Runes, Part One, Ch. 3: In The Rubble

ROTE, FR, AATE, TLD

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Runes, Part One, Ch. 3: In The Rubble

Post by I'm Murrin »

[Apologies to everyone for the lateness of this dissection. This is my first, and I'm not sure how well I've done: it is very long, and I think goes into uneccessary detail in places. This is, however, a very important chapter (that's why I chose it!), and perhaps needed such depth. I'll let you judge.]
-------------------------

"Through a din like the destruction of the heavens, the massive spire of Kevin's Watch shuddered and snapped. Between one heartbeat and the next, it became rubble poised a thousand feet above the hills."
Kevin's Watch, ancient Earthpower-wrought spire. Three times now has the tip of Kevin's outpost welcomed outsiders into the Land. The solid stones beneath their feet, and the view out over the Land around them, have been a familiar scene which, along with the journey down out of the mountains, served to prepare them for what they might have to face.
But now, Linden has found the view from the Watch obscured by wrongness, her only guide is a madman, and the solid reassurance of the Watch is literally torn from beneath her feet.

With Anele clinging to her neck she plunges down toward the valley floor, a thousand feet of air between them and the ground, surrounded by the rubble of one of the Land's oldest monuments. Stone, cracked and failing: the fall of Kevin's Watch will set a theme for the entire series, of Earth failing against the dangers that have arisen. The stones of the Watch smash into her body, Linden and her burden ricochet from boulder to boulder; as Anele's grip threatens to choke her, as another rock smashes into her temple--in a flood of pain, the Wild Magic fills her.
"In the imponderable gap between instants, she felt that she had dropped into the core of a sun. Its glare appeared to catch and seethe in the earth's yellow shroud, lighting the obscurity to its horizons like a lightning-strike.
Then rampant flame bore her away, and she vanished into a whiteness like the pure grief of stars."
Until the Watch fell, as she entered the and, she had used the Wild Magic unconsciously, to heal herself. This time, she has been reaching for it, reaching out to Covenant's ring--but notice that it does not come until she is struck on the head by a rock. It seems that for some reason she is unable to consciously access the Wild Magic. It must be "beneath or beyond consciousness", and it is when she comes close to losing consciousness that the Wild Magic envelopes her and Anele in flame, and slows their fall.

As she slows their descent, with the white fire raging through her, she becomes less aware of what is around her, and instead we are reminded of a story, told to her the last time she was in the Land:
"Stars, she had heard, were the bright children of the world's birth, the glad offspring of the Creator, trapped inadvertantly in the heavens by the same binding which had imprisoned the Despiser. They could only be set free, restored to their infinite home, by the severing of Time."
Time is key, in the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. Time binds the world together, and binds the Despier within it. The Wild Magic is keystone of Time, and so is both bound to the Arch of Time, and unconstrained within it. Only the Wild Magic, accessed through White Gold, can unmake the Arch of Time, can break--or bend--the Law of Time itself. Without the Law of Time, "there could be no life; no creation; no beauty."
But as Linden realises, there could also be no evil.
Linden knows that Joan is in the Land, with her ring, partner to the one Linden wears. And Lord Foul has Joan.
As soon as the thought has entered her mind, it is replaced by another, a fact that Linden will not let herself put aside: "Lord Foul had taken Jeremiah."

It is with these things in mind that she takes hold of the Wild Magic, and with it, she bears Anele safely to the earth.

She wakes, weak and bruised, atop the rubble of Kevin's Watch, the sun clear in the sky above her. She can feel the damage in the stones beneath her, like the splinter of harm she had felt as she stood on Kevin's Watch before the fall; now she feels the pain of a raw wound.
Anele is gone, and her thought towards him as she lies there bears a selfish tinge that hints at a need to always be the healer, the saviour: "Damn it, she had to be able to save somebody."

Still weakened, she takes in her surroundings: the rubble is spread across a hillside beneath the new scar where Kevin's Watch stood. Only a little time has passed since their fall; enough for dust to settle.
"After a moment, she realised that the tumbling stone must have been seen or heard by everyone who lived in the vicinity. Simple curiosity might bring them out to look at the wreckage. The help she needed might be on its way to her.
Or Anele's enemies might come--"
Even hurt and in shock, she realises that where Anele had been right about the aura--the caesure--he might be right about other things. But she still finds it difficult to move. Even when she manages to sit up, she can only sit and stare at her hands for a time. It is here where she finally begins to realise that something is wrong.

