What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

DHG is definitely one of my favourites. MaddAddam arrived, but the GF has decreed that she gets the first read, so I'm waiting. :D

--A
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Fist and Faith wrote:I was fairly amazed by the number of people in the fb Malazan group who didn't care for DG. I've read books 1-4 three times. Each time I read DG, I think there couldn't be a better book in the world. Then I read Memories of Ice, and have to revise that. Still, I am stunned by the glory of DG every time.
DG was my second favorite Malazan. It almost rivaled some of the Gap in terms of edge-of-your-seat, ripping-your-heart-out content.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Avatar wrote:DHG is definitely one of my favourites. MaddAddam arrived, but the GF has decreed that she gets the first read, so I'm waiting. :D

--A
What, she couldn't wait half an hour for you to finish it?
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Well, being a fan of both Mappo and Icarium (Not to mention Karsa!!), I cannot complain that much about DG, but the first two volumes were a struggle for me as well mainly due to the massive setting. GOT did in fact suffer from uninteresting plotlines. Nonetheless, tastes vary and it may be better to cease struggling if the prose doesn't hit one the right way. I cannot for instance stomach chick lit.

Humor does surface in the series, but it's either dry/sarcastic or earthy à lá Scandinavia. :twisted: All those Tehol/Bugg scenes, Karsa/Samar, Ublala, voyeur chickens...I'm not revealing the character of an ootooloo, but let us just say that I exploded into hysterical laughter in a crowded bus...
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I'm Murrin wrote:
Avatar wrote:DHG is definitely one of my favourites. MaddAddam arrived, but the GF has decreed that she gets the first read, so I'm waiting. :D

--A
:lol:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Frostheart Grueburn wrote:
Humor does surface in the series, but it's either dry/sarcastic or earthy à lá Scandinavia. :twisted: All those Tehol/Bugg scenes, Karsa/Samar, Ublala, voyeur chickens...I'm not revealing the character of an ootooloo, but let us just say that I exploded into hysterical laughter in a crowded bus...
I don't know how Tehol and Bugg stayed so hilarious when they were constantly and absurdly over the top, but they were awesome. And the ootooloo, and the scene where.... :shifty:

I'm rereading MaddAddam. Still think the first of the trilogy was my favorite, but Zeb is one of my favorite characters and I enjoy his PoVs.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Post by Avatar »

Fist and Faith wrote:
I'm Murrin wrote:
Avatar wrote:MaddAddam arrived, but the GF has decreed that she gets the first read, so I'm waiting. :D
:lol:
Hahaha, it's ok, she's done with it now, (only took her a day) so that's what I'm reading. And I read Pratchett's The Last Hero while I waited.

Tehol and Bugg were among my favourite characters, and basically the only redeeming features of MT/RG. :D

--A

Post by Avatar »

So, I quite enjoyed MaddAddam, although, as with all 3 of the books, I felt it didn't have a great start. It improved a lot though.

Now I'm reading Esselmont's Assail, which I'd actually forgotten about until somebody here mentioned it recently. :D

--A
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Glad you liked MaddAddam, Av. :)

I've started Ancillary Justice. But I'm reading it in fits and starts, as I've started working on my own new book, and I also have a knitting project to distract me from *that*. :roll: I keep having to remind myself, when I pick up the book again, that not every character is female. I may either have to re-read it, or start over once I clear my plate...

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

I liked Ancillary Justice, but it really didn't start getting gripping, for me, till the last third of the book. I'm currently re-reading it. I've heard that the sequel, Ancillary Sword, is even better than the first book.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

A Clash of Kings finally came in from my hold at the library. About three chapters in so far.

Post by Avatar »

Iain M Banks, Matter. This leave just one book and I'll have all the Culture novels.

--A

Post by Avatar »

The Knight by Gene Wolfe.

--A
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Two thirds of the way through Deadhouse Gates and there was abit I actually enjoyed; an actual battle between humans that was only slightly influenced by demons, spirits and gods!

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Just go read a history book! :lol: Malazan has some amazing humans, but it's way riddled with demons, spirits, and gods!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Post by Avatar »

So, I'm doing it. :D Full Malazan re-read. Finished Night of Knives yesterday, now I'm on Gardens of the Moon.

--A
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Fist and Faith wrote:Just go read a history book! :lol:
Ha, Ha! I hate history, that's why I read fantasy! :lol:
Fist and Faith wrote:Malazan has some amazing humans, but it's way riddled with demons, spirits, and gods!
Riddled, Fiddled, Dancered, Whiskyjacked, Tattersailed, Kulped, Duikered and Crokused with humans I can just about put up with.

Inundated, overwhelmed, doused, soused, soaked, impregnated, pressure-treated, imbued and stained with enough gods and demons for the whole of Fantasy itself, never mind one series! :biggrin:

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

:LOLS: I particularly like the word Whickeyjacked.

Av, you have no idea how jealous I am. It would take me more than a year to read the whole thing, during which I wouldn't be able to read anything else, or do anything other than the necessities of life. I'm tempted, because I know I'm not going to find anything better to read anyway. Still, it's nice to find different things, which I wouldn't be able to do for at least a year.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Post by Avatar »

I tell you, the more often I read GotM, the better I appreciate it. So much of it just doesn't make sense until you actually know the whole story. But when you do, so much of the book is foreshadowing. :D

--A
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I've started reading Genevieve Valentine's The Girls at the Kingfisher Club. Although I don't think it's actually SFF; it's a retelling of a fairy tale, but seems to be a straight historical piece. It's based on The Twelve Dancing Princesses, as a story of twelve sisters in 1920s New York who are kept hidden away by their father but sneak out at night to go dancing in speakeasies.

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”