What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Funny, I just finished reading The Wise Man's Fear and was peeking in for any other suggestions.

All in all, I enjoyed the books. I was ready to throw the first book away (passive voice on the first page?), but kept plugging away. It eventually got better. The writing was actually fairly decent in the second book, even if the plotting took a turn for the worse.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Sheriff!!!
:wave:
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Hey, Syl! :wave:

They always come home. (*sniff*)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Hahaha, nice to see you around Syl. It's almost always about the world-building for me, so the writing itself didn't really bother me at all. One more book to finish that seems pretty optimistic to me though.

Anyway, reading The Swords of Night and Day again.

--A
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Hiya, Syl!!! 8)

What I'm reading.

Have I mentioned I'm reading Cibola Burn? I may have since I'm reading it for the second time. :)

Cibola Burn is book 4 of The Expanse series. The first time through I was engrossed in a "can't put it down till I get to the end" way. Than I went back and did a re-read of the previous 3 books. The physical books are fat, but they are a very quick read and lots of fun.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Hi [Syl]!

I just finished Wolfblade by Jennifer Fallon. Not bad, but I probably won't read any more in the series, it just seems like I've read this kind of story too many times before.

Hi Ms. Mary, I tried to start the Expanse series (on your recommendation :lol:), but I couldn't get into them. Not sure why, maybe some combination of excessive action sequences and characters that didn't grab me. I'll give it a while and have another run at them.

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

ussusimiel wrote: Hi Ms. Mary, I tried to start the Expanse series (on your recommendation :lol:), but I couldn't get into them. Not sure why, maybe some combination of excessive action sequences and characters that didn't grab me. I'll give it a while and have another run at them.

u.
Well, I'm sure they're not everyone's cup of tea. But I enjoyed them. There are a couple of novellas available as ebooks, also. And I enjoyed those as well.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
Wildling
Giantfriend

Post by Wildling »

I've been listening to the Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell (actually a pen name for John G. Hemry). I'm about to start book 3, Courageous, and so far I'm very much into it.

Post by Avatar »

Bookless, so re-reading JK Rowling. :D

Read the first two this weekend, onto Prisoner of Azkaban now.

--A
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Way behind on my reading for the Hugo Awards ballot (which closes on Thursday), so I'm working my way fast as I can through those.

Got done with the Novelette category, and it's a really tough choice between Mary Robinette Kowal's The Lady Astronaut of Mars, Aliette de Bodard's The Waiting Stars, and Ted Chiang's The Truth of Fact, The Truth of Feeling.

(Short story was slightly easier to decide: I'm voting for The Water That Falls on You From Nowhere by John Chu, with Sofia Samatar's Selkie Stories Are For Losers in a close 2nd.)

I also read one of the Novellas, Charles Stross' Equoid, which was an interesting Lovecraft-inspired piece about unicorns.

(Slightly surprised that every story I mentioned here is available freely online. Though maybe that's how they're the ones that got nominated.)
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Back to reading Doctor Who Eighth Doctor Adventures. Getting towards the end of the series, one book leads into another, so kind of hard to stop reading. ;)

I want resolution! And I have to keep reading to get it (hopefully!).
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Today's reading was another Hugo-nominated novella: Wakulla Springs by Andy Duncan & Ellen Klages. It's not exactly a science fiction or fantasy story, although there's a hint of it. It's mostly about race in Florida during the mid 20th century, shown through characters living at Wakulla Springs where they filmed some Tarzan movies and the Creature from the Black Lagoon. It's pretty good.
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

I've been to Wakulla Springs. But I haven't read the book. Sounds interesting.
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor

Post by Avatar »

Goblet of Fire.

--A
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Bah, I just bought an Omnibus of books (for my Kindle) only to realize that I read the books individually a couple of years ago... LOL :lol:
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Well, I recommend everyone buys the omnibus of The Pipe Woman Chronicles, regardless of whether the individual books were already read or not.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Menolly wrote:Well, I recommend everyone buys the omnibus of The Pipe Woman Chronicles, regardless of whether the individual books were already read or not.
:hearts:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/

Post by Avatar »

Order of the Phoenix

--A
Wildling
Giantfriend

Post by Wildling »

Wildling wrote:I've been listening to the Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell (actually a pen name for John G. Hemry). I'm about to start book 3, Courageous, and so far I'm very much into it.
1/4 of the way through book 4, Valiant, and still very much into it. Though the romantic angle is starting to really get irritating.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Last night's read was the last one I was reading for the Novella Hugo Award, Six-Gun Snow White by Catherynne Valente. And it's the one that's getting my nod for the award, with Wakulla Springs in second.

This one's not online for me to link, but the ebook is available for purchase through the major online stores.

While I'm on the subject, this is what my top selections will be for the fiction categories on the Hugo ballot, which closes Thursday:

Novel - Ancillary Justice, Ann Leckie
Novella - Six-Gun Snow White, Catherynne M Valente
Novelette - The Lady Astronaut of Mars, Mary Robinette Kowal
Short Story - The Water That Falls On You From Nowhere, John Chu

There's at least one item in each category I chose not to read, due to the circumstances that caused them to be on the ballot and knowing my own tastes.

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”