At first she cannot identify it; she is dismayed by her sudden weakness, an element of self-doubt creeping into her thoughts. Then she remembers the clear sky, where before everything below the Watch was shrouded in wrongness. The yellow cloud is gone, and so is her healthsense. The realisation penetrates through her shock, and she scrabbles for some element of that perception, tries to read the damage in her skin, in the rocks beneath her.

When she was in the Land before, her healthsense had defined her. She had been subjected to the horrors of the sunbane and Ravers, but she had also seen into the truth of beauty and health, and had used it to heal. Without it, she almost feels helpless.

Apparently trying to put her loss of ability out of her mind momentarliy, she comes back to to the idea of Anele. What she had seen of his madness while on the Watch had attracted her instincts as a healer--her need for something to heal. She clings to the thought of Anele as a puzzle to be solved, as something she will fix, and so sets out to find him.

When she finds him huddled behind a rock, her senses are once again frustrated.
"Bending over him, she tried to force her senses into him; tried to see beyond the surface of his seamed, unwashed skin. But of the madness and Earthpower which had defined him earlier she caught no glimpse."
In an echo of the words of the Lords to Covenant, so long ago: He was closed to her now.

This is not the only thing about him that appears different to her. His manner is changed, and he seems lucid; completely unlike his behaviour atop the spire. And he appears to know who she is, or at least where she has come from.
"'The Law of Death was broken,' he murmured, apparently speaking to himself while his fingertips traced her expression, 'long ago.' He held his head cocked to one side, considering her eyelessly. 'The Law of Life was sundered in Andelain. Such things are possible.'"
Linden immediately realises this is an opportunity for answers. She begins to question him, but stops when, despite his apparent blindness, he points directly at her ring. 'You have power. That is well. You will have need of it.'
The questions come tumbling into a reader's head. Why does he suddenly seem knowledgeable? Where has his madness gone? Who is this strange old man?

Linden is as confused and disturbed as the reader. Fumbling for something to say, she comments on their fall from the Watch, and his disappearance, at which he claims that he feared her; his phantom pursuers again, these others he claimed to be after him as surely as he believed the caesure was.

As he continues speaking, more new ideas, new names appear: Kevin's Dirt, which "blinds them", his elusive they, the "Masters". More strangeness, more that is unfamiliar. Linden is beginning to see how different this place is to the Land she was accustomed to.

Kevin's Dirt, it seems, is the name of the yellow fog that covered the Land when they looked down from the Watch. More than that, it has not gone at all--according to Anele, she simply cannot see it. It has blinded her. And another unexplained fargment: 'Only the Masters--'

Cracks are beginning to show in his appearence of sanity. He once again becomes anxiuos of those that chase him, and begs Linden's protection. It is only after she reminds him that she saved him from dying in the fall that he calms. Once again Linden decides to try questioning him. He identifies the aura that shattered the Watch as a caesure, and when Linden mentions Lord Foul, he reveals more of his knowledge:
"'The Grey Slayer,' he breathed. 'Maker of Desecration. He seeks to destroy me. He sends his caesures to achieve ruin. Kevin's Dirst blinds the Land. The Masters name him their foe, yet they serve him and know it not.'"
It seems all we are ever given in this book is more unanswered questions. Why would the Despiser seek to destroy this old man? Caesures are 'sent' by Foul, but there is still no hint of what they are.
Interestingly, despite the context, Anele's words do not connect Kevin's Dirt to Lord Foul, simply stating that it "blinds the Land".

After telling him about her problems--about Jeremiah--Linden waits for him to respond. When he does, it is yet another piece to be added to the puzzle.
'You have a son.' ... 'His birthright has been torn from him. Mine I have lost. I am not worthy of protection. I live only because I am the Land's last hope.
'Ask your questions. I will attempt to answer.'
How can this sad, tired old man, this blind madman, be the Land's last hope?

