What's playing?

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Yes, Children of Men is on of my favorite movies of all time. Very well done.

Just finished watching Kung Fu Hustle
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Great film!
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Little Shop of Horrors for the first time. Not bad.
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I watched "Premonition." It was horrible. It was just a badly written film and it made very little sense and it sucked.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Yes it was horrid! Why didn't you take Cail's, and then my advice, in my Premonition thread??

Watched Babel with Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchette two weeks ago--I enjoyed it a hell of alot more than I thought I would. 4 international stories that merge together exceedingly well.

And this weekend I rewatched John Boorman's great The Emerald Forest with Powers Booth. One of my all times favs, very mystical and still stands up after 22 years (F I'm old! :P ) Sort of a cross between Medicine Man and At Play in the Fields of the Lord.
Last edited by danlo on Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I didn't read the "Premonition" thread... :oops: Solly! I have watched my 30th Anniversary Edition of "Jaws" twice now since I got it. I sooooo sooooo love that movie. "I think we need a bigger boat." 8O :biggrin:

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I never got into the whole Jaws thing, even tho I did swim in Peter Benchley's pool in Princeton at age 17.
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Well, not only do I love the film but it has some little sentimental things that mean a little more to me that it would to someone else. 8) First off, my Dad looks a shocking lot like Richard Dreyfuss AND he is a marine biologist IRL. :P Second, the film was filmed on Martha's Vineyard. If you remember the section of the film where the shark goes into what they are calling "The Pond" then you are looking at a bridge we used to jump off of as kids. :biggrin:

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Last night watched Korean film The Host. Funny, clever, and genuinely entertaining; the special effects were great, the big action scenes--in particular the first appearance of the mutant in the park--were perfect. The film made great use of its soundtrack, too.
It's good to see a film that gives the characters flaws and then has them fail because of them. Nothing's easily gained in this one. Great film.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I've just watched Sympathy for Mr Vengeance--This means I've now watched all three of Park Chan-Wook's "vengeance" films (though in reverse order).
I'm still holding to my opinion that Lady Vengeance (I'm coming to think that the original title suits it better: Kind-Hearted Ms. Geum-Ja) is the best of the three. Lady Vengeance and Oldboy are of equal brilliance, but there is something about the former that appeals to me a lot, and I honestly think it's one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen.
Sympathy for Mr Vengeance is different. There's no denying it is well made, that it can be compelling, and it's certainly made by someone of great talent; but it moves quite slowly, and is possibly even more understated than the other two. At times it can be a little... perplexing. A good film, but one that takes a certain state of mind to get into.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Oldboy was mentioned a few times in the "weirdest/darkest" movies thread. Not sure if it's my cup of tea.
danlo wrote: Watched Babel with Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchette two weeks ago--I enjoyed it a hell of alot more than I thought I would. 4 international stories that merge together exceedingly well.
Another movie on my must-see list. Missed it the first time around.
And this weekend I rewatched John Boorman's great The Emerald Forest with Powers Booth. One of my all times favs, very mystical and still stands up after 22 years (F I'm old! :P ) Sort of a cross between Medicine Man and At Play in the Fields of the Lord.
I've seen one of the three, Medicine Man, and was pleasantly surprised by how compelling it was, because it didn't sound like a very exciting movie from the plotline.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

All three films take place in the Amazonia rain forest-it's exquisite beauty steals the show...

Oh BTW, just watched The Last of the Mohicans on TMC...is that a killer flick or what!? Damm it simply :R Who did the music, James Horn?
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Matrixman wrote:Oldboy was mentioned a few times in the "weirdest/darkest" movies thread. Not sure if it's my cup of tea.
Oldboy is probably the most brutal of the three, and there's some dark subject matter, but I don't think it's as violent as EL keeps suggesting. The films are less about the revenge itself than the people involved in it: they're an emotional study of vengeance, of how and why these people do the things they end up doing.
Lady Vengeance is probably the least violent of the three--other than one bloody scene near the end, there is very little actual violence in the film. It's more about the emotions of Ms Geum-Ja as she goes about preparing the final act of revenge, and what the other people involved go through as well. It's worth giving it a try, to see if you like Park's style. Oldboy is as well made and has the same kinds of emotional impact (although there is some added in shock value), only it is more brutal about it.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Matrixman wrote:
danlo wrote:And this weekend I rewatched John Boorman's great The Emerald Forest with Powers Booth. One of my all times favs, very mystical and still stands up after 22 years (F I'm old! :P ) Sort of a cross between Medicine Man and At Play in the Fields of the Lord.
I've seen one of the three, Medicine Man, and was pleasantly surprised by how compelling it was, because it didn't sound like a very exciting movie from the plotline.
I love The Emerald Forest. Medicine Man too for that matter. (Yeah, I was surprised too. Much better than I originally expected.)

As for me, borrowed a Monty Python box-set this weekend. :D

--A
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Avatar wrote:As for me, borrowed a Monty Python box-set this weekend. :D

--A
YES. Haven't been able to force myself to pony up the cash to buy one myself.

Watching Aladdin (disney.) One of my favorite movies.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Probably going to watch Cowboy Bebop the movie.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Picked up Identity, In the Mouth of Madness, and The Mothman Prophecies for $5 each.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

Ooh. . . the Mothman Prophecies would make a very nice Samhain watch. :D

I have both a coupon for on-demand (must use by Wednesday), and two free rentals that will expire in the next few weeks. I just have difficulty in finding time to watch movies. *shrugs*

Hey. . . anyone watched Inland Empire by David Lynch? I heard that it was now out on DVD. . . but also heard it was long and confusing. Wondered if others had opinions. . .

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I hadn't watched TMP in quite a while, and I was surprised at how much I'd missed. There's an awful lot of stuff going on in the background.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Balon wrote:Probably going to watch Cowboy Bebop the movie.
Great pick. I think it's up there with the best Bebop episodes.

A friend and I are going out of town to see The Darjeeling Limited. I hear it's better than The Life Aquatic, which I enjoyed. Still, Wes Anderson needs to move on to new creative territory; he keeps sticking with the quirky stuff he perfected in Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums.

Return to “Flicks”