2014 NFL Whipping Post

Baseball, Basketball, Footbal, Soccer, Curling, Poker, ect...

Moderators: Lord Mhoram, StevieG, hierachy

SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Well it came down to that. Ryan threw an interception..... really wasnt his fault, Harry Douglas slipped and that threw the timing of the play off and William Gay took it to the house. End score 20 to 27. However, the Falcons settled twice in the endzone. You HAVE to get touchdowns, you cant win with Field Goals. What a disappointing year.

GB had their worst outting yet.... Wish they would have done that last week, LOL
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

as bad as the Saints have been this year, they can still win the division and host a play-off game. much muttering from the pundits about changing the play-off format because of this. and a winning team will be held out of the play-offs while the NFC South winner will either be a .500 team, or below that.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

sgt.null wrote:as bad as the Saints have been this year, they can still win the division and host a play-off game. much muttering from the pundits about changing the play-off format because of this. and a winning team will be held out of the play-offs while the NFC South winner will either be a .500 team, or below that.
I dont see how they can change it. If they did, you would have entire divisions tanking on purpose on a race for better picks. Its that 'hope' to be able to get a chance at the big game that keeps teams playing hard even when they have losing seasons.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

SoulBiter wrote: If they did, you would have entire divisions tanking on purpose on a race for better picks. Its that 'hope' to be able to get a chance at the big game that keeps teams playing hard even when they have losing seasons.
Huh...I don't know how true that is. It MIGHT happen, cuz people can behave in funny ways...
Anectodal/intuition [based on quite a lot of experience, though]---athletes don't act that way, generally. They want to win, fuck the odds, fuck the future. Of course there are exceptions...but you'd have to get several whole teams of players to agree. [or at least key players---and they'd have to be able to fake playing hard well enough to fool the rest of the team]

Statistically, not so great an idea either---and nowadays almost all teams have serious statistical peeps, and tend to listen to them.
There are good reasons for wanting/needing the first pick, or first five.
But being one of the worst teams in football is not one of the good reasons.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

well the Saints went ahead and lost. so the Falcons or Panthers will win the division.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Its a good year when the Falcons sweep the Saints. It made a poor season feel so much better. Falcons are finally playing some good ball.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

at least my home town patriots are rolling.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Falcons lost horribly and embarrassing game with the Panthers. This morning the Falcons turn the page by releasing Head Coach Mike Smith.

Arthur Blank basically just said in a live report said that they have not contacted anyone or made any phone calls, regardless of what the media is saying. He told the media that were in the Press Conference, "but I understand that when you cant find real news, you make up news"
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

yes Mr. Blank, it is best to wait until all the good coaches are hired. then make a move.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

sgt.null wrote:yes Mr. Blank, it is best to wait until all the good coaches are hired. then make a move.
Hee...why not?
I didn't know this before, just read an article about it on "morning after Tuesday."
Generally speaking, changing coaches [if you are terrible] not only doesn't make you better by itself---terrible teams that get new coaches actually improve LESS in the next season or two AT LEAST than the horrible ones who stick with the same coach.
Apparently mostly because the folk who hire coaches...particularly those that tend to hire bad coaches...both can't tell the difference between a good and a bad coach and, because of that, interfere with the coaches authority/decisions, thereby making the coach seem [almost always] worse than they are, or [once in a great while] better than they are.

The reasons are debatable, but the numbers aren't---if you are awful you'll probably get better no matter what, but changing coaches will make you "less better."
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Well damn, I didn't expect the Ravens' win last night. Looking forward to beating the Patriots again next week.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Nothing better than seeing the Steelers lose. When the Steelers came to Atlanta, their fans won them no good sportsmanship medals or friends. They were obnoxious to the extreme. Almost as bad as Saints fans when we play them in Atlanta.

So any time the Steelers can lose.. its all good.

I went to a Ravens game earlier this year and they beat the Falcons. The fans were having a good time with the win but they were not obnoxious in the win. When it was time to leave, I shook alot of hands and we all wished each others teams luck in the rest of the season.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

We've got our share of obnoxious fans, but I think we do ok.

You want to see out-of-control? Go see a game in the Black Hole in Oakland.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Refs gave one to the Cowboys...most obvious blatent no call with a flag on the ground. How an official could pick that up and look themselves in the mirror is beyond me
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

On top of that, you can see Dez Bryant out on the field, w/o helmet, arguing to a ref. Last I checked, that's 15yd penalty. Dallas got away with 2 on 1 play.

People saying 1 call doesn't make the game, yea, of course not. But it sure can change it.

Course, Lions being the Lions, they respond to adversity w/a 5yd punt. 1 playoff win in 58 years.

Here's to hoping the Pats finally beat Ravens. I don't have high hopes, it's like Pats vs Giants in playoffs, don't bet on Pats.
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

Cybrweez wrote:I'm curious about year 2 of Chip Kelly. We'll see.

Want to see how Clowney and Watt are together. That could be almost unfair, if Clowney really is that good. Of course, who's throwing the ball (and I saw headline about Andre Johnson saying he's not sure he wants to stick around).
Year 2 not so great. They beat up and scored bunches of points against average or worse defenses. When they played good ones, they looked really bad.

Clowney was a bust, but Watt, what a beast. I think he should be MVP, I know QB is more important, but how do you say Rodgers is more valuable than Romo, Brady? Watt is in another tier from every other defensive player. Not easy choice tho, I know.
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Watt's an animal. I'd sure love to see him in a Ravens uniform.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Cybrweez wrote:
Clowney was a bust,.
There was a lot of speculation that he would be a bust but he had so much upside that no one was going to pass on a chance to draft him.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I'm concerned about the upcoming Broncos-Colts game. Peyton had a rough 2nd half of the season. Add to that the difficulty in beating the same team 3 times in 1 season, and it could be a bad day for Denver.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Oh I fully expect the Colts to beat Denver.

Return to “Sports”