MN ~ the movie!!!

"Reflect" on Stephen Donaldson's other epic fantasy

Moderator: Cord Hurn

Torrent
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Torrent »

I don't find Ralph sexy at all, but I haven't seen that particular movie. Sorry, sister. 8)

And the whole 'tied-to-the-chair-thing' wasn't that great, you're right. I'm still wondering how Kevin could have gotten himself in such a mess. Blame it on the director/writer. :lol:

The first actor that came to my mind for Eremis was John Malkovich. But he didn't look that sexy anymore in "Being John Malkovich". And he is too old, I guess. Sorry, John.

By the way: Have we cast someone for Lebbick yet? How about...er...Kevin Spacey?

Hey, just kidding. :lol:

Yes, I think we could have a lot of fun together, Myste. :twisted:
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

I agree on the Dangerous-Liaisons-John-Malkovich front. DLJM would have been excellent as Eremis. The Being-John-Malkovich-John-Malkovich is just a little too middle-aged, I think, and doesn't really have that animal magnetism.

Lebbick's a toughy....hmmm..
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
champion
Servant of the Land

Screen play?

Post by champion »

Hi,

Forgive my ignorance, but I've just joined this website and haven't been able to find much of the info I'm looking for.

I see mention of a Mordant's Need movie, casting call, etc., but what's the reality? Is there a screen play written? If so, by who? Is there a definitely casting call date? If none of these are true yet, what's the speculation on when the making of an MN movie might get started?

I seriously think that with the demonstration of the successful transfer of the Lord of the Rings to the screen, that the technology for special effects now exists that will certainly do a Mordant's Need movie justice.

I'm looking forward to any thoughtful replies...

Regards,
The Champion
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

What about thoughtless ones? ;)

As far as I know, no progress has been made, or is likely to be made in the near future regarding a MN movie.

This thread is, (as far as I know, as I haven't actually read it), merely idle speculation and indulgence.

However, there is much talk about a Chronicles of TC movie, for which you'll find the latest info on in the forum here of the same name.

Apparently, IIRC, options have been taken, and the prospective screenwriter is a Member here, and has made some good, reassuring posts about what will happen when (if) they can get a studio to take it up.

I doubt that a MN movie is likely at least until the Chrons are a critically acclaimed movie. ;)

Oh yeah, welcome to the Watch. :)

Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

Well said, Avatar! :D

Welcome, champion! :D Come join us in the Chrons movie thread for rampant speculation and deliciously repetitve arguments about the possibility of a TC film trilogy and what we want it to look like!

Alas, this Mordant's Need movie thread is just wishful thinking, but it's still fun. I hope you'll join in the dissections in Casting the Augury (we're nearly done, but there's been some good discussions there in the past)!

:welcome:
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
lazarus
Servant of the Land

Post by lazarus »

Okay, I've been thinking about this for a long time, and here are a few casting choices I've liked:

Castellan Lebbick: Patrick Stewart. Or, if he ends up playing Joyse, Patrick O'Quinn.

Havelock: Peter O'Toole (if we can get this filmed before he dies)

(On that note, I wanted Richard Harris as Joyce, but we can't have that now. Sad.)

Terisa: I always had a young Daryl Hannah in mind, but lately I'm liking Nicole Kidman. She doesn't have to be that young, does she?

Master Eremis: He's gotta be tall and kinda goofy looking, but also have some charisma. Jeff Goldblum. Otherwise, Clancy Brown, who doesn't bring the goofy, but brings a lot more of the menacing danger.

Darsint: Vin Diesel, of course.

Prince Kragen: This one's new. I had always seen him as Timothy Dalton, based on the similarities between this character and the Prince he played in The Lion In Winter. Too old now, plus there's someone better who matched him physically.

Naveen Andrews, the man who plays Sayid in the series "Lost".

i.imdb.com/mptv1.gif

I still can't really picture Myste or Elega.

The Domne should be Liam Neeson.

The Perdon: Sean Connery? Why not?

Vagel: Patrick Bauchau

Gart: Ray Park, although this may be a cliche at this point. Sorta like casting Patrick Stewart in anything. :-D

Finally, the most important one:

Geraden must be played by Nick Stahl. Anyone who watched Carnivale would see it. He basically played Geraden for a great part of that series. Someone who has incredible power, but forces around him are conspiring to keep him from realising it. Then, when he realises how much power he really has, his entire demeanour changes. He'd be perfect, imo.

More as I think of them.
Vector
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Vector »

lazarus wrote:Okay, I've been thinking about this for a long time, and here are a few casting choices I've liked:

Castellan Lebbick: Patrick Stewart. Or, if he ends up playing Joyse, Patrick O'Quinn.

Havelock: Peter O'Toole (if we can get this filmed before he dies)

(On that note, I wanted Richard Harris as Joyce, but we can't have that now. Sad.)

Terisa: I always had a young Daryl Hannah in mind, but lately I'm liking Nicole Kidman. She doesn't have to be that young, does she?

Master Eremis: He's gotta be tall and kinda goofy looking, but also have some charisma. Jeff Goldblum. Otherwise, Clancy Brown, who doesn't bring the goofy, but brings a lot more of the menacing danger.

Darsint: Vin Diesel, of course.

Prince Kragen: This one's new. I had always seen him as Timothy Dalton, based on the similarities between this character and the Prince he played in The Lion In Winter. Too old now, plus there's someone better who matched him physically.

Naveen Andrews, the man who plays Sayid in the series "Lost".

i.imdb.com/mptv1.gif

I still can't really picture Myste or Elega.

The Domne should be Liam Neeson.

The Perdon: Sean Connery? Why not?

