Drowning = Pregnancy???

Archive From The 'Tank
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

I must point out that you can, indeed, get a sexually transmitted disease whilst being abstinent. Blood transfusion is one-way. Someone spiting into your McDonalds sandwich is another.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Rawedge Rim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rawedge Rim »

Orlion wrote:I must point out that you can, indeed, get a sexually transmitted disease whilst being abstinent. Blood transfusion is one-way. Someone spiting into your McDonalds sandwich is another.
Yeah, and if someone stuffs a nuclear weapon inside a Barbie doll, a child can find themselves at the center of ground zero, but it's not real high on the probability scale.
“One accurate measurement is worth a
thousand expert opinions.”
- Adm. Grace Hopper

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Rawedge Rim wrote:
Orlion wrote:I must point out that you can, indeed, get a sexually transmitted disease whilst being abstinent. Blood transfusion is one-way. Someone spiting into your McDonalds sandwich is another.
Yeah, and if someone stuffs a nuclear weapon inside a Barbie doll, a child can find themselves at the center of ground zero, but it's not real high on the probability scale.
Higher than you think. Much higher than you think.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Rawedge Rim wrote: I will say however, that however distasteful you may find "Abstinance Only" sex education, it has one absolutely truthfull assertion that cannot be gainsaid: If one reframes from engaging in sexual intercourse, one will not become pregnant, or become infected with a sexually transmitted disease."

Any other solution is a roll of the dice.
It can accurately assert the first one [the std one is problematic].
What they CANNOT assert without being demonstrably wrong is that "abstinence only" education lowers the rates of unwanted pregnancy, STD's, or abortions...because, in fact, that would be false.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Vraith wrote:
What they CANNOT assert ... is that "abstinence only" education lowers the rates of unwanted pregnancy, STD's, or abortions...
Because people will have sex regardless of what you tell them. :D Just like they'll do drugs.

--A
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

i'd rather practical sexual education. the abstinence only school of thought people are deluded.

and it goes to show that big daddy gov't should not be in the business of sex ed.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

But abstinence is: 1. possible, 2. healthy, 3. effective in drastically reducing chances of pregnancy or STDs, and 4. provides no financial gain to anyone: which is probably the main reason it is so unpopular.

Technically, it's not an STD if it's not transmitted by having sex, ya know. :P
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

deer of the dawn wrote:4. provides no financial gain to anyone: which is probably the main reason it is so unpopular.
Except the folks who came up with the idea of purity rings, of course.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I'm Murrin wrote:
deer of the dawn wrote:4. provides no financial gain to anyone: which is probably the main reason it is so unpopular.
Except the folks who came up with the idea of purity rings, of course.
Which, of course, are not required to stay chaste.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Well I didn't say it made money from abstinence by default. All beside the point anyway, I didn't mean anything by throwing it in there.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

What about Cold Showers, Inc. ?
Rawedge Rim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rawedge Rim »

How about we do the responsible thing:

1. If you can't afford birth control, don't have sex.

2. If you can't seem to do the above, then don't kill the one innocent party in this scenario.
“One accurate measurement is worth a
thousand expert opinions.”
- Adm. Grace Hopper

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

deer of the dawn wrote:But abstinence is: 1. possible, 2. healthy, 3. effective in drastically reducing chances of pregnancy or STDs, and 4. provides no financial gain to anyone: which is probably the main reason it is so unpopular.

where it goes wrong, imho, is when the gov't promotes abstinence only. i'd rather have kids using birth control than getting abortions.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

sgt.null wrote:
deer of the dawn wrote:But abstinence is: 1. possible, 2. healthy, 3. effective in drastically reducing chances of pregnancy or STDs, and 4. provides no financial gain to anyone: which is probably the main reason it is so unpopular.

where it goes wrong, imho, is when the gov't promotes abstinence only. i'd rather have kids using birth control than getting abortions.
Null's got a point (ouch). Abstinence-only is a poor way to go, but there's certainly nothing wrong with teaching (and stressing) abstinence. It's the only foolproof way.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Cail wrote:
sgt.null wrote:

Null's got a point (ouch). Abstinence-only is a poor way to go, but there's certainly nothing wrong with teaching (and stressing) abstinence. It's the only foolproof way.
Oh, absolutely. If I had a 12 -19 year old Daughter I would want to put a chastity belt on her, and I would do my best to reason with her and put a psychological one on her, until she really did have a worthy relationship towards the future and that she was emotionally ready for it (And hopefully in a stable committed relationship), but preaching Abstinence by itself is Not Helpful unfortunately. Because, regardless the values you try to instill in your kids, some (if not most) will rebel or fail to achieve your high ideals, and I sure as HELL, don't want to hear from her, that she couldn't hold out and abstain, but, she got pregnant, because she didn't use Birth Control because it's importance wasn't drilled into her (She only had the options of Being a Virgin or a Scarlet Woman) :cry:
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

wayfriend wrote:What about Cold Showers, Inc. ?
That's not a bad idea but autoeroticism is better. Lots of people may frown on that practice but it is certainly better than the alternative.
sindatur wrote:Oh, absolutely. If I had a 12 -19 year old Daughter I would want to put a chastity belt on her, and I would do my best to reason with her and put a psychological one on her, until she really did have a worthy relationship towards the future and that she was emotionally ready for it (And hopefully in a stable committed relationship), but preaching Abstinence by itself is Not Helpful unfortunately. Because, regardless the values you try to instill in your kids, some (if not most) will rebel or fail to achieve your high ideals, and I sure as HELL, don't want to hear from her, that she couldn't hold out and abstain, but, she got pregnant, because she didn't use Birth Control because it's importance wasn't drilled into her (She only had the options of Being a Virgin or a Scarlet Woman) :cry:
Our daughter is 11. My wife has already decided that she will be taught abstinence first but, because teenagers are teenagers--and we were teenagers ourselves once so we know--that birth control options will be discussed. Naturally, I will have similar talks with our son as he gets older. The discussions I dread are the ones with the boys who will want to date our daughter--if it seems like the relationship is getting serious I am going to want to know if he is responsible enough to keep control of himself or, at worst, if he is carrying a condom and that he knows how to use it. Yes, that should be his parents' responsibility but I dare not take the risk that they, too, are irresponsible.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

Cail wrote:
sgt.null wrote:

Null, that's a straw man. The govt will NEVER promote abstinence-only. But it would be great if they would promote abstinence at all.

You know, way back when schools taught abstinence only, there were lots less pregnancies and STDs. Funny how that works.

And I was thinking that it is funny no one's come up with a hi-tech chastity belt to make zillions off of... :P
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

deer of the dawn wrote:
Cail wrote:
sgt.null wrote: where it goes wrong, imho, is when the gov't promotes abstinence only. i'd rather have kids using birth control than getting abortions.
Null, that's a straw man. The govt will NEVER promote abstinence-only. But it would be great if they would promote abstinence at all.

You know, way back when schools taught abstinence only, there were lots less pregnancies and STDs. Funny how that works.

And I was thinking that it is funny no one's come up with a hi-tech chastity belt to make zillions off of... :P
Well yes and no. There have been localized pushes for abstinence-only sex education, but they don't gain much traction, and they'll never be typical.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

deer - it would be nice to go back to a saner time. but hat isn't going to happen. too much info, too much world affecting our kid's choices. too much time that kids spend unsupervised.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Cail wrote:
deer of the dawn wrote:
Cail wrote:Null's got a point (ouch). Abstinence-only is a poor way to go, but there's certainly nothing wrong with teaching (and stressing) abstinence. It's the only foolproof way.

Well yes and no. There have been localized pushes for abstinence-only sex education, but they don't gain much traction, and they'll never be typical.
I don't know...IIRC, there is 50 or 100 million a year in funding for it from the Feds...something close to 2 billion spend on it the last 20 years.
But, as a matter of fact:
Teen pregnancy is at a record low, has been dropping since the late 80's or early 90's.
The states with the highest rates require Abstinence-primary. The states with the lowest rates do not.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.

Return to “Coercri”