Linden starts with a simple question: Why is it called Kevin's Dirt. When asked, Anele seems to look around him for the answer. 'These stones do not know,' he says. '...Kevin's Dirt is a human name. It is too recent to be discerned here.'
Can Anele truly read answers in stone? We have seen the like before: in The Power That Preserves, in a cave in the mountains near Doom's Retreat, an Unfettered One spent his life trying to read history in the rock. He failed in his purpose--the stones move too slowly for any human to read them. So what does Anele do, when he seems to look to the rocks for answers?

Her questions continue to garner few useful answers: the earth does not know how long Kevin's Dirt has existed, but Anele's guesses suggest it has been a very long time. The caesures, however, have roamed the Land for only a hundred years.
Anele claims not to know how old he is, not to remember whether his parents live, or when he received his 'birthright'. His answers become less certain: There were no caesures when he was born, but he is less than one hundred years old. Even he does not seem able to explain it. Here also he contradicts his ravings from the Watch, and later: 'The caesures do not desire me. I am scant threat to the Grey Slayer.'

This is the point when Linden becomes frustrated with his answers. He contradicts himself, his answers make no sense; his madness makes it hard for her to trust his words, but she must continue asking.
Of the caesures: "They sever. Dislocate. I cannot name it."
Of his reading of stone: "Look around you. The truth is visible here."
Of course Linden can discern nothing. She is beginning to think again of her tiredness.

She goes over things that have been known since much earlier: The Law of Death, broken by Elena. Anele calls it "The boundary which distinguishes the end of life".
On the Law of Life, his memory once again troubles him. It seems that he is drawing the story of Sunder and Hollian from somewhere in his own memory, yet he does not know where: "Do I read or remember? Have I heard a tale?"

And once again, he talks of things that are incomprehensible to us at this stage:
"'The fault is mine. All this' - he gestured wildly around him - 'Kevin's Dirt and caesures, the Masters and the dread fire of the skurj. All the Land's pain. The fault is mine.'"
Skurj? Another new name, a new threat we do not know. Linden recognises that Anele is punishing himself--she was like that once, as well.

Finally, he tells her of the Law of Life: "It is the boundary which distinguishes the end of death."

Here Linden muses on how all this could be possible. Her Staff of Law had been used to reshape the Earthpower, to restore it to its former beauty. Its very existence should have made things like caesures and Kevin's Dirt impossible. Her frustration mounts, feeling that she had done so much good to come to nothing--feeling betrayed, it seems, by those who should have continued her work. When she demands he tell her how it is his 'fault', to speak of his birthright, he only becomes more frantic. Eventually, he flees from her.

She scrambles up the slope after him, and find that he is standing at the top, looking down, grinning like a lunatic. Up the slope, to stand right before him, and asks him to help her understand what is wrong.

And everything she thought she knew about Anele-- changes.
"Distinctly he pronounced, 'I see you are the Chosen, called Linden Avery. At one time, you were named "Sun-Sage" for your power against the Sunbane. I have your son.'"
------------------

This chapter raises question after question after question:
What is Kevin's Dirt, and how did it come to be?
What are the caesures? Did Lord Foul create them?
Who are the Masters, and why are they after Anele?
What are the skurj?
Why hasn't the Staff of Law protected the Land from these threats?
And, most importantly, most pressing: Who or what on Earth is Anele?
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Great dissection, Murrin!
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Excellent, Murrin! This is your first dissection, eh? I had the vague impression you had done this before.
Kevin's Watch, ancient Earthpower-wrought spire. Three times now has the tip of Kevin's outpost welcomed outsiders into the Land. The solid stones beneath their feet, and the view out over the Land around them, have been a familiar scene which, along with the journey down out of the mountains, served to prepare them for what they might have to face.
Yes, you just made me intensely nostalgic about that very first time so long ago when Covenant found himself on the Watch and was met by Lena. 23 years ago for me, 6000 years ago in the Land. It does feel like a lifetime ago.
Stone, cracked and failing: the fall of Kevin's Watch will set a theme for the entire series, of Earth failing against the dangers that have arisen.
It's chilling to see stone as enduring and familiar as KW fail so...catastrophically. All bets are off now. Anything can happen. SRD, you diabolical bastard...
Anele is gone, and her thought towards him as she lies there bears a selfish tinge that hints at a need to always be the healer, the saviour: "Damn it, she had to be able to save somebody."
This is one of the things that sets off debates about Linden. One side sees her as selfish for assuming she must be the healer, the saviour. The other side sees her constant need to heal and save as a selfless giving of herself, rather than as an ego-stroking exercise. However, others have pointed out how Linden here resembles Covenant in the 2nd Chrons, who thought he was the only one meant to fight the Despiser. I'd agree with that. (Well, in truth, Covenant was the one who "fought" Foul, right? Linden "merely" healed the Land, and in this Last Chronicles she may still yet. Er, in some way or other.)
When she was in the Land before, her healthsense had defined her. She had been subjected to the horrors of the sunbane and Ravers, but she had also seen into the truth of beauty and health, and had used it to heal. Without it, she almost feels helpless.
Yes, another perverse sort of symmetry to what happened to Covenant in the first Chrons. He had heightened perceptions in the Land but lost them in TPTP due to Lord Foul's winter. But Linden's sudden loss of her healthsense is much more shocking, because as you said, that ability had defined who she was in the Land. I wasn't expecting this at all.
Linden is as confused and disturbed as the reader.
Darn right! "Confused and disturbed" sums up my reading (of this and just about every chapter in Runes). That and a feeling of deep dread.
spacemonkey
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by spacemonkey »