Vagel: Patrick Bauchau

Gart: Ray Park, although this may be a cliche at this point. Sorta like casting Patrick Stewart in anything. :-D

Finally, the most important one:

Geraden must be played by Nick Stahl. Anyone who watched Carnivale would see it. He basically played Geraden for a great part of that series. Someone who has incredible power, but forces around him are conspiring to keep him from realising it. Then, when he realises how much power he really has, his entire demeanour changes. He'd be perfect, imo.

More as I think of them.
Excellent, Lazarus. Really good casting choices for some of those characters. Patrick Stewart as Lebbick and Peter O'Toole as Havelock are perfect !! Richard Harris would certainly have made a good Joyce.

I do not see Nicole Kidman as Terisa - maybe Julianne Moore.

Catherine Zeta Jones would play a good Elega and Cate Blanchett would make a good Myste.

I do not see Eremis as goofy at all. I do not have a clear choice for him, maybe Geoffrey Rush - he is able to play just the right amount of decadence.

I think Christopher Lee would make a great Vagel.
"When you look into the abyss, the abyss looks back into you" - Nietzsche
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Peter O'Toole chasing Christopher Lee around!? Priceless! "I'm coming for you Vagel!!!" LOL, LOL
fall far and well Pilots!
lazarus
Servant of the Land

Post by lazarus »

Thanks, Vector. By 'goofy' I meant physically. It's almost as if he had a Glamour on Terisa, and when she slips out of it, she can see he's not actually that physically attractive, just very charismatic.

I'm very, very fixated on Naveen Andrews as Kragen, btw.

Christopher Lee as Vagel! Whee! He and O'Toole would just chew up the scenery, fun fun fun!

The Patrick Stewart=Lebbick thing came to mind during one of my reads. I could just see him with that purple headband, bounding down the corridor yelling "I am loyal to my king!" It just clicked and wouldn't go away. Plus I'd like to see him play someone a bit less noble for a change.
Vector
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Vector »

lazarus wrote:Thanks, Vector. By 'goofy' I meant physically. It's almost as if he had a Glamour on Terisa, and when she slips out of it, she can see he's not actually that physically attractive, just very charismatic.
This is why I chose Geoffrey Rush, he is not exactly all that attractive, but his rendition of the Marquis de Sade in the movie "Quills" was excellent and quite in line with how I image Eremis.
"When you look into the abyss, the abyss looks back into you" - Nietzsche
lazarus
Servant of the Land

Post by lazarus »

Oh, Rush would be fantastic!
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

I think the idea of Naveen Andrews for Kragen is brilliant. Andrews also played "Kip" in The English Patient, and is a big Bollywood heartthrob--he was in Kama Sutra: A Tale of Love (not nearly as dirty as it ought to be, sorry guys), and Bride and Prejudice
Torrent
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Torrent »

I saw "Garden State" today. Can anyone see Zach Braff as Geraden? In GS he is more like a male Terisa but apart from that...
Torrent
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Torrent »

Yes, Rush is an exellent choice! But maybe a little too old?
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

George Carlin auditions for Havelock Image "Balls of a goat!!!":P
fall far and well Pilots!
Tjol
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Tjol »

Myste wrote:Lebbick's a toughy....hmmm..
Russel Crowe? Bruce Willis?

maybe Tim Roth, though Roth might overdo the sadistic side of Lebbick? While the rough side of Lebbick is important, so is portraying the rational apologetic fellow that tries to discourage Artagel (eeek I'm already forgetting character names :oops: ) from getting involved in protecting him.

edit: fixed the name I forgot
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

Hmmm, i like the Bruce Willis idea for Lebbick. He is old and craggy now, and despite some people's opinion, the man CAN act! I like it alot!
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
H T Murgatroid
Servant of the Land

movie

Post by H T Murgatroid »

I believe it would be a better movie if it was done by the same people who did Dune and Children of Dune for SciFi channel and expanded into a miniseries.

Although, when i think it over, a lot of the book(s) really just consists of Terisa arguing with herself. If you cut all of that out which would be hard to show anyway it might make longer movie say 120-160 min. Certainly it couldn't be done as a 90 min disney flick.

I'd stay away from typically "hollywood" faces and go with mostly english, canadian, australian etc.

How about Michael Palin as Havelock?

Eric Idle would make an interesting Quillon.

Alec Newman would make an interesting Geraden

Alice Krige could be a very convincing queen Madin, especially if Patrick Stewart were to play Joyce although i think he'd be a better Termigan or Lebbick.

I've always pictured Max Von Sydow as the Perdon.

To break my own rule and pick a hollywood face, though, i think David Duchovny would be a pretty good Eremis.
Hello
Elfgirl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Elfgirl »

Hey y'all!

Normally I have my 'casting' calls in the "Gap" discussion, but couldn't resist jumping on here (I loved the MN series too)

Has anyone mentioned Nicolas Cage as a potential Eremis? There's a guy who can be magnetic yet uber-sleazy. Or Clive Owen? Alan Rickman is a good choice, btw... :biggrin:

Willem Dafoe as Lebbick. Or maybe Richard Dean Anderson!

Vin Diesel as Gart! :lol:

Pity Richard Harris is dead - he'd have been brilliant as King Joyse. Ditto Marlon Brando as the Tor.

Anthony Hopkins as Havelock.

Hugh Laurie as the Perdon.

Audrey Tatou as Terisa (if she can lose the French accent!)
ImageImageImage
"Right away would be good. Right now would be better"
-- Nick Succorso

OK, so what's the speed of dark?- Larry the Cable Guy
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

Audrey Tatou as Terisa (if she can lose the French accent!)
Holy Spit! That's a GREAT choice, elfgirl! WOw! And leave the French accent. Not only would it make her seem even more like an outside, but it is so damn sexy!

:biggrin:
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~

Return to “Mordant's Need”