Ranking Marvel characters

Look! Up in the sky! *To be continued...* (This story continued in KW Comics #263)

Moderators: dANdeLION, aTOMiC, sgt.null

dlbpharmd
Lord

Ranking Marvel characters

Post by dlbpharmd »

This goes along with the Avengers cartoons - would one of the Marvel experts please rank the Marvel characters in terms of strength, speed, intelligence, etc?
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

No thanks! Jeez, if you want to fight incessantly over things that aren't even real, visit the bloody Tank!
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Uh, OK. Never mind then.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

This isn't exhaustive in categories, or even within the categories I discuss. But I have three kids screaming at the moment, so it's a start.

There is no known upper limit to the Hulk's strength. Muscle-power-wise, he is potentially the strongest being from Earth.

Juggernaut truly is an unstoppable force. He cannot be physically hurt, and is as stong as anybody but the potential Hulk.

Thor and Hercules are equally strong to Juggs and each other. Of course, Thor has one hell of a weapon. He has made the Silver Surfer feel quite humble. Of course, SS is about as powerful as they come, and, if I had to bet, my money would be on him. But he's not from Earth, so...

Makkari is likely the fastest. In Quasar, he became the undisputed fastest runner in the universe, but I don't know how long that lasted. The Eternals have a mini in progress, so we'll see what he's up to soon enough.

Reed, Tony Stark, and Doom are likely tied for smartest. Each in his own way.

Best martial artist title might be a tie between Shang Chi, Iron Fist, Elektra, and Cat (Shen Kuei). Again, if I had to bet, I'm picking Shang.

Magneto could destroy the world if he wanted, though I don't think he could rule it.

Dr. Strange could destroy the world if he wanted, and he could rule it if he wanted.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Fist and Faith wrote:This isn't exhaustive in categories, or even within the categories I discuss. But I have three kids screaming at the moment, so it's a start.

There is no known upper limit to the Hulk's strength. Muscle-power-wise, he is potentially the strongest being from Earth.

Juggernaut truly is an unstoppable force. He cannot be physically hurt, and is as stong as anybody but the potential Hulk.

Thor and Hercules are equally strong to Juggs and each other. Of course, Thor has one hell of a weapon. He has made the Silver Surfer feel quite humble. Of course, SS is about as powerful as they come, and, if I had to bet, my money would be on him. But he's not from Earth, so...

Makkari is likely the fastest. In Quasar, he became the undisputed fastest runner in the universe, but I don't know how long that lasted. The Eternals have a mini in progress, so we'll see what he's up to soon enough.

Best martial artist title might be a tie between Shang Chi, Iron Fist, Elektra, and Cat (Shen Kuei). Again, if I had to bet, I'm picking Shang.

Magneto could destroy the world if he wanted, though I don't think he could rule it.

Dr. Strange could destroy the world if he wanted, and he could rule it if he wanted.

Let's not forget about Sentry and perhaps the most powerful of them all...he kicked Galactus' butt once .... Dr. Strange!!!
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

Onslaught kicked EVERYONE's butt!!

He took Juggy - kicked his ass - and shoved him into his mystic jewel!!

THAT's what I'm talkin about!!!! :P
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Michael Korvac?

ImageImage
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

A Gunslinger wrote:
Fist and Faith wrote:blah blah blah blah blah

Let's not forget about Sentry and perhaps the most powerful of them all...he kicked Galactus' butt once .... Dr. Strange!!!
Heh
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

well Thanos should be ruling the universe.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

sgtnull wrote:well Thanos should be ruling the universe.
But we all know he doesn't really want to! ;)

And of course, if ruling the universe is where it's at - the Beyonder is IT - and EVERYTHING else!!! lol
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Except that you're forgetting whoever used to wield the Infinity Gauntlet before Eternity had the Living Tribunal judge its use uncostitutional... :P Oh, and then you have the Living Tribunal itself, of course.

But outside of cosmic entities, Sentry is also quite powerful... possibly on Superman levels, or along those lines, as I recall.

Edit: Actually, in the first Sentry miniseries, it was speculated that he was also immortal and omnipotent, which is definitely one rank above Superman ;)
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Fist and Faith wrote:This isn't exhaustive in categories, or even within the categories I discuss. But I have three kids screaming at the moment, so it's a start.

