How do you feel today?

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Hey, c'mon, Menolly and ali deserve better than that.

There's nothing "easy" about quantum physics, to the extent that I understand it. Which is to say, not enough to really understand it, but enough to know that it seems quite glib to call it "easy."

CMJ, yeah, "slave bitch" sounds about right. Quite the attitude from your boss. Compassion and greed just don't go together in the business world, do they?
Kaydene
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Kaydene »

Infelice wrote:
Best wishes to Kaydene. Hope youre feeling better sometime soon.
And you, Infelice. |G
"This is the room where Jezebel frescoed her eyelids with history's tragic glitter." ~Tom Robbins

Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

matrixman wrote:Hey, c'mon, Menolly and ali deserve better than that.

There's nothing "easy" about quantum physics, to the extent that I understand it. Which is to say, not enough to really understand it, but enough to know that it seems quite glib to call it "easy."
They do... ultimately, though, quantum physics, like most things, is only really confusing because people aren't familiar with the "language" and it's rules (as if I understood them :roll:). For example, in quantum language, all things are expressed as a wave function with respect to time and quantization of heat, with all visible variables such as momentum, frequency, etc. converted to Hermitian commuters which are then used to replace their Cartesian counterparts in classical mechanics. At which point, the particle says to the man, "That's no moose, that's my sister! And by the way, that is my hat!"

Ultimately, if one doesn't understand the specific language, they won't get it. As the saying goes, "It's all Greek to me."

Bet you can't guess what I'm studying this quarter.... :faint:
And guess who's going to get a taste of it? :twisted:
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Kaydene wrote:
Infelice wrote:
And you, Infelice. |G
I hope both of you are feeling better. Woot. Done my kind-of good-deed-thing-of-the-day-but-it's-really-just-scatter-shot-well-wishing (scatter-shot cause it's aimed at two people)-thing of the day.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

No offense taken, guys. I have no trouble understanding complicated scientific topics...if you break things down verrrry simply and use teeny little words. ;)

Packing today. Books are done (except the cookbooks and the small bookshelf in my room), crafts are done (unless there's a stealth crafts stash lurking in a closet, which there might be, but I don't think so), and about half the storage closet is done. Yesterday I packed Magickmaker's bedroom and bathroom. Which sounds like I'm doing her a huge favor, but she has nearly everything with her at college -- two medium-sized boxes and a small box and it was done. :) Well, except for the books she left at home. Those took another five small boxes. :roll:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Kaydene
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Kaydene »

Lord Foul wrote:
Kaydene wrote:
Infelice wrote:
And you, Infelice. |G
I hope both of you are feeling better. Woot. Done my kind-of good-deed-thing-of-the-day-but-it's-really-just-scatter-shot-well-wishing (scatter-shot cause it's aimed at two people)-thing of the day.
lol. Thank you, LF. The Arch of Time may unravel, though. Be careful. ;)
"This is the room where Jezebel frescoed her eyelids with history's tragic glitter." ~Tom Robbins

Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Cameraman Jenn wrote:
I also got a bit pissy with my boss today on more than one thing. Late in the day he calls when I am already off the clock knowing I'm probably stuck late yet again and makes me put an order through for his personal self. I was pissy about it and his response was, "You should get used to it, I make all my managers do shit like this." and I responded, "Then you should be paying me manager wages and giving me manager hours. You are not. I have a good mind to hang up the phone on you and refuse to do anything else for you until you do." He was actually contrite. Which made me suspicious so I made a snide comment about being on speaker phone while he and another manager listen to my boss make me his slave bitch. Then he joked that it was true and I was like, "Not laughing. Not pleased." I seriously should have faked pain and milked that fall for all it could have been worth. I'm such a dumbass.
He's good at contrite. It's free and it gets people off his back for at least a little while. Doesn't mean he intends to change anything.

I'm in the same boat. Looking for a second job, hoping to find one job that actually pays the bills. Said as much to one of the other managers today. He was contrite about it, but that isn't going to pay my rent.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I survived the move, though my right knee is a bit messed up. Fortunately it only hurts when I use the stairs, so once I got everything out of my 2nd story apartment, it's been ok. I work in a 2nd story office, but there's no work now anyway, so hopefully the knee will recover by the time I get back to work. Sorry to hear Infelice and Kaydene both had break ups. Sorry to hear CMJ's rent issues too. I had to move because of my inability to pay rent; and I have first hand experience going from a well-paying f/t job (50k) to a job that pays way less an hour, and doesn't even have f/t hours. Fortunately, I had a friend at church who lent me his house until he's finished restoring it. It was built in 1926, and its pretty cool. I'll be helping him, obviously; that'll be my rent. Hopefully the economy will have recovered somewhat by the time it's done.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Cameraman Jenn wrote:Not really sure how to break into the prostitution ring without a pimp and a crack addiction and prior knowledge. Anyone have any hints?
ACORN can help you out with that.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Sorus wrote:
He's good at contrite. It's free and it gets people off his back for at least a little while. Doesn't mean he intends to change anything.
That's why I was suspicious. Unfortunately it's screwed out there especially in California. We are part of an almost ONE THIRD of the population of employed adults in California who are UNDER employed. Three of my friends got laid off and have masters degrees and can't find work. There is a guy with a LAW degree who just graduated and passed the BAR exam who is working at the STARBUCKS next door. He's got a law degree and BAR certs AND he's slinging coffee hoping to make connections. It's tough and I have to admit I am happy to have the job I do because it's better than NO income. At least I don't have about 300 grand in student loans hanging over my head. I'm about at the level of dropping resume's at fast food joints like McDonalds. At least they would pay me full time manager wages.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Rigel wrote:
Cameraman Jenn wrote:Not really sure how to break into the prostitution ring without a pimp and a crack addiction and prior knowledge. Anyone have any hints?
ACORN can help you out with that.
No they can't...

:lol:

--A
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

I was called by a headhunter for an executive recruiting firm today... She offered me a position for which her client announced a vacancy, that sounds potentially very intriguing. Supposed to follow up with a written job description, CV, and so on... I'm curious to see whether it's going to turn out as interesting as it sounds once they put me in contact with the company itself.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Whoo hoo, good luck, Xar! :)

Still waiting to hear back on the apartment I want. I called yesterday, trying to speed the process along -- hopefully I'll hear back today. Still packing, regardless....

Jenn and Sorus, I hear you about the economy. I don't think San Francisco is a special case, either. I know that a lot of law firms, ours included, put off bringing their new crop of associates on board last fall for several months. I expect the same thing will happen this year. I'm thinking I'll be hunkering down and practicing gratitude for the job I've got...

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Good luck Xar! I hope the position turns out to be all you dream it will be. Any information on where the position is located?

And I am feeling proud of our very own aliantha for having her new novella become available via Calderwood Books. Congratulations again, ali!
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

:oops: Thanks, Menolly!

EZ Board Survivor

Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Yay, Ali! And to further the plug, she has two other books available there as well.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Cagliostro wrote:Yay, Ali! And to further the plug, she has two other books available there as well.
Well, short stories. If you have the KW Anthologies, you have them.

Not to discourage anyone from buying them from Dragonlily, mind you. ;)

Oh, and in the meantime, I heard back from the apartment complex and I've been approved. :) All in all, not a bad day!

EZ Board Survivor

Post by Avatar »

Sheesh, where is everybody? The Watch is hell of a quiet recently...

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Backstage Pantheon plotting?
I know Fist is for sure slamming my texts...

Post by Avatar »

Excuses excuses. Anyway, there's only 16 players. :lol:

--A

Return to “General Discussion Forum”