How do you feel today? v. 3.0

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Was my birthday yesterday, but apart from being a day older than the day before, I'm pretty much alright...

Got The Crippled God, and replaced my leatherman, (which I've had for 15 years), since I managed to break my old one a bit last week.

Otherwise, chill weekend.

--A
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Avatar wrote:Was my birthday yesterday, but apart from being a day older than the day before, I'm pretty much alright...

Got The Crippled God, and replaced my leatherman, (which I've had for 15 years), since I managed to break my old one a bit last week.

Otherwise, chill weekend.

--A
Happy birthday!

What's a leatherman? 8O
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

Happy birthday, Av!
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I'm guessing a leatherman is a sort of Swiss Army knife, yes? Anyhow, happy happy! :)

It's supposed to be 80 degrees today. Guess who has to work.... Hmm, I think I'll go for a walk at lunch, tho.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

I got a package in the mail from my family today, and it's full of all sorts of goodies. Shared some Keeblers peanut butter fudge cookies with my coworkers, and had mac-n-cheese for dinner. Also included in the package were a DVD of my brother's play and my sister's basketball game (they are both quite talented), some spices I need if I want to cook familiar food, a book, several other packages of cookies, some pistachios, some packets of hot cocoa mix, and more. :)

On the downside, my pants broke at work today, while I was teaching a class. Luckily, it wasn't a split--the clasp on the front of the pants broke in half--and my students didn't notice. I was wearing a few shirts in layers, and this was just tight enough to hold it in place until I left work an hour later. I'll have to see what sorts of fasteners I have in my sewing/repair kit...
"Persevera, per severa, per se vera." Persist through difficulties, even though it is hard.
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
Buy my best friend's fantastic fantasy book! Pulse is also available here.
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I had an odd day today. I got up late, went to take my scooter to BART, got to BART ok but the charge was low then went to get back on at the other end of my train ride and the rear tire was flat. I was hecka late to work and frustrated as hell about the tire. Then I end up having to "observe" while a couple of guys were working on the back rolling door. Seth calls me on the the walkie and says, "Jenn, can you take care of the guys for the receiving door repair?" and I said, "Sure, where are they at? and he says, "That massive guy walking towards you." I turn and see him and was like, "Christ, he's HUGE!" And Paul, very nice sweet guy with nice sense of humor and gentle persona was HUGE. Not fat at all, just HUGE. My eye level was about mid bicep on him and I am pretty sure I could not have reached the top of his head with my hand even if I was standing on my toes. HUGE. And not just tall huge but huge like not just palming a basketball huge but more like palming a watermelon huge. And muscly like a bodybuilder, biceps larger around than my thighs. Seriously, when I handed him my pen for the work order signing it looked like a little kid handing an adult a crayon. Anyway, during the rolling door operations he was lifting the cover down and it sliced in to his hand really deep and wide. He didn't even flinch, just set the cover on the floor, pulled a handkerchief out of his pocket, wrapped it around and went to pick the cover back up. I was like, "Did you just cut yourself? Are you ok? Should I run and get the first aid kit?" and he just grinned at me and said, "It's fine, I'll just go get stitched up when I'm done here." I said, "Are you SURE? That looked bad." He just kept grinning, held up his other hand and indicated his pinky finger which had obviously been sewn back on and said, "It's not as bad as this one when I took my finger clean off." They finished up and left and I spent the rest of the day practicing calling myself Jennifer since a second Jenn started today and then came home. I left the wounded scooter at work and I'll pick it up when I have access to the van again although I may try to reseat the bead on the tire and see if it will hold air. I couldn't find anything stuck in it but did see a tiny spot that may have been a puncture. If that is the case I'll need to take the whole thing apart to get that back tire off to patch it. On other odd notes, the new girl Jenn is from Medford, Oregon and she seems nice but her movement and something about her face makes me think she may be a retired meth head. She's pretty tweaky and has that sort of aged sunken cast that meth/crack heads get from long term abuse. I'm not the only one who thought that either. Daniella said something similar to me before she left and Dale made a comment about her tweakiness when he gave me a ride to the BART station. Then to add a bit more of surreal to my odd day, Cedric the Terminix guy showed up today to check on our rodent situation. I was out back with Paul and Emmanuel so my co-workers sent him to the back to talk to me. Turns out that Paul, Mr. Huge, is afraid of rats. I promised to protect him then assured him that between the daylight, store lights, doors open and all the noise we were making that the rats would stay away so he had nothing to worry about. It was pretty funny. So while discussing rodent battle options with Cedric, he and I ended up chucking a bunch of "Rodentiacide Cakes" under the back loading docks and up under the trash compactor to try to cut down on the rat parties that I have been interrupting back in the freight room and then he gave me a HUGE stack of glue traps for under the candy shelves to try to work on the mice issue some more. Yesterday I had cleaned up all the leavings that occurred while I was working in the other store and on vacation and we had run out of traps so none were set while I was gone. I then baited and set four traps in their most favorite areas and thus began my war on the rodents again. I also store used a pack of reeses peanut butter cups for the bait and in the "reason" line I wrote, "Bait for the gluetraps to aid in Jenn's seemingly futile, "War of the Rodents." I hope Mike the Audit guy gets a chuckle out of that. Anyway, to totally finish out the door repair story, turns out that just over a year ago there was a fire in the store in the receiving and the fire department cut into both rolling doors to put it out. The doors were replaced with new ones but they installed them incorrectly. The panel bracings for the rollers should be mounted on the outside of the track bracings, not in between the track bracing and the rail. That means that there is about a half an inch lost on each side of the door. It was just enough to cause the doors to rub but in the early days the doors were so well lubed that it was not as noticeable. Over time, dirt and grime and permanent warping/ridges in the door have made the door harder and harder to open so they will now have to come in and redrill and it's going to be a big project to fix the doors. Ugh. Guess who figured out most of that? Me. yes me. Having worked in auto shops with rolling doors for so long suggested that it might me a good idea to check the spacing by following the groove patterns etched into the rollers where the door was catching and then measure the clearances. When I suggested that, the door guys were like, "OH HEY, the bracings are mounted wrong." At this point I guess we see how it goes.