No kidding!!! Nothing but dread and dark in ROTE.... BUT it has been an unbelievably long time since Linden has last been there........
There is one Law
that the Wild Magic
can Destroy or Maintain
for good or ill
BE TRUE!!!

Floating High But I'm Always Down......
CorruptionWearsManyFaces
Servant of the Land

Post by CorruptionWearsManyFaces »

hmmmmm.....Kevin's Dirt. Linden can 'see' it when on the watch and above it, but can not 'see' it when below the Dirt where her health sight is gone. Kevin's Dirt seems to be not only something that prevents health sense but is itself some sort of wrong done to the Land much like the Sunbane. But why is it one directional only effecting those below it? Like a two way mirror. Hmmmm. :?

Anele? To anoint like unction. As in death prayers. Wow. SRD picks names for reasons..hmmmm...

T
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Great dissection Murrin. I agree that it deserves so much detail. I'll echo the others here and repeat what a profound impact the fall of the Watch had on me. I was literally stunned. That was when I knew that this would be as rough a ride as the 2nd Chrons.

Great conclusion too. :D

--A
wayfriend

Re: Runes, Part One, Ch. 3: In The Rubble

Post by wayfriend »

Murrin wrote:Apologies to everyone for the lateness of this dissection.
Well, you did a great job, so we'll forgive you.
Murrin wrote:Kevin's Watch, ancient Earthpower-wrought spire. Three times now has the tip of Kevin's outpost welcomed outsiders into the Land. The solid stones beneath their feet, and the view out over the Land around them, have been a familiar scene which, along with the journey down out of the mountains, served to prepare them for what they might have to face.
"As poignant as an augury". No need to wonder what Donaldson means by that!
Murrin wrote:Until the Watch fell, as she entered the and, she had used the Wild Magic unconsciously, to heal herself. This time, she has been reaching for it, reaching out to Covenant's ring--but notice that it does not come until she is struck on the head by a rock. It seems that for some reason she is unable to consciously access the Wild Magic. It must be "beneath or beyond consciousness", and it is when she comes close to losing consciousness that the Wild Magic envelopes her and Anele in flame, and slows their fall.
Yes. This passage struck me a lot as I re-read it.

Consider the phrases Donaldson uses. "Not knowing what she did, guided only by instinct and passion". And consider what Linden was thinking about just at the time wild magic flared. Evil. Joan with a white gold ring. Lord Foul has taken Jeremiah.

I think that the mystery of Linden's difficulty with the wild magic is passion. Wild Magic arises from passion. You can't merely decide to use it; it's not a tool. It is you; your passion translated into your power. Thomas Covanant had to learn that in the First Chronicles.

Linden hasn't learned that lesson yet. She still searches for the wild magic. Searches ... she doesn't know where it is: in herself. And what's worse: Linden is not a passionate person.

In The Fall of the First World, the wise man Nihim claims that each man us ultimately an intellectual man, a passionate man, or a moral man. Covenant, clearly, is a passionate man. Linden is not a passionate woman; her essence is intellectual. She's a doctor, not a writer; she deals in facts, in what works and what doesn't work, in what she knows.

