Feeding the poor or Enabling homelessness?

Archive From The 'Tank
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Rawedge Rim wrote:
I understand that there will always be the poor and homeless. So why doesn't every church have a soup line, even if it's only a couple of sandwichs, then an old guy doesn't have to set up shop on the beach to do the same job. It's one of the basic tenets of christianity.
Because its more efficient and less wasteful to feed people in a common area than it is otherwise. Example, the Church I go to is on Westridge Pkwy. There are zero residential homes and zero homeless people there. Even if we had sandwiches available, no one would come to get them.

But the Presbeterian Church in town has the room and the parking and is more common to the homeless. Our Church and other Churches supports their Church, both financially and with people and logistics. We also support another soup kitchen called "In His name Ministries" and we are not the only Church or private group that supports it.

I have Pastor friend that just set up a Church in a run down trailer park in Locust Grove. Not only that, they sold their house and bought another (less nice) that is closer to there so they can be in the area where they are needed the most. They have Church and feed the poor right there in the trailer park they set up Church in. That's just one of many many outreaches that go on across the US every day that get no press and do so the right way. Without waving their banner of hey "look what we are doing".
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Rawedge Rim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rawedge Rim »

SoulBiter wrote:
Rawedge Rim wrote:
I understand that there will always be the poor and homeless. So why doesn't every church have a soup line, even if it's only a couple of sandwichs, then an old guy doesn't have to set up shop on the beach to do the same job. It's one of the basic tenets of christianity.
Because its more efficient and less wasteful to feed people in a common area than it is otherwise. Example, the Church I go to is on Westridge Pkwy. There are zero residential homes and zero homeless people there. Even if we had sandwiches available, no one would come to get them.

But the Presbeterian Church in town has the room and the parking and is more common to the homeless. Our Church and other Churches supports their Church, both financially and with people and logistics. We also support another soup kitchen called "In His name Ministries" and we are not the only Church or private group that supports it.

I have Pastor friend that just set up a Church in a run down trailer park in Locust Grove. Not only that, they sold their house and bought another (less nice) that is closer to there so they can be in the area where they are needed the most. They have Church and feed the poor right there in the trailer park they set up Church in. That's just one of many many outreaches that go on across the US every day that get no press and do so the right way. Without waving their banner of hey "look what we are doing".
and I'm certainly not doubting that. But then I look at the 1st Baptist of Atlanta\Jacksonville\Nashville\fill in your city, and I see churches that take up entire city blocks, a pastor that makes 300k, an army of deacons, and yet I hear very little from the mega-churches about the poor, or the homeless.
“One accurate measurement is worth a
thousand expert opinions.”
- Adm. Grace Hopper

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

I'm thinking we are off course here a bit which is normal for the tank. It would be nice if the Church could feed, clothe and house ALL the poor, but its beyond their means. Here is why....

People don't tithe anymore and over-all giving is way down. Only 4% of Church goers tithe to 10%. Most give nothing and some give just a few dollars (typically because the plate comes around and they don't want to look like they aren't giving anything). Add up all the tithing and giving and you find that on average the giving is more like 2% overall. By the time they pay what bills they have, there is much less left over to do the work of the Church.

People don't get involved. Its abysmal that you can go to a Church of over 1000 regular members and yet the same 25 to 100 people volunteer on a regular basis to do anything. That's about 2.5% to 10% involvement. People want to go, sit in a pew, hear a good sermon, sing some tunes and then go about their business.

Now, if even 8% of people tithed and 30% of people got involved, you would find that the Church might be able to take on more of these things and leave the govt out of it entirely.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Which suggests to me that churches don't necessarily have the resources either.

--A

Return to “Coercri”