I do feel good to be home but I have felt off kilter/balance all day. Hopefully tomorrow I will be reset and all will be right with the world.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com

Post by Avatar »

aliantha wrote:I'm guessing a leatherman is a sort of Swiss Army knife, yes?
:lol: Sort of... www.leatherman.com/

--A
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

You need to write a book about your life Jenn :)
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

--A
that is very cool. I love those kind of sets.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

--A
Yup, that's what I thought it was. 8)

Jenn, I hope the scooter fix is easier and quicker than the rolling door fix will be. 8O

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

lorin wrote:
danlo wrote:8O Wow! At first glance I though your new av was some weird alien ram ready to softly butt my ass--now I see am juz silly kitteh... :mrgreen:
that really does look like a ram if you squint your eyes. weird.

Anyway, if my kitty was gonna' butt your ass it wouldn't be softly.......... :biggrin:
ok, I was tired of being called a wooly lama by everyone so I changed it.
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

--A
For some reason, I was thinking drug paraphenalia. Shows where my mind is.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life

Post by Avatar »

:lol: No. Just a handy bit of kit.

--A
Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

I think my students have given me a cold. And tomorrow or Friday there will be radioactive rain.
I love being in South Korea. :)
"Persevera, per severa, per se vera." Persist through difficulties, even though it is hard.
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

What does one do about radioactive rain, Owlie? Sounds like something you wouldn't want to experience... 8O

EZ Board Survivor

Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

aliantha wrote:What does one do about radioactive rain, Owlie? Sounds like something you wouldn't want to experience... 8O
You stay inside, take your iodide tablets, and hope there isn't a huge concentration of Cesium in that rain :P
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

aliantha wrote:What does one do about radioactive rain, Owlie? Sounds like something you wouldn't want to experience... 8O
Don't get wet, mostly. :)

According to the South Korean government, it should only be a low amount of radiation, but even still, if there's rain, I'm not going to go outside until the puddles dry up. Luckily I don't have to go outside to go to work...
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Auleliel wrote:
Don't get wet, mostly. :)

According to the South Korean government, it should only be a low amount of radiation, but even still, if there's rain, I'm not going to go outside until the puddles dry up. Luckily I don't have to go outside to go to work...
Good plan. Stay safe!

EZ Board Survivor

Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Back in the weeks after Chernobyl, my NASA softball team forfeited a game or two on rainy afternoons because we declined to play in the California rain.

One of the rival teams, from Atmospheric Experiments Branch (the ozone hole folks) had a running joke about seeding clouds prior to our games...just to bait us.

Stay dry, Owlie!
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

As some wag on facebook said yesterday, "You can't have superpowers without, at least, a little dose of radiation." :P
fall far and well Pilots!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”