This is why the wild magic is difficult for her, I believe. There was passion in abundance when she created the new Staff and healed the Sunbane. There was instinct when she healed herself, saved herself from the fall of Kevin's Watch. But when she does not remember to use "instinct and passion", the wild magic is far from her.

[Edit]Perhaps Lord Foul has my son is her trigger. [/edit]
"Stars, she had heard, were the bright children of the world's birth, the glad offspring of the Creator, trapped inadvertantly in the heavens by the same binding which had imprisoned the Despiser. They could only be set free, restored to their infinite home, by the severing of Time."
This always bothered me because there is no creation story involving the Despiser and trapped stars together. This is an inconsistency. Is this a slip? If it is, I believe it is a revealing slip - Donaldson telling us more than he wants to. I would not argue against anyone who claims this is merely the way Linden remembers things, and she remembers them blurred together a bit, or perhaps she has decided that they fit together in this way.
"'The Law of Death was broken,' he murmured, apparently speaking to himself while his fingertips traced her expression, 'long ago.' He held his head cocked to one side, considering her eyelessly. 'The Law of Life was sundered in Andelain. Such things are possible.'"
Such things are possible. This is so intriguing. Why does he talk about such things when speaking of Linden using power to save him? Does he equate her power with breaking of Laws?
Murrin wrote:and when Linden mentions Lord Foul, he reveals more of his knowledge:
"'The Grey Slayer,' he breathed. 'Maker of Desecration. He seeks to destroy me. He sends his caesures to achieve ruin. Kevin's Dirst blinds the Land. The Masters name him their foe, yet they serve him and know it not.'"
It seems all we are ever given in this book is more unanswered questions. Why would the Despiser seek to destroy this old man? Caesures are 'sent' by Foul, but there is still no hint of what they are.
Notice that his earlier statements about ceasures and this one don't NECESSARILLY contradict each other. He may be scant threat to Foul, but Foul may have sent the ceasures after him nonetheless. Ceasures may be sent to hunt him, but they may not desire him while they do so.

Hey ... what would happen if the ceasures "get" Anele? Are we making an assumption that it is merely his death that they seek?
Murrin wrote:Interestingly, despite the context, Anele's words do not connect Kevin's Dirt to Lord Foul, simply stating that it "blinds the Land".
The Masters are not blinded.

Question: does Kevin's Dirt affect Anele? I think no.
Murrin wrote:This is the point when Linden becomes frustrated with his answers. He contradicts himself, his answers make no sense; his madness makes it hard for her to trust his words, but she must continue asking.
No, he seems to contradict himself. Dollars to donuts that all these seeming contradictions are rectified.
Murrin wrote:She goes over things that have been known since much earlier: The Law of Death, broken by Elena. Anele calls it "The boundary which distinguishes the end of life".
We are also reminded that Sunder and Hollian's child also crossed the boundary back into life.

In WGW, Hollian said, ""Yet it is a fragile crossing withal, and uncertain. We are sustained, and in some manner defined, by the sovereign Earthpower of the Andelainian Hills. Should we depart this region, we would not long endure among the living."

Earthpower sustains the re-alive.
Murrin wrote:And everything she thought she knew about Anele-- changes.
"Distinctly he pronounced, 'I see you are the Chosen, called Linden Avery. At one time, you were named "Sun-Sage" for your power against the Sunbane. I have your son.'"
I cannot fail to notice "the white glares of his eyes resembles anguish" ... "tormented stare" ... "laugh as if his heart would break".

Somewhere inside himself, Anele is aware while this is transpiring.
CorruptionWearsManyFaces wrote:But why is it one directional only effecting those below it? Like a two way mirror. Hmmmm.

I believe that it affects those within it.

- - - - - - - - - -

:?: "This was the boundary that distinguishes the end of life made fragile".
Note: not destroyed, not completely gone, just "made fragile".

Interesting choice of words, "that distinguishes the end of life". Does breaking the Law of Life also allow someone to not die when otherwise they would die? Oh, the implications...

:?:
"It is hope and cruelty", he replied like a tocsin, "redemption and ruin."
a tocsin is not a toxin, a poison. It is an alarm bell, a warning signal.

