Atlas of the Land

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

slipperypick
Servant of the Land

Atlas of the Land

Post by slipperypick »

I have a copy of Karen Wyn Fonstad's "Atlas of the Land." I'm curious if a.) Anybody else has it and how they feel it relates to their enjoyment of the Chronicles, and b.) If anyone knows if it will be updated to include new scenes and descriptions from the Last Chronicles (which I haven't read yet).

Thanks!
"My best advice to anyone who wants to raise a
happy, mentally healthy child is: Keep him or
her as far away from a church as you can."
-Frank Zappa
jwaneeta
Bloodguard

Post by jwaneeta »

dAN posted some scans of it here; they made me want to get the book myself. I can't say that the depiction of Revelstone sorted with my own mental image of it, though.
the rue of the melody could not be mistaken
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Some of the actuall pictures didnt really fit what i had in mind, but the maps were invaluable. Especially when it went through timeline overlays on the map itslef. Totaly Sweet!
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Every once in a while, someone invariably mentions the Atlas. :wink: And well they should, too! It's a marvellous companion book to the Chronicles. I wish every TC fan had it.

I bought mine when it first came out years ago. To say I was ecstatic would be an understatement. It was like discovering one of Kevin's lost Wards, I tell ya. Karen Fonstad's careful dedication to SRD's vision was apparent on every page of the Atlas. It was clearly a labor of love. She certainly didn't get financial riches from it, because as SRD himself said in the Gradual Interview on his website, the book sold very poorly. Which is why it has never been re-released, and likely never will be, sad as that is. So no, there will not be any updated version that includes new stuff from the Last Chronicles. Well, not unless Last Chrons sales go through the roof, anyway.

There are already several threads about the Atlas around here. If you do a search, you should be able to find them all.
spacemonkey
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by spacemonkey »

Great, but where do i get a copy??????
There is one Law
that the Wild Magic
can Destroy or Maintain
for good or ill
BE TRUE!!!

Floating High But I'm Always Down......
Kil Tyme
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kil Tyme »

I finely got my Atlas a few months ago from Ebay. You should see a copy avail every so often, or on some other auction site. I saw one try to sell for almost 100 bucks, but I got mine for 10ish. I think the Atlas adds greatly to my enjoyment and understanding of the Land and the various events. The author/artist worked with SRD in may parts of the book, so I'm sure lots of what is there is right from his head and as he sees things, too.

Sadly, the author of the Atlas of the Land, Karen Wynn Fonstad (a fellow Wisconsinite), who also created other popular fantasy series Atlases, died 11 Mar 2005 of cancer at age 59.
Cowboy: Why you doin' this, Doc?
Doc Holliday: Because Wyatt Earp is my friend.
Cowboy: Friend? Hell, I got lots of friends.
Doc Holliday: ... I don't.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I found my copy on eBay about 2 years ago. As I've said before, I consider it a "must have" for any fan of the Chronicles.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Got mine on Ebay as well. Definitely feel I've completed my Chrons collection what with my multiple versions of all the books (except Runes which I haven't yet bothered to buy a paperback etc. just to have) I think Fonstad's vision and depction of the Land is impressive. The book didn't always show me what I wanted in quite the way I wanted it but probably nothing will present visuals the way I'd want like a big budget film or a richly rendered 3d video game. All in all the book is fantastic.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

The Atlas kicks butt. I had it out the last time I read the chronicles so I could actually follow the travels and such. Yes Revelstone (by her vision) is fdeifferent from what I expect, but oh well. It is still a great tool.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
slipperypick
Servant of the Land

Post by slipperypick »

Thanks all! I'm saddened to hear of the author's death, though. She's written other Atlases; I have one called the "Forgotten Realms" Atlas which is useless to me because I don't have any "Forgotten Realms " books or D&D stuff, but I just LOVE maps so much... I'm wierd like that.
"My best advice to anyone who wants to raise a
happy, mentally healthy child is: Keep him or
her as far away from a church as you can."
-Frank Zappa
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I have Fonstad's "The Atlas of Pern" also, and if you're a fan of the Pern stories, you need that book as well.
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

I think i said in the last Atlas thread that i was going to try get it soon, still havent :(

So once again, ill try get it soon. :P
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Ebay's good, but I love the challenge of picking through backwoods bookstores. There's a bunch in Seattle, and If you look hard enough, youll find one. I got mine for like five bucks!
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

my recomendation would be to make sure you read the Chrons first, forming an uninfluenced (is that a word?) mental picture of everything, THEN get the atlas. It is interesting and neat, but much of it differs from my mental pictures ... which I like better.
<grin>
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Maybe I'm biased because I've never even seen the Atlas (other than the few pages that were scanned here)--But I feel that a map can take away from the story...If you constantly have to go back and forth looking at the map, trying to figure out exactly where everyone is, I'd think it would take away from the reading flow.

Although I would like to look at it just once...since SRD says that the maps in the books aren't as acurate.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

True, SRD was never happy with the maps in the books. Which is why I trust the maps in the Atlas to be a much more accurate representation of the Land. Considering that SRD collaborated closely with Fonstad on the project, the Atlas is as accurate as anyone could hope for. Of course, that doesn't suddenly invalidate the reader's own imagination - yours or mine. The Atlas is still just an artist's conception of the Land, though the artist was a clearly devoted one. It is a work of Fonstad's imagination, too, not just Donaldson's. The rest is up to you the reader to interpret as you please, according to your imagination.

I view the Atlas the same way I might view Gilden-Fire: these two publications may not be strictly essential to the Chronicles, but since they do exist for the taking, it's a sweet bonus to have them. Especially since there is an absolute dearth of official Chronicles-related material in bookstores. (And I sure as hell am not holding my breath for the proverbial Covenant PC game, heh.)

As for the problem of constant map consulting taking away from reading flow...well, in my case that's not issue. I enjoy the Chrons on their own, and the Atlas on its own. As I'm reading particular chapters, I'll occasionally think about what I saw in the Atlas. As I'm reading the Atlas, I'll think about a certain passage I read in the books. It's a fun mental association game.

Finally, if readers - particularly those new to the Chrons - do fuss over the maps, so what? What's wrong with looking at interesting drawings? :P If the Atlas helps them understand the layout of the Land better, isn't that a good thing? It sure helped me. I don't know about you, but I suck at visualizing geography. I need all the help I can get. In that sense, the Atlas truly is an essential tool - for me. I did not comprehend a lot of the geographical and architectural details that SRD described until the Atlas came along and I got the picture at last. :)
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

Sweet! This sounds good to have. I'll see if I can track down a copy. However, I don't think I'll luck out like I did with Gilden-Fire--just walked into my local used bookstore and found it for $4. But anywho. . . thanks for the info. :)

~Lyr

Buckarama
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Buckarama »

I did a search on amazon and came up with this :)

I hope these are real because I just ordered one!

www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0345314 ... dition=all
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Hunh. The page wouldn't load for me. Maybe Amazon is having issues today.

BTW, I recently found out what happened to my copy of the Chronicles Atlas: the ex has it. Along with the Pern Atlas. And it's a little late to dicker over property, since the divorce was final in '97. Phooey. :| :x

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Buckarama
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Buckarama »

Cheaper than the two houses I bought,...

but I'm not bitter :)

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”