Speculation on elapsed time...

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

Hound Of Chulainn
Ramen

Speculation on elapsed time...

Post by Hound Of Chulainn »

I'm trying to piece together the schedule of events in the Gap Sequence. Mostly I'm trying to work out travel times between Com-Mine and Amnion space; Thanatos and Valdor Industrial, etc.

As near as I can figure, the series proper (excluding The Real Story) takes place over the course of three or four weeks, but I'm a little fuzzy about it all. It seems like it could potentially have happened over the course of as little as two weeks. I'm about to re-read it (it'll be my second go of it) and see what I can come up with, but if anyone has any better ideas it'd help.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Endut!
Hoch Hech!
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

i have no idea and i don't have time to read it again right now to figure it out either. i'll check back here for your findings tho. :biggrin:

Sorus or Loremaster would prob'ly know.
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Loredoctor
Lord

Re: Speculation on elapsed time...

Post by Loredoctor »

Hound Of Chulainn wrote:I'm trying to piece together the schedule of events in the Gap Sequence. Mostly I'm trying to work out travel times between Com-Mine and Amnion space; Thanatos and Valdor Industrial, etc.

As near as I can figure, the series proper (excluding The Real Story) takes place over the course of three or four weeks, but I'm a little fuzzy about it all. It seems like it could potentially have happened over the course of as little as two weeks. I'm about to re-read it (it'll be my second go of it) and see what I can come up with, but if anyone has any better ideas it'd help.
I know that with each book the time period shortens. It's months in FK, but the last book covers a couple of days (I believe).
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

It felt to me like TRS took place over 3-4 weeks (largely because Bright Beauty was holed up in that asteroid for quite a long time), FK seemed like several months due to Captain's Fancy's long journey in real space and Angus' surgery and training. I'd say the next few books occur over a couple of days each, then TDAGD feels like about 12 hours, if that.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Dirty Whirl
Woodhelvennin

Post by Dirty Whirl »

Dont forget the epilogues at the end of TDAGD! They take 5 days!
She looked like a crowned vestal, somehow both powerful and fragile, as if she could shatter his bones with a glance and yet would fall from her seat at the touch of a single hurled handful of mud. She daunted him.
- TIW

Return to “The Gap Series”