone until their fillings fall out.
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Cail wrote:Four explosions reported so far.....
Four small exposions, three on the underground, one on a bus. No-one dead, one person slightly injured and that's one of the bombers (I'm gven to understand). It seems they were basically just detonators rather than actual explosives. Just blew out the odd window here and there.
Last edited by CovenantJr on Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I just read a report where it was reported that there was actually noting they could do about it short of searching ever user of public transport in the city. Which is clearly going to be highly impractical from many points of view. In essence, you just have to be glad that the emergency services wil respond quickly.

I'm not sure yet what my reaction to that is, but I don't think its going to be a good one.

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Okay, I know this will tick a lot of people off, but **** it, this just smells so bad. I just saw this on CNN, and I'm writing this right off.

The Patriot Act was up for renewel in Congress. It passed (of course). 14 of 16 parts made permanent. Etc.

What really bothers me is the equation Bush/Blair Are Buds + Patriot Act up for renewel = London Bombings coming just in time to scare everyone.

Yes, it's a conspiracy theory. What stinks is that I cannot dismiss it as crap!
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Interesting timing I'll grant you, but I find it hard to believe that either Bush or Blair, especially Blair, would even consider blowing up British citizens to pass an American piece of legislation.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

I've got to agree with Cail on this one.

I certainly believe, that the "Terror Color Chart" may be raised to a higher color at a specific time arbitrarily to benefit passage of legislation, or things may be exaggerated to accomplish the same.

I certainly don't believe another Country's leader would risk their own civillian's lives, at this stage in the War on Terror. And it's my hope that our own President wouldn't be able to get away with a terror attack on our soil to benefit passage of legislation, I would hope someone in our Government would blow the whistle.

However, when I'm feeling especially vulnerable to Conspiracy Theories, I sometimes allow myself to believe for a minute or two, that's why Bush was given Florida in 2000, because the mucky-mucks knew 9/11 was coming and were afraid of having Gore in the White House to deal with the aftermath. Please note: I don't believe this often or for very long, but, every once in a while, I believe just a little bit, that it's possible. What you are suggesting, however, Wayfriend, I really do not believe this "War on Terror" has evolved far enough to start seeing that desperate a measure (Doesn't mean things won't maybe get that desparate in 5, 10, 20 years, but, today, I don't think so)
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Wayfriend,

I heard a conspiracy theory that MI5 was behind the London bombings.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I'm not up on MI5. But a quick google shows that I am not the first, tenth, or 1000th person to consider this possibility.

Random, unattributed blurbs and blips:

I'm sure your first line of denial will be that there is no evidence that the London bombings were an inside job.

Except there is:
  • 1 Right after the bombing, the AP reported that Scotland Yard warned the Israeli embassy immediately before the attacks, and that as a result Netanyahu did not travel to a hotel near one of the blast sites as was his original plan.
    2 First the police said the three underground blasts were spread over a 30-minute time period, then they said the blasts happened within seconds of each other. First they said the bomb was a crude device, then they said it was military-grade. First they said there were 7-8 blasts, then they narrowed them down to four.
    3 The Fed injected a multi-year record high amount of permanent liquidity into the money supply just two days before the bombings. This Republican financial analyst notes the injection was suspiciously well-timed to support the stock market on 7/7, when the bombing news would otherwise have pushed the market down.
    4 Security exercises were taking place at the exact same time and locations as the real bombings. Here is the video.
    5 Blair rejected requests to investigate the bombings, saying it would be a "ludicrous diversion." This mirrors Bush's initial refusal to investigate 9-11.
    6 London is the most closely monitored city in the world with the average resident appearing on 300 different security cameras around the city every day. Nonetheless, the terrorists appeared on none of the cameras and even the camera on the stricken bus was apparantly not working. Tapes similarly went missing after Oklahoma City and after the Pentagon on 9-11.
No time for more ... be back later ...
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

1 Right after the bombing, the AP reported that Scotland Yard warned the Israeli embassy immediately before the attacks, and that as a result Netanyahu did not travel to a hotel near one of the blast sites as was his original plan.
Yep this one I've heard.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

OK, humorous images of Bush? This is my favorite:

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Random, unattributed blurbs and blips:
The "terrorists" are our own governments, not muslim extremists. They use extremists to do their dirty work so they can "blame the muslims" and have an excuse to go into their homelands to steal their resources and maintain geopolitical dominance in central asia. Bush and Blair's numbers are way down, this should help bolster their popularity, and get everyone's minds off the Downing Street unpleasantness and the Iraqi fiasco. It's also very convenient timing in that that they are trying to pass that National ID card legislation in Britain and people there are on the verge of rebellion in defiance of it.
There are sooo many ways that the London bombings, and the timing of them, suit the Bush agenda. Bush’s poll numbers keep dropping. Plamegate just won’t go away and everything points to Rove. What could make the War on Terra the issue at the G8 summit and get Rove out of the news?
Did anyone else happen to notice that the timing of the explosions in London on Thursday morning was Just A Shade Too Convenient?
Then can someone please explain to me the logic of the London bombings? [...] Just this week, it was reported that England had drafted plans to pull out their troops, gone, see you later, victory for al Qaeda, right? So we are to believe then that the orchestrated response to these plans was to blow up a double decker bus, in England. Now, can you guess what the most likely response to such an event would be:
1) Pull the troops out faster
2) Galvanize public support, thus keeping the troops in Iraq
Kinslaughterer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kinslaughterer »

I have more than once considered Osama is picking up parachuted CIA care packages filled with dialysis equipment.

Conspiracies get a bad reputation because some are just outlandish but others are quite possible and many have proven to be true...
"We do not follow maps to buried treasure, and remember:X never, ever, marks the spot."
- Professor Henry Jones Jr.

"Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet."

https://crowcanyon.org/
support your local archaeologist!
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Blair I'm not convinced about, but I can believe such conspiracies of Bush...and I can just about believe Blair is lapdog enough to follow him.

I already have my "Saddam was never captured" conspiracy theory, don't give me another one.
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

I can see I've arrived just in time to start the fittings for tin foil beanies. Step right up. These cranial shielding devices are guaranteed to stop government intrusion into your thoughts and are alien telepathy proof! No more being followed by black helicopters, no more aliens spying on you while you watch TV!!! Step right up....

Personally, I'm thinking the bombings were planned and executed by either Elvis or the Loch Ness Monster. :roll:
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Kinslaughterer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kinslaughterer »

That's funny coming from the guy who thinks Bush invaded Iraq to help the children and bring freedom...

Besides the CIA has admitted to so many assassinations, mafia dealings, and crazy experiments anyone of the above could be true. Not yours but the other possiblities you poo-pooed
Last edited by Kinslaughterer on Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We do not follow maps to buried treasure, and remember:X never, ever, marks the spot."

"Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet."

Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Yeah...probably Sasquatch with an explosive vest.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Kinslaughterer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kinslaughterer »

How about an obvious conspiracy? Rove leaking Joe Wilson's wife after he shows the Niger-Uranium connection was simply false plus the Downing Street Memo; sounds like great stuff to me, almost too tranparent...

Return to “Coercri”