A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

paul.mac
Servant of the Land

Anybody read...

Post by paul.mac »

Hi,

Has anybody read:
The Hickory Staff: Book 1 of 'The Eldarn Sequence' by Jay M. Gordon and Robert Scott? The back cover says that the author builds worlds in the vein Stephen Donaldson (can't remember the exact words) but was wondering if anybody has read the book and would care to comment on it?

Thanks
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

No, I haven't heard of it. I'll keep my out for it, though. In my experience, collaborations are either excellent, or rubbish. Too often I run into the latter, so I tend to avoid them. ;)

Please let us know how it goes. :)

~Lyr

Phantasm
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Anybody read...

Post by Phantasm »

paul.mac wrote:Hi,

Has anybody read:
The Hickory Staff: Book 1 of 'The Eldarn Sequence' by Jay M. Gordon and Robert Scott? The back cover says that the author builds worlds in the vein Stephen Donaldson (can't remember the exact words) but was wondering if anybody has read the book and would care to comment on it?

Thanks
That back cover sounds like a desparate attempt to draw in the unsuspecting reader with the promise of a Donalsonesque journey, whilst in all probability, you are going to end up on a journey through the slums of fantasy.

Obviously, I've never heard of the book,and I could be totally wrong here - (But I doubt it :biggrin: )
Quote - John Smeaton (Terrorists take note)

"This is Glasgow- we'll just set aboot ye"

Torrent
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Torrent »

I've started reading the Hickory Staff and so far

- the characters have all been two-dimensional (the nerd, the athletic guy, the amazingly beautiful blonde who falls in love with the nerd for no apparent reason ...)
- the reactions to their transformation to another world have been very unbelievable (see quote)
- the author should have sticked to one, two or even three POVs or should at least try to keep them separate
- no depth whatsoever (but a huge amount of pseudo-comical dialogue in the most improbable situations)

I'll give you one character's first reaction to being transformed to another dimension/world:

'This can't be.' He took several deep breaths, then told himself, 'Wait. Don't think yet, just look around. This will all make sense when I calm down. Just slow down.'
Feeling the steady motion of cool water against his ankles, soaking down into his boots, Mark began slowly to relax. 'It has to be the pizza. Maybe I had some bad mushrooms or old cheese or something: this is all a halluzination.'
Finding solace in that possibility, he continued to talk out loud. 'Wait it out. Just like a bad drunk, just wait it out.'

Yep, this is about as psychological as it gets. I'm on page 140 but I don't expect much improvement.

Sorry for the rant. I had to let it out somewhere. 8)
gyrehead
Woodhelvennin

Post by gyrehead »

Have read both books for my reading group. They aren't horrible. But they are not great either. Not quite good without being bad.

Plenty of bad elements though. Predictable plotting. Characters that are flat indeed. And some very cheap theatrical ploys.

Still, for a dual effort, it is not bad. Very Feist meets, say, Clive Clussler. For the current batch of relatively new authors, this pair is no worse than Joe Abercrombie and a bit better than, say, Tom Lloyd. In fact as trope heavily derivative as The Eldarn Cycle is (and one very heavy red-shirting of a character that is almost criminal), I would actually say in terms of accessibility and ease of prose, they surpass Abercrombie as Abercrombie really cheats at several points in terms of action and the First Law books just seem to stumble along aimlessly.

All in all, I would not recommend The Eldarn Cycle as I, on a totally subjective level think there are plenty of other authors and works that are consierably superior.

But if you like quest-adventure works and like quick and relatively easy works; if Scott Lynch completely shocked the heck out of you with his "twist"; if Tom Lloyd created a scintallatingly complex world and plot; if Joe Abercrombie represents the new voice in fresh fantasy; if Raymond Feist is still a master with his last and current series; if Christopher Paolini is original to you; or Sara Douglass is incredibly enjoyable, you might want to delve into this.

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”