What alarms should we be hearing when Anele speaks of the Law of Life?
tonyz
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by tonyz »

I think that the mystery of Linden's difficulty with the wild magic is passion. Wild Magic arises from passion. You can't merely decide to use it; it's not a tool. It is you; your passion translated into your power. Thomas Covanant had to learn that in the First Chronicles.
Ah-ha! This actually makes sense of Linden's difficulties with the white gold. I shall be looking eagerly to see if this holds true in future chapters.
Choiceless, you were given the power of choice. I elected you for the Land but did not compel you to serve my purpose in the Land... Only thus could I preserve the integrity of my creation.

Post by Avatar »

Does Linden lack passion then?

--A
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Avatar wrote:Does Linden lack passion then?
I would say that she has passion, but that she doesn't use it. She routinely surpresses it; her responses to problems are logical, rational.

There were a lot of people who said as much here (beware spoilers).

Post by Avatar »

Hmmm...

I pretty much agree. Or at least, that she directs it into other things, or perhaps even misapplies it. Her responses may be logical (usually), but I think she sometimes slips into senselessness...almost mindless repititions of the "He has my son" mantra.

--A
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

CorruptionWearsManyFaces wrote:hmmmmm.....Kevin's Dirt. Linden can 'see' it when on the watch and above it, but can not 'see' it when below the Dirt where her health sight is gone. Kevin's Dirt seems to be not only something that prevents health sense but is itself some sort of wrong done to the Land much like the Sunbane. But why is it one directional only effecting those below it? Like a two way mirror. Hmmmm. :?
Actually it seems weird to me that her health sense seemed to go away so quickly. She had it.... the watch fell.. and then a few moments later she didnt have her health sense anymore.
Spoiler
What seems inconsistant to me is that later in the book.. when they are all traveling back to Revelstone and the Ramen are with them.. their health sense didnt fail until they had reached Revelstone or at least that is the first time they (the Ramen) mentioned it.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I think the key there is that we don't know how long Linden was unconscious when Kevin's Watch fell. I assumed it was more than just a few minutes.

Post by Avatar »

That's a fair point.

Now at Revelstone, it seemed to take a day for the healthsense to fade. Of course, that was after it had been "revived" by the staff, which should probably be a potent instrument of such reversal.

And perhaps it is also something to do with how long it's been operational. Linden hadn't been in the Land very long...her healthsense reasserted itself, (never an instant process), and just as it was, she was below Kevins Dirt. Blocking it almost before it had begun.

The Ramen on the other hand had lived their entire lives with it. Makes sense that if it was entrenched it would take longer to fade.

--A
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

... and the Staff of Law, by it's very presence, may have helped them retain their health-sense longer. (Just as it was used to restore it when Linden uses it.)
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Wayfriend wrote:
Murrin wrote:Until the Watch fell, as she entered the and, she had used the Wild Magic unconsciously, to heal herself. This time, she has been reaching for it, reaching out to Covenant's ring--but notice that it does not come until she is struck on the head by a rock. It seems that for some reason she is unable to consciously access the Wild Magic. It must be "beneath or beyond consciousness", and it is when she comes close to losing consciousness that the Wild Magic envelopes her and Anele in flame, and slows their fall.
Yes. This passage struck me a lot as I re-read it.
This passage "struck" ( :biggrin: ) me, too, but for different reasons. SRD makes a point to say that she was struck on the head "again". He is purposely tying it to the previous times she was struck . . . in the last chapter. Clearly, there is something significant about this.

Who else do we know has had her head conspicuously, repeatedly struck? Joan. Clearly, there's a connection between these two women that we have not yet understood. Joan's self-inflicted punishment has something to do with Linden's translation to the Land and her use of white gold.

In terms of imagery, this temple-hitting is also connected to stars (and not merely in the sense of "seeing stars"). Page 82:
"And as she fell, she felt a blow strike her right temple. Its force snatched a phosphene flare across the blackness in her eyes. The abyss into whcih she fell became vivid with consumed comets, bursting suns, scattered stars. She shook her head, trying to dispel them, but they did not fade."