Thanks, Fist - this is what I was looking for.

Re: Hulk - I asked a buddy of mine about this last night, and he said pretty much the same thing that you said about Hulk - but he said, pound for pound, Spider Man is the strongest character.
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Creator wrote:

And of course, if ruling the universe is where it's at - the Beyonder is IT - and EVERYTHING else!!! lol
The Beyoner was a p*ssy. Nothing more than a 2nd rate Trelane from the Squire of Gothos ep. of Star Trek.

Forgive my bluntness...I have yet to have coffee, :evil:

ImageImage
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

A Gunslinger wrote:
Creator wrote:

The Beyoner was a p*ssy. Nothing more than a 2nd rate Trelane from the Squire of Gothos ep. of Star Trek.

Forgive my bluntness...I have yet to have coffee, :evil:
Yeah ... thems fighting words!!! May Q (if we're reaching for Star Trek! ;) ) throw your butt to the Borg!! :P
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Didn't Peter David, in one of the Star rek novels reveal that Trelane WAS a Q?

ImageImage
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I wouldn't have remembered it was Peter David, but yes, in Q-Squared. That was a great book! Trelane ripped Q to shreds, and threw him back in time. The recovering Q-energy is, among other things, the field at the edge of the galaxy that changed Gary Mitchell in the Kirk-pilot.

Thanos has been one of the great characters. And I suppose we could stretch it and say he's also from Earth. He wasn't born there, but his father was, and his mother may have been. (She may have been one of the Eternals who was exhiled from Earth, or she may be the offspring of that group. I don't think we've ever been told.) He's certainly been the most powerful character in the universe.

I still have a tough time including Sentry in the Marvel Universe. Bendis is awesome and all, but what a weird thing to do...

Yeah, dlb, Spidey is pretty damned tough. The Thing is, too. Heck, he's the only being Champion would ever give a rematch! :lol:

Wonderman is (Or was? Not sure of his current status.) about as strong as any human ever got.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Fist and Faith wrote:I wouldn't have remembered it was Peter David, but yes, in Q-Squared. That was a great book! Trelane ripped Q to shreds, and threw him back in time. The recovering Q-energy is, among other things, the field at the edge of the galaxy that changed Gary Mitchell in the Kirk-pilot.

Thanos has been one of the great characters. And I suppose we could stretch it and say he's also from Earth. He wasn't born there, but his father was, and his mother may have been. (She may have been one of the Eternals who was exhiled from Earth, or she may be the offspring of that group. I don't think we've ever been told.) He's certainly been the most powerful character in the universe.

I still have a tough time including Sentry in the Marvel Universe. Bendis is awesome and all, but what a weird thing to do...

Yeah, dlb, Spidey is pretty damned tough. The Thing is, too. Heck, he's the only being Champion would ever give a rematch! :lol:

Wonderman is (Or was? Not sure of his current status.) about as strong as any human ever got.
Well, technically speaking the Hulk is more human than Wonderman, given that Wonderman is made of ionic energy ;) As for Thanos's mother, it was never explained exactly; Universe X posited that she was a Skrull (hence Thanos's vaguely skrull-like traits), but that story was never canon, so...
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Yeah, but Wonderman started human. Heh. Anyway, Earth-origin is what I'm going for.

I know next to nothing about Universe X. (I wonder when we'll run into Ultimate Thanos.) As for the regular Thanos, his mother's origin has long been known. (Unless there's some stupid ret-con I don't know about.) It was first told by Mentor in Starlin's early days on Captain Marvel. Here's a good rundown of the Eternals:
www.marveldirectory.com/groupsandteams/eternals.htm
Thanos is one of the sons (the other famous one being Eros, who was briefly an Avenger using the name, God help us, Starfox.) of Alars/Mentor and Sui-San.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Wait.
I'm an old school (pre-2000) Marvel guy.

It was almost always Thor who stood last when all the Marvel hero's gathered together to fight the ultimate super baddies.

Thor is the highest ranking (non-power-cosmicly-enhanced) Marvel character in my book.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Well, that is, before the Ragnarok storyline, when he pretty much became a cosmic entity, right?

Of course, the question is whether the Thor who just appeared in Civic War is the original one or not...

Return to “dANdeLION's Comics Cave”