And then she entered into the first of Joan's memories, scraping Covenant's arm and drinking his blood. Then:

Page 83:
"Another blow reached Linden. Again she rocked with the impact, and found herself stretched out in a bed in Berenford Memorial, her arms tied to the rails."
Here, the strike to her head sends her into more of Joan's memories/experiences. However, in chapter 3, the head strike awakens wild magic.

Page 100:
"And again she was struck, as she had been struck before: her temple collided with a boulder the size of a dwelling and the whole inside of her head--her mind and her scream and her frantic heart--turned white with pain. White and silver."
And again it's connected to the stars:
"Then rampant flame bore her away, and she vanished into a whiteness like the pure grief of stars."
Are we supposed to conclude that Joan's head striking is coinciding with Linden feeling her own head being struck?

Okay, changing the subject:
Wayfriend wrote:Such things are possible. This is so intriguing. Why does he talk about such things when speaking of Linden using power to save him? Does he equate her power with breaking of Laws?
I think this refers to the fact that they should have died in the rubble. Linden altered that fact with the wild magic. A conclusion you hint at here:
Wayfriend wrote:Interesting choice of words, "that distinguishes the end of life". Does breaking the Law of Life also allow someone to not die when otherwise they would die? Oh, the implications...
This is backed up in the text, page 100:
". . . Linden took hold of Covenant's powre and with it transcended the necessary strictures of gravity and mass, of falling and mortal frailty. . . . she briefly set aside the bonds of life."
I also find it interesting that the caesure has been at Kevin's Watch before. What are the chances of these things randomly hitting the same spot twice? Clearly, it was coming for either Anele or Linden. After the Watch falls, it "dissapates or disappears," as if its purpose has been completed. If this is true, what was its goal before? Was there another person translated to the Land whom it was also seeking?

And I find this intriguing: Linden says, "I was afraid you were dead." At this, Anele
". . . cocked his head farther. "I feared you. You might have been--" He shuddered; and with his free hand he rubbed the top of his head roughly. "The folk of this region are kindly toward me. Kevin's Dirt blinds them, and they cannot see me . . . "
Are we to assume that if they could "see" him, that they'd fear him?
Spoiler
Is he one of the risen dead, like Hollian and Sunder? Not just their child, but he's already died and come back himself?
He goes on to say:
"But they are not blinded. If any Master came upon me, I would be taken and doomed. Therefore I did not seek you out."
What? Why didn't he seek her out? Why did he fear Linden? What did he think she might have been?
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Malik23 wrote:Who else do we know has had her head conspicuously, repeatedly struck? Joan.
A point which I made in the "Old Friends" thread a few days ago... maybe check it out.
Malik23 wrote:Why didn't he seek her out? Why did he fear Linden? What did he think she might have been?
I think, here, Anele is merely afraid that Linden is allied with the Masters and, knowing she could "see" him earlier, was afraid she'd turn him in.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Wayfriend wrote: A point which I made in the "Old Friends" thread a few days ago... maybe check it out.
What can I say? I'm behind. I'll try to catch up and give you your due credit. (No sarcasm intended--your contributions here are indeed valuable, to say the least).
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

There's one thing I've been meaning to mention.
In the previous chapter, Linden overhears Foul giving an order--"Tell her I have her son." It is unclear who this comment is directed at, or who it refers to. I think that the words Foul uses at the end of this chapter are evidence that he wasn't taking about Linden and Jeremiah.
'I see you are the Chosen, called Linden Avery. At one time, you were named "Sun-Sage" for your power against the Sunbane. I have your son.'
I see you are the Chosen. This choice of words makes me suspect that Foul did not know that Linden was in the Land until he saw her. He obviously expected she might be, but I don't believe he knew for certain--she piggybacked in on Roger's summoning, after all. I think the way he addresses her suggests a confirmation of a suspicion, rather than something he already knew. In which case, the earlier comment--"Tell her I have her son"--is too certain to be meant for Linden. The fact that he repeats the statement, I have your son, does not show the contrary--he could have both Roger and Jeremiah, after all.
Spoiler
This also lends credence to later statements by Foul in Runes--namely, that his plans were no longer dependant on her actions, that whether she appeared in the Land or not he had seen that his schemes would reach fruition. That it did not matter that she was summoned.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Good points made, Murrin. If "Tell her I have her son" was meant for Linden, why the need for Foul to repeat it to her personally later?

Return to “Last Chronicles”